Appier

Dick Allen

Not a bad thought...but he'd have to clear waivers for us to bite, I'm sure...he makes s***loads of money to be average.

"Average"? His ERA is almost 6. That's hardly average.

Oh, and he's GUARANTEED to make $12.5M in 2004, whether he's pitching in the majors or not. Looks like the Angels is going to be saddled with that burden.

NO WAY IN HELL do I want him wearing a Sox uniform.

That is one more testamonial to brilliant GM's. Giving Appier a guaranteed $12 MM in 2004 at his age??? That is insane. It is total incompetence. There are stories like this all over baseball. General Managers must take stupid pills. How can an agent even ask for that with a straight face, and then some unnamed GM says, "Okay, it's not my money. Do you want more?"

The Appier story does not top the Denny Neagle or Mike Hampton sagas, but it's pretty close.

I am not a big Appier fan.  This kind of would be like the Ken Hill move the Sox made a few years back.  I think Appier is out of gas, but I wouldn't whine over the signing.

As long as Dan Wright is never in a White Sox uniform again this season.