Day 2 Draft thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Nationals took Cole BTW. If they sign him, that would be a tremendous addition that could potentially pair with Strasburg.

Big risk/reward for the Nats, not sure how they can affor Harper and Cole after paying Strasburg last year, maybe they are better off financially than I thought. I think Cole ends up in Miami still.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
Big risk/reward for the Nats, not sure how they can affor Harper and Cole after paying Strasburg last year, maybe they are better off financially than I thought. I think Cole ends up in Miami still.

They could easily afford both of them, just like the Sox could easily afford any draft pick they take as well.. it all comes down to if they actually will pay them or not..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
They could easily afford both of them, just like the Sox could easily afford any draft pick they take as well.. it all comes down to if they actually will pay them or not..

The money has to come from somewhere, its not like there is an infinite supply of money for these teams.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
Baseball America BaseballAmerica

White Sox go for prep arm in 5th round, Georgia prep RHP Matthew Grimes, Ga. Tech recruit, may be tough sign, touches 94 mph #mlbdraft 1 minute ago via HootSuite

Cool, I should be able to find out some solid info on him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Cool, I should be able to find out some solid info on him.

Please do that my good man. :) I wanted Tillman as far as high schoolers, but Grimes seems like an interesting get. Too bad his first name wasn't Frank.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
The money has to come from somewhere, its not like there is an infinite supply of money for these teams.

The owners of these teams are billionaires, if not multi millionaires..

Pittsburgh has a 34 million dollar payroll, they could spend if the owner wanted to.. he just doesn't..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
The owners of these teams are billionaires, if not multi millionaires..

Pittsburgh has a 34 million dollar payroll, they could spend if the owner wanted to.. he just doesn't..

We've seen 2 MLB teams in bankruptcy in the last 2 years.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
Sox select Matt Grimes. High schooler.

I love the Brewers pick in Morris. Jeff you know alittle more about him than I do.

I like Morris. One of the better college first basemen this year. Decent power but his plate discipline is not so hot.

I tweeted this on Grimes:

Grimes' fastball sits 90-92 and touching 95. Above average curve, potentially average change. Nice upside.

Good projectability too, could be a mid rotation type.

Here's a couple of notes I just found on Grimes...

Grimes continues rapid development for Hawks

------------------------------

A quote from the Georgia Tech website...

Matthew Grimes

RHP | R/R | 6-5 | 185 | Hoschton, GA (Mill Creek)

• Hall on Grimes: Has a powerful arm with great upside potential

• 20th-ranked recruit in Georgia and top 250 in the nation, according to Perfect Game Crosschecker

• East Coast Pro Showcase

• Played summer baseball for Team Elite

------------------------------

Edited by scenario

Baseball america on Grimes:

Another player with Top 200 talent who was on the rise, righthander Matthew Grimes has a Georgia Tech baseball commitment and a projectable 6-foot-5 body. Some scouts question how much weight Grimes will add to his skinny frame, but with his long levers he generates intriguing fastball velocity. He sits at 89-91 mph but touches 93-94, with the ability to throw downhill, and has improved his breaking ball, which he throws with power and tilt in the upper 70s at his best. Grimes' detractors consider him a tough sign away from Tech and worry about the life on his fastball. He does have a clean arm and good mechanics after toning down a slight head jerk.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
Morris went right after the Sox took Grimes. I think we all would have liked to seen Morris picked instead.

Was hoping for Morris as well. We got lucky with the last Auburn 1B why not try our hand on another. Oh well though, don't know much about Grimes, but it sounds like he'll be hard to sign.