Does AJ get traded this weekend?

southsider2k5

AJ trade poll  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Does AJ get traded this weekend, or does he get his 10/5 rights?

• He Gawn!
    • WhiteSox4life!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
33 runs is really not that much, and I'm kinda wondering about that number because it was listed as a lot closer than yesterday. The Twins picked up like 25 runs last night.

Either way, this offense would actually be above average if Quentin, Beckham, and Pierzysnki hit like we expected. The Twins offense is actually underperforming, compared to last year. Their pitching has been the difference.

I just don’t think this team was properly built to succeed. Obviously, the pitching staff was a major bust, but coming into the season we knew that we hadn’t put them in the best position to thrive in. I see it like this: our pitching staff was fantastic last year but was burdened by a mediocre offense. Our pitching staff was projected to be fantastic this year, and was surrounded by an offense that was projected to be (at best) equal to last year’s offense. Just because we’re pretty bad on both sides of the ball does not mean we should ignore the insane leaps of logic our management took in shaping this roster coming off last season. Now, just because our pitching staff is terrible now, does not mean it will continue to be in the distant future, because of this KW has to walk a very fine line here between unloading and reloading. This team should be competitive, but on paper never stood out as being the class of the division. Yet given the state of this division, it never really has to be.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
I just don’t think this team was properly built to succeed. Obviously, the pitching staff was a major bust, but coming into the season we knew that we hadn’t put them in the best position to thrive in. I see it like this: our pitching staff was fantastic last year but was burdened by a mediocre offense. Our pitching staff was projected to be fantastic this year, and was surrounded by an offense that was projected to be (at best) equal to last year’s offense. Just because we’re pretty bad on both sides of the ball does not mean we should ignore the insane leaps of logic our management took in shaping this roster coming off last season. Now, just because our pitching staff is terrible now, does not mean it will continue to be in the distant future, because of this KW has to walk a very fine line here between unloading and reloading. This team should be competitive, but on paper never stood out as being the class of the division. Yet given the state of this division, it never really has to be.

Going cheap at certain positions this year was the natural consequence of committing $100M to Peavy and Rios last summer and carrying other large contracts. One could correctly argue that Kenny/Ozzie made bad decisions with how that money was spent (e.g., Thome vs. Kotsay). Ultimately, though, it's very difficult to round out a roster with guys like Damon and Matsui when you have to fill 2 roster spots with a $3-4M budget.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 04:01 AM)
I'm looking at their top 10 prospects right now...looks like they have a lot of nice LHP.

I would think if we paid the $4 million remainnig on AJ's contract when he's traded that we would be entitled to a pretty decent prospect or 2.

Fangraphs

AJ is projected to be a type A free agent, so if KW doesn't get a fair offer, at least equivalent to those two draft picks, he might as well wait.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
AJ is projected to be a type A free agent, so if KW doesn't get a fair offer, at least equivalent to those two draft picks, he might as well wait.

AJ Pierzynski makes $6.75 million this season. He'll be lucky to get 1/2 that on the free agent market next season. To get those picks, the Sox would have to offer him arbitration, which guarantees him basically the same amount next year, since arbiters almost never cut a player's salary. The White Sox will not offer him arbitration if they keep him. If the Sox traded him, there is not a single team in the league that would offer him arbitration, because he would be throwing $4 million in the trash by declining arbitration. And furthermore, if he did decline, it's likely that no team would sign him until next April, because no team would want to give up a 2nd round pick for him.

Saying this again, for the 2nd time today:

AJ Pierzysnki will not be offered arbitration.

No draft picks will come back if AJ is held onto.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Ozzie in the post game interview: "AJ isn't getting traded."

Does that mean he's as good as gone by Monday? - semi serious.

Better not be true..

If KW doesn't do anything, I shall be pissed

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Better not be true..

If KW doesn't do anything, I shall be pissed

Hey, only 8 out and currently in the midst of a winning streak; this thing ain't over yet, baby! We need AJ for the stretch run!

