Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
Well, he's basically one of the most valuable players in baseball right now. I expected him to be an All-Star caliber player.

Right now he is on par with the MVP candidates (except for the fact that we suck).

He's on par with Morneau and Cabrera? Not being an ass, just felt like he's in the second tier right now and those two guys are the king of kings.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
He's on par with Morneau and Cabrera? Not being an ass, just felt like he's in the second tier right now and those two guys are the king of kings.

Well, maybe not.

But if you factor in his defense in center as well as his base stealing, he's probably not as far below them as you'd think he is...

Thus far, fangraphs has Alex being worth $13 million to the White Sox.

Cabrera is only at $9.8 million.

Morneau is at $17 million.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
Well, maybe not.

But if you factor in his defense in center as well as his base stealing, he's probably not as far below them as you'd think he is...

Um, Miguel Cabrera has insane range. What other first baseman can go get a routine grounder hit to the second baseman?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
Um, Miguel Cabrera has insane range. What other first baseman can go get a routine grounder hit to the second baseman?

Very funny Fathom....I never recognized this biting sarcasm from you before... :headbang

Link: http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...es-looming.html

The White Sox helped promote the Prostate Cancer Foundation's "Home Run Challenge" that starts Wednesday night and runs through June 20.

But there was sobering news of a different sort, as general manager Ken Williams acknowledged that some changes need to be made in the wake of the Sox's 24-33 start.

"We're not talking about tearing something down," Williams said. "If we do something, it will still be along the lines of shuffling the deck with the expectation that we're going to add impact guys that can help us win."

Nevertheless, several Sox players could be playing their final games soon.

A BIG F'ing HUH??????????????

I guess they don't get it do they?

Long year of pain ahead.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
Link: http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...es-looming.html

The White Sox helped promote the Prostate Cancer Foundation's "Home Run Challenge" that starts Wednesday night and runs through June 20.

But there was sobering news of a different sort, as general manager Ken Williams acknowledged that some changes need to be made in the wake of the Sox's 24-33 start.

"We're not talking about tearing something down," Williams said. "If we do something, it will still be along the lines of shuffling the deck with the expectation that we're going to add impact guys that can help us win."

Nevertheless, several Sox players could be playing their final games soon.

A BIG F'ing HUH??????????????

I guess they don't get it do they?

Long year of pain ahead.

The problem is that they are stuck with Peavy and Buehrle's contract for the next 2-3 years. Even if they wanted to do a complete rebuild, they'd still be looking at $35 million in contracts just from those two players.

It probably makes more sense to reload until those contracts are either expired or movable, and if things still don't look better then, blow it up.

The problem is that they are stuck with Peavy and Buehrle's contract for the next 2-3 years. Even if they wanted to do a complete rebuild, they'd still be looking at $35 million in contracts just from those two players.

It probably makes more sense to reload until those contracts are either expired or movable, and if things still don't look better then, blow it up.

But that's the thing. Reload with what money? You trade away pieces you start losing starters and hope to go with youth I would have thought. But if he is talking about relaoding that is obviously via trade?? What do we have to sacrifice to get impact players? Nothing. The farm is decimated. I don't get his comments at all. The season is pretty much a wash. He needs to make coaching changes as well. Maybe he is also part of the problem. But this is sounding like denial of reality to me.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)

There aren't enough face cards left in that deck to win this game. And the house isn't going to continue to spot him the cash for those "impact guys."

He's either lying or delusional. While I don't advocate tearing the whole thing down, Kenny needs to understand that you can't slam your foot on the pedal every single season when you have a weak farm system and a limited payroll. Sometimes you need to take a step back before you can move forward.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 07:54 PM)
But that's the thing. Reload with what money? You trade away pieces you start losing starters and hope to go with youth I would have thought. But if he is talking about relaoding that is obviously via trade?? What do we have to sacrifice to get impact players? Nothing. The farm is decimated. I don't get his comments at all. The season is pretty much a wash. He needs to make coaching changes as well. Maybe he is also part of the problem. But this is sounding like denial of reality to me.

