Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN

Heard this from multiple executives: The White Sox have made it clear they are open for business, and ready to trade off parts from what has been a very disappointing team. The perception of other teams is that Paul Konerko is available right now, and as we know, Chicago GM Ken Williams is a deal-maker,someone who will move quickly -- as he did with the Contreras and Thome deals last fall.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
I was hoping that they'd re-sign PK to a three-year extension at a reduced salary. If they're willing to deal him, I imagine that Mark might be on the trading block as well.

I don't think there's anyone on this team you don't trade if the price is right.

The difference between MB and PK is...you're asking a team to give up an awful lot more for MB, because he's signed for longer, and you're asking another team to pay based on performance he hasn't replicated this season.

I could still see PK14 come back next year even if he's dealt, if he wants to, on perhaps a 1-2 year deal. I'd be surprised if there's any team in MLB who will offer him a 3 year deal.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
I was hoping that they'd re-sign PK to a three-year extension at a reduced salary. If they're willing to deal him, I imagine that Mark might be on the trading block as well.

Maybe he goes away as a rental (and possibly win another ring), and come back home to the Sox in the offseason.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
Maybe he goes away as a rental (and possibly win another ring), and come back home to the Sox in the offseason.

It'll probably depend on whether or not Kotsay wants to come back as the DH, he's obviously the first option.

Was only going to be a matter of time.

KW should be trying to get a dialogue going with the Angels about Konerko, while the Cardinals have always been after Buehrle and as much as it pains me to say it because Buehrle's been my favorite player for the Sox over the years, it might be best for both sides to move on.

We're not going to make the playoffs no matter what we do with the roster, so let's salvage something from the season by acquiring some quality prospects and giving some major league time to Flowers and Viciedo by the time the season is out.

So who are the vets? The usual suspects are AJP, PK, MB.

Knowing KW, he will want to simply re-tool for next year and not trade away players with multi-year deals. So I think its just the first 2 and perhaps Freddy, Andruw Jones, Vizquel, Kotsay. Granted you aren't getting much for them but it keeps this team intact hoping for the rebound next year that didn't come in first 3 months this year. Also, gives an opportunity to see what Viciedo and/or Flowers, Hudson bring in terms of needs for next season.

I think we may get some near ready, "change of scenery" prospects like we did with Floyd as opposed to stud prospects or low level, high ceiling guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
I wonder if this is a true story, or something planted as a last resort to wake this team up?

Last year, there was a report of KW calling other teams to try to dump players hours before THome and Contreras departed.

Frankly, this is probably aimed more at other GM's than anyone else if its' deliberate. It's a "hey, call me" message.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
So who are the vets? The usual suspects are AJP, PK, MB.

Knowing KW, he will want to simply re-tool for next year and not trade away players with multi-year deals. So I think its just the first 2 and perhaps Freddy, Andruw Jones, Vizquel, Kotsay. Granted you aren't getting much for them but it keeps this team intact hoping for the rebound next year that didn't come in first 3 months this year. Also, gives an opportunity to see what Viciedo and/or Flowers, Hudson bring in terms of needs for next season.

I think we may get some near ready, "change of scenery" prospects like we did with Floyd as opposed to stud prospects or low level, high ceiling guys.

I think ideally you'd move a guy like Pierre on, but I don't think many teams are going to be interested.

Quentin is the wild card, we all know about his talent, but right now he's a major reason why we've struggled on offense. Depends on if a team if willing to offer something really good, but I think you keep him otherwise.

Floyd you'd probably like to move considering what he's produced this season, but moving him could be hard also, although a team like the Brewers is desperate for decent starting pitching.

Jenks you definitely try to move, Philly could be a good option, time to give Thornton the closing role, he's proved he can handle it.

Should all be about freeing up some salary, bringing in some quality prospects, and try to re-tool in the FA / trade market for the next off-season.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
I think ideally you'd move a guy like Pierre on, but I don't think many teams are going to be interested.

Quentin is the wild card, we all know about his talent, but right now he's a major reason why we've struggled on offense. Depends on if a team if willing to offer something really good, but I think you keep him otherwise.

Floyd you'd probably like to move considering what he's produced this season, but moving him could be hard also, although a team like the Brewers is desperate for decent starting pitching.

Jenks you definitely try to move, Philly could be a good option, time to give Thornton the closing role, he's proved he can handle it.

Should all be about freeing up some salary, bringing in some quality prospects, and try to re-tool in the FA / trade market for the next off-season.

You dont move Floyd, Danks, Hudson or Peavy obviously. The rest can go as far as arms. You'd like to at least keep Thornton, Putz and Santos out of the pen, but I'm sure none are untouchable.

As far as bats. You keep Rios, Beckham, Quentin, Alexei and thats about it. The rest can go. You'd hope to get some serious value for Konerko if you need to move him to be honest.

Your entire push should be acquiring some cheaper bats so that we can free up salary to possible buy some pitching next season. C Lee should be there push although they prob wouldnt even try to afford him.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
I hope that Ozzie is shown the door before Opening Day 2011, as well as the advance scouting and hitting coaching staffs. I just don't have confidence anymore that they can do what is needed with any new players brought in.

Agreed, this team on paper should be good enough to be around the .500 mark at least, but for whatever reason that just hasn't happened, and I think you have to look at Ozzie first and foremost and the other main coaches.

Last year, there was a report of KW calling other teams to try to dump players hours before THome and Contreras departed.

Frankly, this is probably aimed more at other GM's than anyone else if its' deliberate. It's a "hey, call me" message.

I can't wait. Who'd we get for Contreras and Thome ?

It was really a matter of time. It will be very hard to deal Buerhle to Cardinals. I dunno if they bite with his past 12 months record. But like someone said maybe a change of scenary will do him well.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
It was really a matter of time. It will be very hard to deal Buerhle to Cardinals. I dunno if they bite with his past 12 months record. But like someone said maybe a change of scenary will do him well.

I wonder if they have the prospects to get MB, as well as the $$$$.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
You dont move Floyd, Danks, Hudson or Peavy obviously. The rest can go as far as arms. You'd like to at least keep Thornton, Putz and Santos out of the pen, but I'm sure none are untouchable.

As far as bats. You keep Rios, Beckham, Quentin, Alexei and thats about it. The rest can go. You'd hope to get some serious value for Konerko if you need to move him to be honest.

Your entire push should be acquiring some cheaper bats so that we can free up salary to possible buy some pitching next season. C Lee should be there push although they prob wouldnt even try to afford him.

I'm not sure we could move Peavy. That is a huge f***ing contract, and I don't think anybody is dumb enough to take it on.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
I wonder if they have the prospects to get MB, as well as the $$$$.

At this point, I'm not as concerned with the prospects we receive for Buehrle as I am freeing ourselves from his contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
The difference between MB and PK is...you're asking a team to give up an awful lot more for MB, because he's signed for longer, and you're asking another team to pay based on performance he hasn't replicated this season.

I was hoping that, if Kenny decides to blow up the team, he'd deal Mark this year. Clearly, we're not going to compete through the remainder of his contract, and I'm also getting the feeling that he's on the down-slope of his career. But I agree that Kenny might want to hold off and hope that Mark bounces back later this year. He won't get much for him right now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
I hope that Ozzie is shown the door before Opening Day 2011, as well as the advance scouting and hitting coaching staffs. I just don't have confidence anymore that they can do what is needed with any new players brought in.

I've always thought that Ozzie and Walker are competent at what they do, but are average at best. Therefore, I won't be unhappy if Kenny brings a new staff in this winter.