Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

I can't see any team taking on Peavy's contract but that's what I said before the Sox traded for him and gave up 4 young pitchers.

I can see a NL team taking on Buehrle's contract but not giving the Sox much in return - which is ok with me.

Konerko should bring a pretty good prospect.

I'd love to see Floyd, Putz, Jenks, A.J., Garcia and Jones moved.

I would have to believe that Pierre, Teahen and Linebrink are untradeable.

The Sox should keep Rios, Beckham, Ramirez, Danks, Thornton, Quentin, Santos and Pena.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
How much would a guy like Harden, or reclamation projects like Webb or Bedard cost on the open-market? I'm assuming that Javy, Sheets and Lee will be getting the majority of play for the free-spending teams.

It's not just a question of how much they will cost, you also have to ask yourself if they would even want to play for us after our awful 2010 season. Unless we are willing to outbid a lot of teams, we might have serious issues recruiting free agents. And this doesn't factor in we may or may not have a new GM (I doubt) and/or manager (definitely possible) in 2011. Change at those levels could also impact our attractiveness as landing spot for free agents.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
Open for business means that anyone is on the block

No it doesn't (though it definitely means that Sox fans will make that assumption) . It means whatever Williams wants it to mean, and the same players likely to go are the same players that were already likely to go at the end of the season or sooner.

AJ

Konerko

Jenks

Jones

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
As hard as it is to believe, he was the #34 prospect in all of baseball in 1998 (#1 White Sox prospect) according to Baseball America. I'm still blown away how anyone could have thought this. He must of had quite the intangibles, since he was both offensively and defensively challenged.

Wasn't he a pot smoker, which pretty much was the reason he didn't get any better, stick in baseball. And from what I recall, after the trade, Schueler raved about getting Caruso (the main piece) along with Lorenzo Barcelo (a high ceiling guy that we expected to be the best piece when all was said an done). Howry, Foulke, Simmons, etc were all just filler.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
I don't think that Viciedo will be ready next year. He just turned 21, and has not yet demonstrated that he has the baseball skill and acumen to be one of those rare players who can contribute at the Major League Level at such a young age. Moreover, he is not nearly ready to play consistently good defense at any position.

I'd much prefer a power hitting left handed first baseman.

I agree we desperately need to add a power hitting left handed bat this offseason, but I think we'll have some flexibility as we can fill that need at 1B, RF, or DH.

Also, I'm assuming that Viciedo will be called up sometime after Konerko is moved and will get a chance to show how close he is to being ready. I think they'll end using him in some capacity (1B/DH) in 2011, but I'll admit that could quickly change based on this season's performance. I just think they'll want to inject some youth into the lineup and I think him and Flowers are the only reasonable candidates for 2011.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Wasn't he a pot smoker, which pretty much was the reason he didn't get any better, stick in baseball. And from what I recall, after the trade, Schueler raved about getting Caruso (the main piece) along with Lorenzo Barcelo (a high ceiling guy that we expected to be the best piece when all was said an done). Howry, Foulke, Simmons, etc were all just filler.

That was his first love, baseball was distant second.

I think if the Sox played the rest of the season with Danks, Pena, Linebrink, Thornton, Santos, Quentin, Rios, Pierre, Kotsay, Vizquel, Nix, Teahen, Beckham and Ramirez and Castro they wouldn't be too much worse than they are now just by bringing up 4 or 5 guys from the minors and picking up a handful of guys off waivers.

They could still win 30 % of the time.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
We said the same thing in 2007. While underachieving, this '10 team is more talented than the hapless 2007 team, and the '08 team, while not great, won the division. I absolutely think the Sox can win the division in 2011 with a couple strong trades and FA signings*. You know KW wouldn't settle for anything less anyway.

(*Shedding Konerko, Pierzynski and Jenks would net the team more than $20 million to work with, although KW's M.O. is to make a trade not sign a FA.)

The middle of the 2007 lineup was still productive and signed through the next two seasons. This year, 2 of our (only) 3 players with an OPS+ of 100 are going to be FAs this winter, and Kenny hasn't shown an interest in extending either of them. This team was also had higher revenue and more disposable income in '07 than they do now.

That extra $20 million isn't going to fund replacements for PK, Jones, AJ, Jenks, and Putz. There are too many holes to fill and JR has already stated that the organization will pull back financially if they don't draw (compete) this year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
It's not that Teahen and Pierre restrict the team's payroll where we can't afford new players, it's that they are paid well enough where I think KW will give them starting spots (assuming we can't dump their contracts). This directly affects where we could spend any savings to improve our lineup.

Well, of course they're going to get starting spots, as that was the entire point of bringing them in. But they're not the problem. Our farm system that isn't producing ML-ready position players is.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
I don't think that Viciedo will be ready next year. He just turned 21, and has not yet demonstrated that he has the baseball skill and acumen to be one of those rare players who can contribute at the Major League Level at such a young age. Moreover, he is not nearly ready to play consistently good defense at any position.

