Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:38 PM)
Maybe in order to go to the Cards Buehrle would waive his player option if asked. But I highly doubt it. I don't see anyone even thinking about trading for him.

I think Buehrle would be willing to try and make things work out with the Cardinals as well. Of all players, he's the person that we need to be trying to trade. I can't see many people complaining about it if we did deal him, especially given his recent performances.

I just think that hitters have seen enough of Buehrle in the AL for so long and when his stuff isn't 100% like it is now, he's going to struggle.

I could see him going to St. Louis and really pitching well from the get go though.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
I just think that hitters have seen enough of Buehrle in the AL for so long and when his stuff isn't 100% like it is now, he's going to struggle.

I could see him going to St. Louis and really pitching well from the get go though.

I think it's only a matter of time before things snap back into place for Mark.

I think he'd rip the NL apart.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)

Absolutely, couldn't agree more

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
He's going through the Hoffman issue right now of not enough separation between fastball and change-up.

nah, hoffman is finished. i think mark has a lot of mileage left and i hope its with us

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
He's going through the Hoffman issue right now of not enough separation between fastball and change-up.

I think another issue for him is that he's getting everything up. That was certainly the case last game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
I think Buehrle would be willing to try and make things work out with the Cardinals as well. Of all players, he's the person that we need to be trying to trade. I can't see many people complaining about it if we did deal him, especially given his recent performances.

His numbers since the perfect game are pretty frightening:

25 GS, 5-13, 5.07 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, 3.6 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, 1.03 HR/9, 1.55 K/BB

If there were no name attached to those numbers you'd want absolutely nothing to do with him especially at a $14M+ per year price tag.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
I think another issue for him is that he's getting everything up. That was certainly the case last game.

He's leaving the change up in the zone and he's getting pounded for it, the pitch only works if it's diving below the knees, when he leaves it belt high as he has been it tends to go a long way. Unsurprisingly Fangraphs has his change rated at -6.9 for this season -- the worst in baseball -- that pitch more than any other has been the one getting hit hard. It also accounts for his miserably k rate since that's his go to pitch with 2 strikes.

Whats with trading Buehrle? Why not just trade/dump our crap players and hope for a rebound in 2011... instead of hoping for a good team in 2015?

Other than our 2011 free agents and Pierre, Teahen, Linebrink and Jenks? it'd be best to stay put and and not cheap out in the offseason like KW did this year.

Getting rid of Pierre and signing crawford in the offseason would be a start. :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Mets aren't going to take another lefty starter, as they have 3 already and that's not even counting Oliver Perez. Giants, IMO, are the best fit for Buehrle, even though Cardinals are the ideal candidate but don't have the money/prospects.

Oliver Perez is a non-factor here. The Mets are done with him, they don't like him, and they don't want him. After that, they've got a guy like Niese who they are high on, and a guy in Takahashi who they're getting good results from. Yet no one is really buying those results as an indicator of future rewards from this guy. IF the Mets could have a top two of Santana and Buehrle, LHP's or not, they'd take it.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Getting rid of Pierre and signing crawford in the offseason would be a start. :)

No, it wouldn't. You'd save $4 million for 1 year and commit yourself to a $15 million a year + OF. That's the only FA you sign. You don't get a DH, closer, or 1b, you have to find those within. Remember, you're competing with the Yankees on Crawford.

His numbers since the perfect game are pretty frightening:

25 GS, 5-13, 5.07 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, 3.6 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, 1.03 HR/9, 1.55 K/BB

If there were no name attached to those numbers you'd want absolutely nothing to do with him especially at a $14M+ per year price tag.

If you had to guess one might say it is similar to what Zito went thru in his first 2 years with the Giants, he could not buy a win and no oe would trade for him. We are kinda there with MB. I hope the Cards at least listen if he is offered.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
IF the Mets could have a top two of Santana, Buehrle LHP's or not, they'd take it.

Plus...when you count the Braves with Heyward and the Phillies with Utley, Howard, Ibanez, etc., the guys in their division have some key LH bats in their lineups.

I think MB makes sense to the Mets if KW is willing to take Perez and his $12M back he could probably get a pretty good prospect back.

Trading PK, Linebrink, Andruw, and Jenks does not make this team any better. Not now, not next year, and not in five years. You have to trade something of value to get something back namely Danks and Thornton. AJP will be a Type A free agent at the end of the season and if you cant get two high quality prospects back you might as well hold on to him, Flowers needs the time in AAA apparently.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
AJP will be a Type A free agent at the end of the season and if you cant get two high quality prospects back you might as well hold on to him.

No one is offering AJ Pierzynski salary arbitration at a starting value of $6.75 million this offseason, not at age 33/34, and especially not when he's hitting .218.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
I think MB makes sense to the Mets if KW is willing to take Perez and his $12M back he could probably get a pretty good prospect back.

Trading PK, Linebrink, Andruw, and Jenks does not make this team any better. Not now, not next year, and not in five years. You have to trade something of value to get something back namely Danks and Thornton. AJP will be a Type A free agent at the end of the season and if you cant get two high quality prospects back you might as well hold on to him, Flowers needs the time in AAA apparently.

Except the Sox would have to offer AJ arbitration in order to get the picks, something that won't be happening seeing as how AJ would accept it the very second it was offered and we'd be stuck with a ~$7M, 34 year old catcher.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)

I dont want Oliver Perez.

The Cards are worried about the money they have to pay Pujols. He makes $16 mil next season, but will get $30+ the season after. The same year as Buehrle's option yr, he will have to waive it for them to accept him. And even then, they may say no. Taking back the bad contract of Perez is a good idea.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
Thornton is a guy we deal because people will actually give up something tangible for. If KW gets a call, he should listen.

I'd like it if Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Beckham, Ramirez, TCQ, and Rios could survive the purge. I might be being stubborn, but i think they still have long-term value to this franchise.

Agreed. You are keeping Peavy, Danks and Floyd in your rotation due to age and frankly contracts. Peavy is going to be better for us than he has this year, he's just too got not to be. Becks and ramirez arent going anywhere and TCQ just doesnt have enough value to move for what you would get in return. Rios is our best player.

You would hope to add Hudson to that rotation next season and either a FA or a 5th starter like Freddy. You have a few young guys for the bench, and you take your savings from Konerko, Jenks, Buehrle and AJ and spend those all on bats plus whatever you get in return from a trade.

I honestly believe one of our best possible trade partners right now is the Cubs. DLEE, Fuk and Aramis could probably all be had at the moment if someone wanted them. I'd plug Fukudome into the lead off spot in place of Pierre and leave him in LF.