Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
His numbers took a dump when he started having back spasms. I haven't heard it said again, but he hasn't been playing, and when he has, the numbers have been awful.

He is just not a very good hitter anymore so he has regressed to the mean as some like to say on this board. That being said he has earned his salary this year

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:30 PM)
He is just not a very good hitter anymore so he has regressed to the mean as some like to say on this board.

He's a pretty freaking good hitter when he's healthy. Unfortunately, he can't stay healthy for long.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:57 PM)
Which raises the possibility they're just not good players.

Who specifically are you referring to? Peavy, Buerhle, Floyd, Quentin, Beckham?

Regardless, I just don't buy this theory. Players have bad stretches. Look how many half-seasons Konerko has thrown away over the years. Is he a bad player?

Now, have we overvalued some of these guys? Most likely. Quentin may never be that near-MVP again, but his physical talent far exceeds his production at this point. Same goes for Peavy. He may never be an ace in the AL, but he still has the ability to be a damn good starter. Floyd and Beckham have also been awful this year, but they both have the talent to rebound to some extent in the near future. These guys aren't bad players, they are just playing like ones currently. Give them a full season and I'm fairly confident their stats will start significantly trending upwards.

The only high-paid, low-performing player I'd start getting worried about is Buerhle. His performance has been terrible since his perfect game. With his limited pure stuff, you got to start wondering if he'll ever be close to the same pitcher he once was. I'm not giving up on him just yet, but I don't like what I'm seeing with him right now.