Day 2 Draft thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
So did anyone see who Keith Law said had the worst second day of the draft? That's right, KW and the Sox. Did KW run over Keith Law's puppies or something?

Yeah, for whatever reason, Law is always unusually critical of the Sox. I just saw an analysis of the draft somewhere last night, stating the Sox had one of the better drafts in MLB.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
Yeah, for whatever reason, Law is always unusually critical of the Sox. I just saw an analysis of the draft somewhere last night, stating the Sox had one of the better drafts in MLB.

Our second day was average...nothing special, nothing awful. But of course, the big headline was something about how it's a tale of two Sox (Red Sox being the best).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
Our second day was average...nothing special, nothing awful. But of course, the big headline was something about how it's a tale of two Sox (Red Sox being the best).

Yeah, the article was linked from SI to somewhere else, can't find it now.... but it put the Sox as slightly above average, with Sale being a steal, and the rest middle of the road.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
Yeah, the article was linked from SI to somewhere else, can't find it now.... but it put the Sox as slightly above average, with Sale being a steal, and the rest middle of the road.

Once you get past the first couple rounds its all so much a question of system development though...

I think people are silly for ranking NFL drafts before a couple years are up. Baseball ones? My God.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
Once you get past the first couple rounds its all so much a question of system development though...

I think people are silly for ranking NFL drafts before a couple years are up. Baseball ones? My God.

I couldn't agree more with you.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Sale was a great steal. After that nothing that stands out (maybe Grimes as a good pick) either way. Nothing offensive in terms of value, no one with big upside or tools.

I agree. Didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to sound like a whiner. I fully admit every year that I've never heard of a lot of the guys we end up drafting. Therefore I make it a point to check all around the web to see what those much more knowledgeable (i.e. draft experts) have to say about our drafts. And so far, other than Sale, which most feel was a steal at #13, the consensus is that our draft was pretty underwhelming.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
I agree. Didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to sound like a whiner. I fully admit every year that I've never heard of a lot of the guys we end up drafting. Therefore I make it a point to check all around the web to see what those much more knowledgeable (i.e. draft experts) have to say about our drafts. And so far, other than Sale, which most feel was a steal at #13, the consensus is that our draft was pretty underwhelming.

Underwhelming might be a bit harsh, but I'll bring up that a lot of people were pretty mad at the Morel pick when it was made.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
Out of curiousity, why isn't there more excitement for Petricka? Dude is bringing at 98 right?

Likely because his profile sounds like a reliever. He's a right-handed Aaron Poreda with maybe more potential to remain as a starter than Aaron had.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
Isn't it from something dating back to Toronto?

We traded them Mike Sirotka for god knows who and it turned out that he had a bum shoulder. Toronto said that we knew about it the whole time and traded them damaged goods, we said f*** you and the horse you rode in on, do a better job with your pre-trade physicals and you wouldn't be in the situation. That's what happened in a nutshell.

ah- here it is

from Sirotka's wikipedia page

After the 2000 season, he was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays with Kevin Beirne and Brian Simmons for Matt DeWitt and David Wells in a deal that would infamously become labeled by White Sox General Manager Kenny Williams as "Shouldergate." Sirotka would never pitch an inning for Toronto because of a torn labrum in his left shoulder. Toronto GM Gord Ash believed that Williams did not turn over all information pertaining to Sirotka's shoulder. Ash later appealed the trade to MLB Commissioner Bud Selig, but Selig refused to overturn the trade, essentially telling the Blue Jays they should have known what they were getting into.[1]
Edited by bighurt4life