Day 2 Draft thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
I'm having a hard time complaining about our draft so far. We didn't take Wilson, big deal! Neither has every other team right now, which makes me think he's made it obvious he won't be signing anywhere.

Its not about Wilson as much as it is about improving, a bullpen guy isnt worth a second round pick. We tried that with Drew O'Neill who is still toiling away. I like the pick of Sale, though his delivery makes me a little apprehensive, but Petricka is not a guy that is going to improve the depth of the organization significantly. Minor league bullpen guys do not hold a lot of value when trying to improve a major league club.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
Its not about Wilson as much as it is about improving, a bullpen guy isnt worth a second round pick. We tried that with Drew O'Neill who is still toiling away. I like the pick of Sale, though his delivery makes me a little apprehensive, but Petricka is not a guy that is going to improve the depth of the organization significantly. Minor league bullpen guys do not hold a lot of value when trying to improve a major league club.

Agreed.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)

Petricka is a top 50 talent who should sign for cheap. The reaction on here was like we just took a short pitcher from Southern Arkansas.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
Petricka is a top 50 talent who should sign for cheap. The reaction on here was like we just took a short pitcher from Southern Arkansas.

No doubt.

I'm not in love with the pick, but it isn't anything worth hating. I'll take it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)

Thats my point, we go for the guys who will sign for cheap again over the guys that add value to the system. This is a fine philosophy if you are saving the money to make a splash elsewhere which remains to be seen.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
Thats my point, we go for the guys who will sign for cheap again over the guys that add value to the system. This is a fine philosophy if you are saving the money to make a splash elsewhere which remains to be seen.

But we're not that way, and never going to be under this owner/GM/etc. It's something you have to deal with, and just hope they do the best with the philosophy that they have.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)

He was rated as a top 40 talent that we got in the mid 60's, I just have a hard time getting all up in arms over that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
Wow, I thought the Phillies would take Wilson here. I guess I'll shut up about Wilson. He's obviously going to college.

I told you weeks ago don't be surprised to see him fall that far. I honestly thought Ranuado would fall further as well, but it was Cole.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)

SO a top 50 guy picked there is picked because he is cheap, or because he has value? I get the impression you are throwing s*** against the wall hoping it will stick.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
SO a top 50 guy picked there is picked because he is cheap, or because he has value? I get the impression you are throwing s*** against the wall hoping it will stick.

Some people get these false hopes that all of a sudden, the Sox are going to pick guys that have ridiculous overslot commands, forgetting our team's philosophy as well as JR's relationship with Bud.