Does AJ get traded this weekend?

southsider2k5

AJ trade poll  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Does AJ get traded this weekend, or does he get his 10/5 rights?

• He Gawn!
    • WhiteSox4life!

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
Kenny is a gambler, if we win today & sweep the Cubs he'll stick with AJ until absolute latest. Besides, we play Pitsburgt & Washington after the Cubs.

Pittsburgh has been unstoppable against Chicago teams this season.

And we have to face Stras.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
So, if KW was, hypothetically, able to move Peavy's contract by the end of 2011 and was able to bring up Hudson and another RHP starter, and thus had freed up say $20 million in salary, and he decided to blow it all at once on Prince Fielder, you'd be mad because Fielder is past his prime?

Not if he signed Fielder, he's in his prime.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
Complete agreement!!! It used to be the team philosophy... Isn't that why we got rid of Jon Garland? Clayton Richards was just starting to figure it out.

Well that and he thought he was getting a good SS and two hole hitter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
Well that and he thought he was getting a good SS and two hole hitter.

Hell, he got an extra 2 draft pick out of that deal and a key cog in a division title season, plus a couple million in salary savings.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
I don't think AJ will get traded until closer to the deadline.

So what if he gets no trade rights?

He'll waive them when the time comes to go to a contender.

He's strongly suggested he won't. His words to describe what happens after june 13th, when asked earlier this season by the Sun Times, were "They can't trade me".

I don't know how the original question was phrased so he may have left himself an out, but that's what we have to go on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
He's strongly suggested he won't. His words to describe what happens after june 13th, when asked earlier this season by the Sun Times, were "They can't trade me".

I don't know how the original question was phrased so he may have left himself an out, but that's what we have to go on.

I'll go with logic over hearsay.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
I'll go with logic over hearsay.

Hearsay?

"I'm sure. I mean obviously everyone knows my situation, I'm a free agent at the end of the year. But I also know this, if it gets to about June then they can't trade me, so they're going to have to make a decision here pretty quick. Cause I'll be 10-5. Obviously I want to be in a place where I can win, but I would love to stay in Chicago. Up until then I have no say so in the matter, but if they find a move that they think is right and they think it will help the organization, there's nothing I can do. I'll go to a new team and be happy there, so ... I hope it works out here and this is my first choice.''

I mean, I'm no fan of the Sun Times, but calling direct quotes printed by the Sun Times to be hearsay?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)
Hearsay?

I mean, I'm no fan of the Sun Times, but calling direct quotes printed by the Sun Times to be hearsay?

Here's a quote from an MLB.com article last week...

Even with this status, though, Pierzynski said Sunday it wouldn't automatically mean he stays in Chicago for the remainder of the 2010 campaign. If the situation makes sense for both sides, Pierzynski would consider consenting to a trade.

"Obviously, if the White Sox aren't where we want to be and a team has a chance for the playoffs and to win the World Series and they come and say, 'Hey, we need a catcher,' it would be hard to say no to that," Pierzynski said. "How would you go about that? That's something [where] my love for Chicago and this organization would be a deciding factor, but it's hard as a player to say no.

"Look at Jim [Thome] and what he went to last year. You have an opportunity to go somewhere and win, if it's not going to work out here. I hope it works out here, first and foremost. I would like to stay here for a long time."

Clearly doesn't sound like he'd block a deal.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
Here's a quote from an MLB.com article last week...

Even with this status, though, Pierzynski said Sunday it wouldn't automatically mean he stays in Chicago for the remainder of the 2010 campaign. If the situation makes sense for both sides, Pierzynski would consider consenting to a trade.

"Obviously, if the White Sox aren't where we want to be and a team has a chance for the playoffs and to win the World Series and they come and say, 'Hey, we need a catcher,' it would be hard to say no to that," Pierzynski said. "How would you go about that? That's something [where] my love for Chicago and this organization would be a deciding factor, but it's hard as a player to say no.

"Look at Jim [Thome] and what he went to last year. You have an opportunity to go somewhere and win, if it's not going to work out here. I hope it works out here, first and foremost. I would like to stay here for a long time."

Clearly doesn't sound like he'd block a deal.

I hadn't seen that article yet. That does completely change his tone.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
I don't really care if we trade AJ or not. He's not costing an arm and a leg and we're not going to get much in return. The extra draft pick may be similar in value.

There won't be a draft pick, because we won't offer arbitration.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
I don't really care if we trade AJ or not. He's not costing an arm and a leg and we're not going to get much in return. The extra draft pick may be similar in value.

We'd save like 4 million dollars, as well as opening up playing time for Flowers. As I mentioned earlier, if we trade him to Texas, it wouldn't shock me though if we throw in money and get a much better prospect (since Texas has all those financial issues).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
There won't be a draft pick, because we won't offer arbitration.

Right. My bad.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
We'd save like 4 million dollars, as well as opening up playing time for Flowers. As I mentioned earlier, if we trade him to Texas, it wouldn't shock me though if we throw in money and get a much better prospect (since Texas has all those financial issues).

Flowers is currently hitting .228 with a 1/3 BB/K ratio at Charlotte. I'd rather keep him down there until the rosters expand.

Has Kenny ever thrown in money to get a better prospect in a trade? I can't remember him ever doing that.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Flowers is currently hitting .228 with a 1/3 BB/K ratio at Charlotte. I'd rather keep him down there until the rosters expand.

Has Kenny ever thrown in money to get a better prospect in a trade? I can't remember him ever doing that.

Flowers is also playing better over the last week, and I'm a huge believer that you should give him time in the majors this year in order to see if he can even be in your big league plans next season.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
Right. My bad.

I thought we did that on one of the Contreras or Thome trades for some reason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
Flowers is also playing better over the last week, and I'm a huge believer that you should give him time in the majors this year in order to see if he can even be in your big league plans next season.

Well, sure, but one week isn't indicative of a long-term turnaround. This is a guy who hit a combined .297 at AA and AAA last year. I'd wait for a longer-term improvement (at least a month) before bringing him up.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)

He also has 11 HRs and 33 RBI

If we need someone to play catcher and hit .200, ide rather it be someone young and cheap who also offers power..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
He also has 11 HRs and 33 RBI

If we need someone to play catcher and hit .200, ide rather it be someone young and cheap who also offers power..

Yeah, he has power in the minors. So did Joe Borchard.

I agree that Flowers should be brought up at some point this year, but there's no need to rush a 24-year-old who has been struggling at AAA this year. Let the kid develop.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
Well, sure, but one week isn't indicative of a long-term turnaround. This is a guy who hit a combined .297 at AA and AAA last year. I'd wait for a longer-term improvement (at least a month) before bringing him up.

I'd be more inclined to believe the full body of work, versus a short term slump. Hopefully this is the start of big things for Tyler, because having a cheap power hitting catcher would do a big wonder for this team.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)

I agree that Flowers should be brought up at some point this year, but there's no need to rush a 24-year-old who has been struggling at AAA this year. Let the kid develop.

I would leave Flowers in the minors if for no other reason than to build confidence and give Lucy some more major league experience splitting time with Castro at catcher in the bigs. Call up Flowers sometime in August or September if he continues to progress. Then next year you have Flowers as the primary catcher, with Lucy as a backup with at least a little experience.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)

Ok? So we should just assume Flowers is a bad player and not give him some playing time in a throw away year to see what we have in him.. sounds good.