KW and Ozzie replacements

harfman77

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
The argument if/when/why they should get fired is pretty prevalent on this board, but who replaces them if they leave. To replace the GM I would want a player development guy like Abe Flores from the Angels, they do an excellent job of identifying and securing amateur talent and which leads to success on the ML level.

For a manager, I want a former C. It seems like Torre, Girardi, Scocia, Francona all have a good idea of how to deal with Pitchers and are aware of the struggles of being a hitter. Someone like Sandy Alomar would be good if we need someone with Sox ties, or Tony Pena if we want experience.

I have no specific guy(s) in mind. But the bolded is definitely the #1 quality I'd want in a new GM.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
I have no specific guy(s) in mind. But the bolded is definitely the #1 quality I'd want in a new GM.

You can identify all of the talent you want, unless someone is willing to write checks for it, it doesn't matter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
You can identify all of the talent you want, unless someone is willing to write checks for it, it doesn't matter.

True. But maybe the philosophy changes some with a new GM in place. It was quite clear that just until recently KW paid no attention whatsoever to the draft/farm.

For manager, i'd like a sabermetric oriented guy who knows how to work matchups and construct a lineup that maximizes scoring chances. Basically, a younger Earl Weaver/Davey Johnson.

How bout Bill James himself? He's not that old.

Joey Cory as interim manager, right now.

He may share some philosophy with Ozzie, but from his personalty we can surmise that as opposed to Ozzie, he would ask questions first, them shoot.

Bobby Valentine is interesting only if we want a different ego-centric, center of attention guy in the job.

And I don't believe it was Guillen who made the Sox relevant, it was winning.

Cowley's "opinion" notwithstanding, Ozzie and his family have been the source of much of the off-field bad publicity surrounding this season, ignoring KW's explicit instructions to focus on baseball.

KW should stay and should be given full authority to do his job. Whoever the next manager is, he should be KW's guy.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
For manager, i'd like a sabermetric oriented guy who knows how to work matchups and construct a lineup that maximizes scoring chances. Basically, a younger Earl Weaver/Davey Johnson.

I also think Kalapse would be a good fit.

QUOTE (11and1 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
Joey Cory as interim manager, right now.

He may share some philosophy with Ozzie, but from his personalty we can surmise that as opposed to Ozzie, he would ask questions first, them shoot.

Bobby Valentine is interesting only if we want a different ego-centric, center of attention guy in the job.

And I don't believe it was Guillen who made the Sox relevant, it was winning.

Cowley's "opinion" notwithstanding, Ozzie and his family have been the source of much of the off-field bad publicity surrounding this season, ignoring KW's explicit instructions to focus on baseball.

KW should stay and should be given full authority to do his job. Whoever the next manager is, he should be KW's guy.

As much as people complain about the "off the field" stuff with Ozzie's family, it's not like anyone is getting hurt or arrested. I think the soap opera is getting old too, but none of the off the field stuff is such "bad press" that it becomes a reason to get rid of anyone. If the two (KW and Ozzie) can no longer function as effective co-workers, then there is reason to fire someone, but that's the only reason the off the field stuff matters.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
Someone who was a protege of Bobby Cox and someone who was a protege of John Schuerholtz.

Dayton Moore was a protege of John Schuerholtz. I doubt the Royals fans would mind giving him to the Sox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
Now, now...just stick with "The Plan."

Didn't Mao and Stalin also have similar plans and solutions, along with Hitler?

Joking...

FWIW, I've never been impressed by Moore, it's like Coach K's proteges as well, just because they learn from Yoda doesn't make them all equally-capable Jedi Knights.

As far as Hahn goes, it's kind of MEEHHHH. A little like Dan Evans.

I'd like us to think outside the box. Kim Ng would be one. LaRussa would be interesting, but I doubt it happens. Someone will get annoyed, but why wouldn't we at least look at a couple of high level Twins' FO staff? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...maybe KW's ego won't allow himself to give in to the temptation to admit that having (and sticking with) a system and plan is better than riverboat gambling on a year-to-year basis.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
What does Hahn bring to the table? His only experience in a ML front office is negotiating player contracts from all I can see, and that is not a skill that is irreplaceable in the front office.

What qualifications did Theo Epstein have when he took over the Red Sox at age 28 in 2002?