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
Hey, only 8 out and currently in the midst of a winning streak; this thing ain't over yet, baby! We need AJ for the stretch run!

the worst possible thing to happen is for us to beat up on these National League teams

especially with another Cubs series and a Pirates and Nationals series, sigh, KW might be trying to ADD to this mess if we don't watch out..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
the worst possible thing to happen is for us to beat up on these National League teams

especially with another Cubs series and a Pirates and Nationals series, sigh, KW might be trying to ADD to this mess if we don't watch out..

Well, if he goes for a player that's ready to contribute now would be really nice.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
Well, if he goes for a player that's ready to contribute now would be really nice.

Any player he would acquire that's going to contribute is going to cost us prospects.. there is no way you can look at this teams performance through right now and justify trading prospects to try and make a run..

We already have a slim system as it is, Kenny cant be that stupid to give away the little we still have for some false hopes of catching the Twins this season.. it just isn't gonna happen..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
Any player he would acquire that's going to contribute is going to cost us prospects.. there is no way you can look at this teams performance through right now and justify trading prospects to try and make a run..

We already have a slim system as it is, Kenny cant be that stupid to give away the little we still have for some false hopes of catching the Twins this season.. it just isn't gonna happen..

I understand, but if we trade him for prospects that means we indeed are rebuilding and that's against what Kenny said and against what Peavy 'wants'.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt when guys like AJ, PK, and Jenks beat up on them and raise their own trade values.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
I understand, but if we trade him for prospects that means we indeed are rebuilding and that's against what Kenny said and against what Peavy 'wants'.

We dumped Thome and Contreras last year and didn't rebuild. Unloading soon to be free agents for a minor leaguer or 2 while saving a little cash is a good way to "reload" or "retool" (if that's at all possible) it's not necessarily a sign of rebuilding. Unloading Rios on the other hand would signify and all out rebuilding process as he is a huge part of this team's near future, AJ on the other hand likely is not that's why it would be ok to deal him and hope to contend next season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
We dumped Thome and Contreras last year and didn't rebuild. Unloading soon to be free agents for a minor leaguer or 2 while saving a little cash is a good way to "reload" or "retool" (if that's at all possible) it's not necessarily a sign of rebuilding. Unloading Rios on the other hand would signify and all out rebuilding process as he is a huge part of this team's near future, AJ on the other hand likely is not that's why it would be ok to deal him and hope to contend next season.

Understood, I guess a lot depends on if Tyler Flowers can contribute this season.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
Understood, I guess a lot depends on if Tyler Flowers can contribute this season.

If it's deemed that we're completely out of contention next month, having Flowers and AJ splitting time at C and DH might not be a bad idea.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
On the other hand, it doesn't hurt when guys like AJ, PK, and Jenks beat up on them and raise their own trade values.

No, and I hope that they do up their trade value.. but I just don't want KW to see us at like 32-35, still like 8 games out or so, and thinking we have a chance to do something..

So much has to happen for us to have ANY shot at getting back in it.. the way the season has gone so far, I wouldn't think that all of the sudden the handful of guys struggling will start playing above their talents..

We just dug too big of a hole to start the season..

It wouldn't surprise me if AJ gets traded, but a lot closer to the deadline. I think this 5/10 stuff is blown out of proportion. If the Sox are out of it and AJ has a chance to go to a team in contention for a couple of months, he'll OK it.

The Sox should be in no hurry to bring Flowers up. He's starting to hit a little better, but if he's striking out 33% of the time in AAA what will it be in the AL? Wait until he shows he can handle it. It may be a couple weeks away, a month or 2 away, next year or never. Rushing him now accomplishes nothing. Getting blown away isn't going to do anything for him.

The saving money part is questionable at best. The White Sox, according to the White Sox, are always over budget, yet they always seem to find money when they look to add a player. 2011 will be no different.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
Perhaps Oz telling AJ that he wasn't being traded (and the media hearing about it) helped contribute to the Oz-KW tiff.

I'd be pissed if I was KW and had teams interested in AJ.

It wouldn't stop him from trading AJ, and it would make Ozzie look bad if he did. I really think the Sox have no intention of trading him right now. If Flowers was hitting like he was last year, it might be different.