Should Soxtalk Kill the Swear Filter?

Steve9347

Should Soxtalk Kill the Swear Filter?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should Soxtalk Kill the Swear Filter?

• NO! WORDS ARE BAD!
    • YES! KILL IT!

ARGUMENT A:

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
I know the swear filter was instilled to try and help make the site a more professional place for when sox org looks around. First off, i'm willing to bet that a couple of them swear also, and some potentially even on a pretty consistent basis. Much bigger sites than this one here, in every way imaginable, regarding pretty much any topic you could think of, allow swearing. Why? Because swearing is apart of everyday life, and there is no way getting around that fact. Unless you have an I.Q. of 47 you can probably put two and two together that s*** = feces, etc, etc. Why try and hide it? No one is fooled... well except those of course in the I.Q. range i mentioned... and they have no good reason of being around electronics out of the fear of hurting themselves.

It's just illogical and naive to myself. If people can handle the news, they can more than handle a bit of vulgarity.

You guys should be receiving this in the mail any day now.

337_nocussingcoverlrg21.jpg

ARGUMENT B

People get carried away.

I voted yes, but honestly with the swear filter I often find myself not swearing as much because I just hate seeing the word starred out..

But then again, how much does the filter even matter? You still know what the word is, and for the most part see it anyways..

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
I say go back to changing the bad words to other words, like f*** to fish, and s*** to shinola or something.

that would be much more awesome than the stupid filter in place now..

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
I like the swear filter...creates a lot more constructive post than just seeing "f***" whenever something bad happens.

While this is true.. I think that it would be a lot better with words substituted for the swears instead of them being "f***"

Not only would it make for some funny outcomes, but what does the current system really accomplish? Just because three letters have a * in place, you still see the word anyways..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
While this is true.. I think that it would be a lot better with words substituted for the swears instead of them being "f***"

Not only would it make for some funny outcomes, but what does the current system really accomplish? Just because three letters have a * in place, you still see the word anyways..

Even if they do get rid of it and allow ppl to spell out the uckfay word ..I'll still type it with the *'s!!

This has nothing to do with the random tangent that this thread went off on, but still..

"There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it."

Edited by Felix