Believe me, Hahn is qualified for the job. You don't need to be 50 years old to be a GM.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
Dayton Moore was a protege of John Schuerholtz. I doubt the Royals fans would mind giving him to the Sox.

The day that guy gets a real job with the Sox is the day I stop watching this team.

We'll be promised with lots of OBP and good defense, and then get a Mike Jacobs and Jason Kendall instead.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
What qualifications did Theo Epstein have when he took over the Red Sox at age 28 in 2002?

Believe me, Hahn is qualified for the job. You don't need to be 50 years old to be a GM.

Epstein attended Yale University where he lived at Jonathan Edwards College and served as sports editor of the Yale Daily News, and graduated in 1995 with a degree in American Studies. Eventually he took a job in the PR department of the San Diego Padres; soon Epstein would become the team's Director of Baseball Operations. While working for the Padres, he studied full-time at the University of San Diego School of Law, where he earned a Juris Doctor degree but has not ever been a member of the State Bar of California.[6]

Former Padres President Larry Lucchino became president and CEO of the Red Sox on November 25, 2002 and hired Epstein to work under him. At the end of the 2002 season, Lucchino appointed Epstein to replace interim GM Mike Port. Epstein is credited with making several key acquisitions, including David Ortiz, Kevin Millar, and Curt Schilling, during his first tenure as Red Sox GM, who were regarded as instrumental in breaking the so-called "Curse of the Bambino" and winning the Red Sox their first World Series Championship since 1918.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
Epstein attended Yale University where he lived at Jonathan Edwards College and served as sports editor of the Yale Daily News, and graduated in 1995 with a degree in American Studies. Eventually he took a job in the PR department of the San Diego Padres; soon Epstein would become the team's Director of Baseball Operations. While working for the Padres, he studied full-time at the University of San Diego School of Law, where he earned a Juris Doctor degree but has not ever been a member of the State Bar of California.[6]

Former Padres President Larry Lucchino became president and CEO of the Red Sox on November 25, 2002 and hired Epstein to work under him. At the end of the 2002 season, Lucchino appointed Epstein to replace interim GM Mike Port. Epstein is credited with making several key acquisitions, including David Ortiz, Kevin Millar, and Curt Schilling, during his first tenure as Red Sox GM, who were regarded as instrumental in breaking the so-called "Curse of the Bambino" and winning the Red Sox their first World Series Championship since 1918.

I'd say Hahn has done far more than Epstein did before becoming GM in 02.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
True. But maybe the philosophy changes some with a new GM in place. It was quite clear that just until recently KW paid no attention whatsoever to the draft/farm.

I think it's about 75% checks and 25% philosophy. If KW had a draft budget like the Yankees or Sox, the Sox system would be way more productive. But also, that doesn't we the ML club would see the fruits of that labor with his tendency to trade prospects for ML talent.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
What does Hahn bring to the table? His only experience in a ML front office is negotiating player contracts from all I can see, and that is not a skill that is irreplaceable in the front office.

Hahn came into baseball as a numbers /nerd guy. KW as a feel/baseball guy. I would prefer the numbers guy because I just think numbers over the long haul can tell you more than whatever the hell philosophy KW uses (he was good five years ago, so maybe this year he'll re-find himself??)

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
I'd say Hahn has done far more than Epstein did before becoming GM in 02.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but what has he done? Not much info on wiki. Just saying "believe me, he can do it" doesn't really mean much.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
I'm not disagreeing with you, but what has he done? Not much info on wiki. Just saying "believe me, he can do it" doesn't really mean much.

Being a GM isn't like being a manager. You don't need years and years of on the job experience to be a good GM.

That's much more of a philosophical job. You put the guy who thinks the right way in the position and he should be fine. It's not like Hahn is just some saber nerd who's never dealt with the inner workings of a front office before.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
Being a GM isn't like being a manager. You don't need years and years of on the job experience to be a good GM.

Sure, just look at all of the highly-qualified armchair GMs on Soxtalk!

You need to know how to evaluate talent, which is why a lot of GMs were former scouts. You also need to know the league and each team's farm systems extremely well.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)

I think a lot of people are projecting their beliefs onto Rick Hahn. He has never led a team, how would complete strangers already know his "philosophy"? Right now he works for someone, so his philosophy is whatever Kenny Williams tells him it is. How do we know it wouldn't be something completely different if it was up to him?