Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
Even for a catcher, A.J. is not that good of a hitter. His lack of patience makes him a mediocre hitter at best.

He's a good contact hitter (this season notwithstanding), but agreed that his plate discipline is terrible.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
Disagree on selling low on Floyd. I still think Floyd might end up being a better pitcher than Danks. He doesn't seem like much of an injury risk with his easy delivery. With that curveball and his ability to go deep into games, he's one of our few quality contracts.

AJ has to go now.

People are going to keep saying that until both of them are retired. And when that happens, Danks will still have the better numbers and been the much better pitcher throughout their careers.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
People are going to keep saying that until both of them are retired. And when that happens, Danks will still have the better numbers and been the much better pitcher throughout their careers.

QFT

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Yes, because results for a half season mean more than their entire careers. Peavy is a #1 and has gone through 2 major mechanical tweaks this season alone. He will be our Ace for the next several years. If you dont believe Danks is a #2 then you havent been watching him. He is one of the better LHP in the AL. Buehrle is having a bad season, how many good ones has he had? Just because the results arent there for a few months, doesnt mean thats the type of players they are.

I completely agree with you about Danks and Buehrle, but I'm not sold on Peavy. I'm sure he won't be this bad if he continues to pitch for the Sox, but I don't think there's any guarantee that he'll be our #1 or Ace (especially because I think Ace is very subjective, and there are only about 10-15 in the entire league). In the AL, I don't believe he's as good as he was in the NL. The key will be just how much of a difference that switch makes.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
I completely agree with you about Danks and Buehrle, but I'm not sold on Peavy. I'm sure he won't be this bad if he continues to pitch for the Sox, but I don't think there's any guarantee that he'll be our #1 or Ace (especially because I think Ace is very subjective, and there are only about 10-15 in the entire league). In the AL, I don't believe he's as good as he was in the NL. The key will be just how much of a difference that switch makes.

Also, his ERA at PETCO Park is 2.74 ERA with a 1.08 WHIP, while his career #'s are 3.40 & 1.19, so that definitely helped him out in the past.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Yes, because results for a half season mean more than their entire careers. Peavy is a #1 and has gone through 2 major mechanical tweaks this season alone. He will be our Ace for the next several years. If you dont believe Danks is a #2 then you havent been watching him. He is one of the better LHP in the AL. Buehrle is having a bad season, how many good ones has he had? Just because the results arent there for a few months, doesnt mean thats the type of players they are.

Peavy has been #1 starter in the NL in a pitchers park, and has had some injuries in recent years. Maybe he gets back on track in July when the team is 12 games out? I hope you're right in the long-run, this year, it may make us feel better if he pitches well down the stretch, but we just lost out on a season because he (amongst others) sucked.

I think Danks is a borderline #2, I'm close to calling him a #2, just want to see more.

Buerhle has been bad for almost one full season now. Again, I'm not writing him off, but at some point the past is the past, and what's happening now is the reality.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)

People are going to keep saying this until both of them retire. And then that happens, Floyd will still have the better numbers and been the much better pitcher throughout their careers. See, I'm right now.

Not trying to bicker over who the better pitcher is, because it is definitely Danks right now. But the way Floyd used to effortlessly pitch 7-8 innings when he was on, was something Danks will never be able to do. Danks has to work too hard to get to the 8th inning.

What happened to that good Floyd, the one who would take no hitters into the 6th like it was his job? That's why we can't sell low on the kid; he's better than this and his contract isn't hurting us at all.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Not trying to bicker over who the better pitcher is, because it is definitely Danks right now. But the way Floyd used to effortlessly pitch 7-8 innings when he was on, was something Danks will never be able to do. Danks has to work too hard to get to the 8th inning.

What happened to that good Floyd, the one who would take no hitters into the 6th like it was his job? That's why we can't sell low on the kid; he's better than this and his contract isn't hurting us at all.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
People are going to keep saying this until both of them retire. And then that happens, Floyd will still have the better numbers and been the much better pitcher throughout their careers. See, I'm right now.

That's what makes what you said wrong. :P

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Also, his ERA at PETCO Park is 2.74 ERA with a 1.08 WHIP, while his career #'s are 3.40 & 1.19, so that definitely helped him out in the past.

Part of that is because its his home park though. Familiar mound, landing spot, visual cues. Its easier to pitch at home in general. Its not all the dimensions.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 07:35 PM)
Part of that is because its his home park though. Familiar mound, landing spot, visual cues. Its easier to pitch at home in general. Its not all the dimensions.