He'll find a way, he always does.

They'll dump AJ, Paulie, Putz, Jenks, Jones, maybe even Freddy.

They'll get prospects in return and trade some of those for something they like in the offseason.

They'll sign a few more vets in the offseason.

Then take another run at it with the core of the rotations, as well as Q, Beckham, Alexei, and Rios.

At least that is my opinion.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)

They'll get prospects in return and trade some of those for something they like in the offseason.

Then take another run at it with the core of the rotations, as well as Q, Beckham, Alexei, and Rios.

I could believe that.

I could even see it working...if Quentin and Beckham and the pitching ever appear.

I totally respect that, but as also has been just posted, you just can't keep trading away propsects or adding payroll to an already SH***Y set of ingridients. You can't anything to SH** as it will still be mostly SH**. Dunno I just don't see any sense in these comments. We obviously caught lightning in a bottle in 05 but have really sucked since then. Good inning. This is what is expected a mjority of the time, not once every 25 games or so.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
I totally respect that, but as also has been just posted, you just can't keep trading away propsects or adding payroll to an already SH***Y set of ingridients. You can't anything to SH** as it will still be mostly SH**. Dunno I just don't see any sense in these comments. We obviously caught lightning in a bottle in 05 but have really sucked since then. Good inning. This is what is expected a mjority of the time, not once every 25 games or so.

Well, I don't share your pessimism.

I think the core of this team is still very solid.

I know I am in the minority, however, I refuse to believe that this many good players can perform this poorly all at one time for much longer.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)

I know I am in the minority, however, I refuse to believe that this many good players can perform this poorly all at one time for much longer.

That raises the possibility that they're just not good players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)
That raises the possibility that they're just not good players.

Most of them are still in their primes, though. There's no reason why guys like Peavy, Floyd, Quentin, and Alexei should be playing like garbage. And while Beckham experiencing a sophomore slump after an outstanding rookie season is reasonable, hitting below .200 isn't.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
Most of them are still in their primes, though. There's no reason why guys like Peavy, Floyd, Quentin, and Alexei should be playing like garbage. And while Beckham experiencing a sophomore slump after an outstanding rookie season is reasonable, hitting below .200 isn't.

Which raises the possibility they're just not good players.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)

This is pretty much exactly what ide like to see happen..

I don't profess to know what is wrong but maybe some of this is just plain attitude if as you point out the team has a good amount of talent (I don't say a lot or a little). If you just give up then no amount of talent is going to help. You have to believe you can do it. In this desperate season people like me will make desperate comments. It goes with the territory. If it is attitude or giving up is that all on the player on some on the coach for not inspiring confidence?

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
I don't profess to know what is wrong but maybe some of this is just plain attitude if as you point out the team has a good amount of talent (I don't say a lot or a little). If you just give up then no amount of talent is going to help. You have to believe you can do it. In this desperate season people like me will make desperate comments. It goes with the territory. If it is attitude or giving up is that all on the player on some on the coach for not inspiring confidence?

If it was all just attitude/confidence, these guys would have snapped out of it just by feeling lucky after a game.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)

Yeah, there is something going on here, that's for certain. I don't know if it is poor managing, a poor collection of individual personalities, or something in the water.

QUOTE (sf_soxfan @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
What is going on with Jones?? Sadly, my attention span is not as acutely focused on this year's Sox team, but was he injured for a short time? Any reason for the inconsistent playing time apart from diminished production?

His numbers took a dump when he started having back spasms. I haven't heard it said again, but he hasn't been playing, and when he has, the numbers have been awful.

His numbers took a dump when he started having back spasms. I haven't heard it said again, but he hasn't been playing, and when he has, the numbers have been awful.

Jones came with hish risk, high reward. He started really fast but has not been a factor recently.