I'd much prefer a power hitting left handed first baseman.

Viciedo has been red hot lately in AAA.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
(*Shedding Konerko, Pierzynski and Jenks would net the team more than $20 million to work with, although KW's M.O. is to make a trade not sign a FA.)

Problem is we have about $16.5M in raises next season and payroll will probably be pared back with shrinking revenue streams so unless we move someone like Buehrle I'm not sure how much payroll flexibility we'll actually have in 2011 even after letting 8 players go in free agency and trading/non-tendering Jenks.

Buehrle   14	

Castro 0.2 buyout

Danks 6 ARB

Floyd 5

Linebrink 5.5

Peavy 16

Pena 2 ARB

Pierre 5

Quentin 5 ARB

Ramirez 1.1

Rios 12

Teahen 4.75

Thornton 3 option

Viciedo 1.25

TOTAL: 80.8

That's 12 major league baseball players totaling $80.8M

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2168331:date=Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:28 PM:name=Buehrlesque)-->
QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
<!--quotec-->(*Shedding Konerko, Pierzynski and Jenks would net the team more than $20 million to work with, although KW's M.O. is to make a trade not sign a FA.)

Problem is we have about $16.5M in raises next season and payroll will probably be pared back with shrinking revenue streams so unless we move someone like Buehrle I'm not sure how much payroll flexibility we'll actually have in 2011 even after letting 8 players go in free agency and trading/non-tendering Jenks.

Buehrle   14	

Castro 0.2 buyout

Danks 6 ARB

Floyd 5

Linebrink 5.5

Peavy 16

Pena 2 ARB

Pierre 5

Quentin 5 ARB

Ramirez 1.1

Rios 12

Teahen 4.75

Thornton 3 option

Viciedo 1.25

TOTAL: 80.8

That's 12 major league baseball players totaling $80.8M

One of MB or Peavy will be traded, I am pretty sure. Pena might too, and Linebrink if they can find a suitor.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
Viciedo has been red hot lately in AAA.

Yes, he has been hitting, but he also made 3 errors at first base, in one game over the weekend.

He is still just too raw, and probably needs a couple more years in the Minors.

If he made it to the Big Leagues in 2012, at age 23, that would be pretty impressive.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
One of MB or Peavy will be traded, I am pretty sure. Pena might too, and Linebrink if they can find a suitor.

I wouldn't trade Pena, especially if we move Putz and Jenks (which I think we will). We need a couple of arms to build our 2011 bullpen around. I'd hold on to Thornton (unless blown away at this deadline), Pena and Santos. We are already going to have a tough time filling the remaining spots 3 or 4 spots (depending on Linebrink), as the only internal guys who might be worth a shot next year are Torres, Threets, Nunez and Santeliz IMO.

Unfortunately, I don't see us being able to move Linebrink unless we take an equally bad contract in return, which might be a possibility in the offseason when he'll only have a year left on his contract.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
Yes, he has been hitting, but he also made 3 errors at first base, in one game over the weekend.

He is still just too raw, and probably needs a couple more years in the Minors.

If he made it to the Big Leagues in 2012, at age 23, that would be pretty impressive.

So you want Viciedo to rot in AAA for three seasons?

I posted in another thread that I think Buehrle to the Mets makes alot of sense. They may even overpay a bit for him. What's the status of Fernando Martinez? Is he still pretty much untouchable from the Mets standpoint or have they soured on him? It seems like he's been injured. Probably couldn't get him for only MB though.

Peavy seem untradeble. And on wikipedia it says that if Buehrle gets traded he gets a $19 million player option. Is that true? If yes, that was crazy for KW to agree to that. The Cards won't even trade for him for nothing.

Edited by jamesdiego

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Peavy seem untradeble. And on wikipedia it says that if Buehrle gets traded he gets a $19 million player option. Is that true? If yes, that was crazy for KW to agree to that. The Cards won't even trade for him for nothing.

It was included to protect Buerhle from signing a below-market contract (at the time) and being traded off a couple seasons later.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)

No, it is not true.

Now is the opportunity to deal Thornton. We wont receive any Top 10 prospects, but atleast there's a possibility of adding some higher ceiling, lower level players.

I know people will resist dealing him, as they'll probably bring up his value to our team and the unlikeliness of a complete rebuilding project, but just remember this moment when he's losing velocity and stealing 4+ million from our team.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)

It's sort of true. 2 things happen if Buehrle is traded...his option year becomes a guaranteed year, and there's a salary kicker for the other years, so that he makes more each year beforehand. $19 million is probably pretty close to the total amount that gets added to his contract, but it's not a 1 year, $19 million option.