Draft Day 1 Thread

Heads22

Stood 5 feet to Omar Minaya Saturday who was at the game I was to evaluate Justin O' Conner. He pitched and was not on his A game, consistant in low 90's, but 3 walks and 3 HBP ended up costing him the game in a 3-1 loss. He did however hit a 400 foot bomb to dead center. We will see where he ends up.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Mike Leake was obviously the second-best pitcher in the Strasburg draft. So, no.

The description fits Leake to a T. Polished college arm. Not a lot of upside but a very good chance to become a #3 starter. Fastball that sits 88-90. His average fastball this year has been 88.5 mph.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
The description fits Leake to a T. Polished college arm. Not a lot of upside but a very good chance to become a #3 starter. Fastball that sits 88-90. His average fastball this year has been 88.5 mph.

Only reason I brought that up is that other teams have pulled off that move with some success in the first round. The problem is not going after those type of guys, the problem is going after those type of guys and then figuring out too late that they're awful.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
Only reason I brought that up is that other teams have pulled off that move with some success in the first round. The problem is not going after those type of guys, the problem is going after those type of guys and then figuring out too late that they're awful.

Of course there are exceptions (Leake's final college year is comparable to Broadways), but with us, I don't think the issue is only drafting soft tossers vs. those who are more projectable, but this inability we have to develop anyone, at any slot.

Perhaps Loux will have a successful career somewhere. All I know is when I hear ourselves associated with him I go back to the pitiful years of drafting and the mindset which allowed our failures to flourish, mainly this idea of drafting safe. It was as if people were thinking of them more as trading chips than contributing players down the line.

Sickels said this;

Brandon Workman, RHP, University of Texas: I had Brett Eibner here last time and I still think that makes a lot of sense theoretically, but the White Sox are reportedly closer to wanting Wimmers, Workman, or Barret Loux.

I'd like for Colon to slide down to 13, but doubt that happens. Wimmers is too Lance Broadway / Kyle McCullough for my liking.

With the uncertainity the talent available at 13, it would be great to go after a guy who slips for signability reasons, and there surely will be at least one. If you sign him, you get a high caliber guy, the more likely scenario is that you get to pick at 13 again next season when the draft is deeper in that area. Rather than taking one of these pitchers that project to being bullpen guys on the ML level, according to Laws/Scouts Inc evals, roll the dice and gamble on getting an impact player as there does not appear to be one available this year.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Sickels said this;

I'd like for Colon to slide down to 13, but doubt that happens. Wimmers is too Lance Broadway / Kyle McCullough for my liking.

Even Workman doesn't do much for me. Few aside from Harvey and Ranaudo do. This draft doesn't seem to have a lot of pitching depth, that's atleast the perception I get from looking around at profiles of players projected to be available around our slot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
John Manuel had this to say about Loux: Reports of velocity up to 96 mph, but he has fringy secondary stuff and medical issues. Had elbow issue last year, and there are whispers of other medical problems.

Goldstein and Frankie Piliere were saying that he's seen as the money saving option. Definitely not a legit mid 1st rounder.

I really hope we can look back at this thread in 3 years and make fun of how wrong we were with saying we didn't like the pick of Loux or Workman. With that said, I also want to tell myself in 3 years that I really need to stop watching reality shows on MTV.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
Keith Law brings up another possible shocker with Chance Ruffin linked to the Reds at #12.

wouldn't shock me, as they'd go with the immediate fix to their bullpen. Dusty's not the most patient of fellas.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
I have a feeling a few desirable players will slip in the range of the Sox, but they will end up bypassing them anyways.

100% agree...only hope is that Keith Law seems pretty sure Grandal is our main target. If we end up taking an extremely cheap player over some of these talented college players that will be available, it will make me hate this past offseason even more where we just wasted money it seems.