Does AJ get traded this weekend?

southsider2k5

AJ trade poll  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Does AJ get traded this weekend, or does he get his 10/5 rights?

• He Gawn!
    • WhiteSox4life!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I'm unclear about: okay, so he's a goner because who doesn't want a good catcher, etc.?

What exactly would we get in return for him that would make it worthwhile getting rid of him? Or is it really only just to dump him before the 5/10 kicks in?

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
Here's what I'm unclear about: okay, so he's a goner because who doesn't want a good catcher, etc.?

What exactly would we get in return for him that would make it worthwhile getting rid of him? Or is it really only just to dump him before the 5/10 kicks in?

We have Tyler Flowers to consider, ide like to see what we have in him.. if you can get something for AJ, you should do it.. especially in a down year..

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)

If nothing else...we'd be hoping to get a team to pick up the remaining $4 million on his contract.

If we're smart about it, we might target some lower level guys or some guy who is blocked somewhere, and thus get a guy who in 2-3 years looks like a steal. We're not going to get anyone MLB-ready and top flight.

If we're throwing in the towel for this season, and possibly cutting salary for next season, then it makes zero sense to waste $4 million on paying AJ for the rest of the season, when Flowers or Lucy could come up for next to nothing and have it not cost them arbitration years.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
Tyler Flowers will make everyone miss AJ. I'd re-sign AJ and try to con some team into trading for Flowers.

I'm not a fan of Flowers, but I feel like AJP went from underrated to overrated on this board. He really doesn't do anything good these days. Flowers will strike out a ton, but he'll put up possibly a better OBP than AJP and a higher slugging. Those are two things this team needs...not just a bunch of 2 out, no on singles. Flowers isn't great defensively, but neither is AJP. What's the worst that's going to happen, teams will continue to run at will against the Sox?

If he was going to have a chance to rebound anywhere, it'd probably be in Texas in that ballpark, so that's what I'm hoping for.

I hope we can trade him for a decent prospect or 2, but my guess is he'll still be around on Monday.

If AJ is traded now is Flowers even the guy who is brought up? Sounds like they liked Lucy enough while he was here, might as well platoon Lucy and Castro until FLowers figures it out. No need to bring a prospect up who is struggling and set him up for failure. I say give the other two time behind the plate until Flowers comes around and gets on a roll again.

I will be very interested to see what the return for AJP will be, I am not enamored with a Catcher who cant throw the ball back to the pitcher, not sure how he would fit anywhere else on the diamond, but probably would be an upgrade on our DH production.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
If AJ is traded now is Flowers even the guy who is brought up? Sounds like they liked Lucy enough while he was here, might as well platoon Lucy and Castro until FLowers figures it out. No need to bring a prospect up who is struggling and set him up for failure. I say give the other two time behind the plate until Flowers comes around and gets on a roll again.

I will be very interested to see what the return for AJP will be, I am not enamored with a Catcher who cant throw the ball back to the pitcher, not sure how he would fit anywhere else on the diamond, but probably would be an upgrade on our DH production.

No need to rush prospects period, Gordon Beckham is painfully enough to watch.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
No need to rush prospects period, Gordon Beckham is painfully enough to watch.

The good news with Flowers is that he can be brought up now without it costing him a year of arbitration time, and if he's going to struggle in the big leagues, we can get those struggles out of the way now.

I think that we need to keep him, he's consistently one of the best catchers in the bigs, there's only a few guys who I'd rather have behind the plate than AJ, the short list is Mauer, McCann, Martin, and Yadier Molina are the only ones i can think of who can give you close to a 300 avg and 10+ hr a year while handling the pitching staff.

We've been spoiled with AJ and I for one don't want to see him go anywhere.

The only real hole in his game is holding baserunners, I'll live with that.

At what point does it become time to move on from a 33-year old catcher who is showing signs of decline, can't hold or throw out a baserunner, has an expiring contract, and has a terribe approach at the plate? How about when your team is terrible, has a promising catcher waiting in the wings, and when it looks like you can actually get something for him. Eventually, we're all going to have to move on from the 2005 Good Feelings tour. Now, is as good a time as ever.

I posted a similar comment a few days ago, in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.

Why not package A.J. and a reliever, perhaps Jenks and trade for Chris Davis?

He has the potential to be the left handed power hitter this team is missing.

He's blocked by Smoak, and has struggled lately, after a pretty impressive season in 2008.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
I posted a similar comment a few days ago, in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.

Why not package A.J. and a reliever, perhaps Jenks and trade for Chris Davis?

He has the potential to be the left handed power hitter this team is missing.

He's blocked by Smoak, and has struggled lately, after a pretty impressive season in 2008.

Because the Rangers are in bankruptcy right now, and that deal as proposed is asking them to take on about $9+ million in salary.