Day 2 Draft thread

southsider2k5

Pirates are gonna be really scary in a couple years if all goes right. This is what I just said yesterday.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
It'll be interesting to see from the Royals on what happens in this draft. If Grandal falls, I think that changes some complexion of it.

I will also like to say the Pirates are going to be sick in a couple of years. I can't wait till they begin their Rockies-like rise in the NL Central.

BTW, I like our second pick, but he is going to be a reliever no doubt in my mind.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
SO a top 50 guy picked there is picked because he is cheap, or because he has value? I get the impression you are throwing s*** against the wall hoping it will stick.

You don't take relievers (Unless they have absolute stud potential like Scheppers or Allie) early in the second round. I don't care where BA has them rated.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
We have another Reed in our system. :)

Sox are really stock picking on pitchers.

We desperately needed it though. Behind Hudson it looks pretty bleak. Gotta think we go offense with the #114. Maybe Hunter Morris.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
We desperately needed it though. Behind Hudson it looks pretty bleak. Gotta think we go offense with the #114. Maybe Hunter Morris.

Yep, after the Peavy trade, they're doing what they have to do in order to try and get more pitching into the system.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
the bats in our system are also bleak.. we need a lot of everything

This. Our position players are also very poor. Other than Carter (and I guess Poreda), we really didn't lose much in the Peavy deal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
Some people get these false hopes that all of a sudden, the Sox are going to pick guys that have ridiculous overslot commands, forgetting our team's philosophy as well as JR's relationship with Bud.

Or that we might pick guys that will contribute to the system, someone like a Gibbs or Dietrich that have value and can develop and can eventually be traded for help on the ML level if they get blocked. I just dont think bullpen guys have that value.

Obviously our draft strategy of drafting cheap low upside guys has worked really well and is one of the reasons we have a loaded farm system.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
This. Our position players are also very poor. Other than Carter (and I guess Poreda), we really didn't lose much in the Peavy deal.

You know that KW's philosophy though is to draft as many college pitchers as possible in order to move them through the system quickly and use them as trade bait quite often. I'm not too concerned about drafting hitters, as our development of hitters is comically bad.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
You know that KW's philosophy though is to draft as many college pitchers as possible in order to move them through the system quickly and use them as trade bait quite often. I'm not too concerned about drafting hitters, as our development of hitters is comically bad.

That is a valid point, but I thought Buddy Bell was supposed to be correcting this.

I just noticed LAA took Dan Tillman in the second. That is a tremendous pick of LAA, though I thought he would last til the third. Remember he was one of the guys I wanted the sox to take in later rounds. (other two were Shipers and Guy)

Nationals took Cole BTW. If they sign him, that would be a tremendous addition that could potentially pair with Strasburg.

Indians just took Blair. Fathom, did your boy Ross Wilson get picked yet?

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
Nationals took Cole BTW. If they sign him, that would be a tremendous addition that could potentially pair with Strasburg.

Indians just took Blair. Fathom, did your boy Ron Wilson get picked yet?

Ross Wilson, and no