KW and Ozzie replacements

harfman77

The argument if/when/why they should get fired is pretty prevalent on this board, but who replaces them if they leave. To replace the GM I would want a player development guy like Abe Flores from the Angels, they do an excellent job of identifying and securing amateur talent and which leads to success on the ML level.

For a manager, I want a former C. It seems like Torre, Girardi, Scocia, Francona all have a good idea of how to deal with Pitchers and are aware of the struggles of being a hitter. Someone like Sandy Alomar would be good if we need someone with Sox ties, or Tony Pena if we want experience.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick Hahn, hopefully.

And somebody not as ignorant about stats as Ozzie is as a manager.

Or somebody who won't put s***ty players in key positions in the lineup.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
Rick Hahn, hopefully.

And somebody not as ignorant about stats as Ozzie is as a manager.

Or somebody who won't put s***ty players in key positions in the lineup.

I see Rick Hahn mentioned a lot, but his resume doesnt really lead me to believe he is equipped for the job. He has a history as an agent and is responsible for contract negotiations. He has learned how to run a player development program from KW. That does not instill me with a lot of confidence that things will get turned around. I am not saying he is not an option, I just am not sure what he really brings. I am sure that there are a lot of people here who know more about him and I would like to hear from them.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
I'd like to see Dave Martinez from the Rays given a chance.

He wasn't too happy with JR and Schueler after the White Flag trade. Not sure if that still matters or not, but it was the reason that he left as a FA in the winter of '97.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
Kenny Williams should definitely stay. I love Ozzie, but if he can't straighten his sh*t out I'd like to see Dave Martinez from the Rays given a chance. Thunderbolt's signature about Ozzie scares the hell outta me though.

I am pretty sure that Sandburg will get the Cubs job and then Dave Martinez will swoop in and steal it from him

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 01:51 AM)
Your new manager will be Buddy Bell or Cora. Big deal.

Keep Ozzie. Sports are fun. Ozzie is fun.

Ozzie also likes hitting Mark Kotsay 5th and mismanages the bullpen every other game.

Ozzie also likes hitting Mark Kotsay 5th and mismanages the bullpen every other game.

He does as good a job as any manager could with an underachieving pitching staff and wretched lineup. He has some relievers that whenever he puts them in, fans will say he's mismanaged the bullpen that day,. Give me a break. The parts he has to work with suck.

Some people think he mismanages the bullpen when Bobby is put in to close. Put in Liney or Thornton or Jenks and some say he's mismanaged the bullpen that day.

My guess is you'll be hating on any manager after you get to know him. It's the nature of the business. You can second guess 10 things in any loss easily.

Players win games.

Edited by greg775