I agree. Most White Sox pitchers pitch better at home, in fact Floyd's ERA was 3.00 lower at the bandbox last year than on the road. It probably does help if its Petco, but Peavy is too good to be a bust as long as he's healthy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)

Plus you're sleeping in your own bed, in your own house. You're with your familiar lady, and not some strange. Your dog wakes you up in the morning, and not some operator. You drive your own car to the ballpark, etc.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
Even for a catcher, A.J. is not that good of a hitter. His lack of patience makes him a mediocre hitter at best.

Where do you all you AJ haters come up with this garbage? Look at the stats before saying that crap.

Year ----------- AJ's Line ------------ MLB Avg As C ------------- AJ's Difference

2001 --- .289/.322/.441/.763 ----- .251/.313/.393/.706 ----- +.038/+.009/+.048/+.057

2002 --- .300/.334/.439/.773 ----- .253/.315/.383/.698 ----- +.047/+.019/+.062/+.075

2003 --- .312/.360/.464/.824 ----- .258/.320/.402/.723 ----- +.054/+.040/+.007/+.101

2004 --- .272/.319/.410/.729 ----- .261/.324/.403/.728 ----- +.011/ -.005/+.007/+.001

2005 --- .257/.308/.420/.728 ----- .253/.315/.390/.705 ----- +.004/ -.007/+.030/+.023

2006 --- .295/.333/.436/.769 ----- .269/.329/.416/.745 ----- +.026/+.004/+.020/+.024

2007 --- .263/.309/.403/.712 ----- .256/.318/.394/.713 ----- +.007/ -.009/+.009/+.057

2008 --- .281/.312/.416/.728 ----- .257/.325/.390/.715 ----- +.038/+.009/+.048/ -.001

2009 --- .300/.331/.425/.755 ----- .254/.321/.396/.717 ----- +.046/+.010/+.029/+.038

2010 --- .218/.257/.328/.584 ----- .257/.335/.397/.732 ----- -.039/ -.078/ -.069/ -.148

Isn't being that far above league average in every single category year after year with only a few exceptions pretty much the definition of a good hitter? It's better than good actually, IMO. Especially for a LH C who can handle a pitching staff.

The only bad year AJ has ever had offensively for a catcher is this one, but his career and his monthly splits so far suggest a turn around:

April .196/.229/.200/.429

May .241/.275/.391/.666

June .273/.273/.455/.727

And April is actually the worst month of his career statistically, so while it may be a bit surprising to see him hit that low in April, it's not surprising to see him struggle in April.

Anyone who thinks Tyler Flowers of the .215 Charlotte batting average and who has Ked in 23.4% of his MiLB PA (this percentage is also rising with level - 16.6% in A, 19.6% in A+, 24.8% last year with 24% in AA and now 34.2% this year in AAA) will somehow equal or surpass the career of AJ Pierzynski anytime in the near future just because he takes walks and has some power (LOL) is at best hoping for a miracle. MLB veterans aren't going to mess around at all with him and if he can't hit the ball off junkballers and pitchers like Carlos Torres who survive off of some itty bitty titty slider-looking thing and some command of a straight FB then he's going to get eaten alive in the Majors. Tyler Flowers isn't Ryan Howard, he isn't Ryan Braun, he's IMO just another future bust at C, and instead of dealing AJ and pretending he sucks we need to celebrate AJ for his contributions to the organization with a 2 year extension at a reasonable value, and then we need to put Tyroid on the block.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 08:38 PM)
Where do you all you AJ haters come up with this garbage? Look at the stats before saying that crap.

chw42 im sure is reading through all his saber crap and coming to his ridiculous conclusions..

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)
Masset got bombed again for the Reds today. I'll be surprised if they don't acquire Jenks or Putz.

Because the way to fix a problem caused by a former White Sox reliever is to acquire another!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
Because the way to fix a problem caused by a former White Sox reliever is to acquire another!

Hey that sounds familiar.. don't we do that with KC?

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Hey that sounds familiar.. don't we do that with KC?

I instantly thought the same thing.

For all I know, Kenny may go and get Alex Gordon to fix our Mark Teahen problem.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)

For all I know, Kenny may go and get Alex Gordon to fix our Mark Teahen problem.

At least that isnt cringe worthy.. i wouldn't mind Alex Gordon

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)

So wait, which one of them will he be turning into the relief pitcher?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
Let's face it, the White Sox are not going to rebuild the team, they are going to continue try to win, but we've reached a crossroads here - we need to find out whether Viceido/Flowers can be expected (not guaranteed, see Beckham) to contribute to next year's team.

The White Sox have no choice. How can this team win next year with the players that they have either on the parent club or in the farm system. They can't. Acquire free agents, you may suuggest? Not with the money tied up with Peavy and Rios.