The Buyers Thread

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Targets-

Kelly Johnson, OF

Luke Scott, OF

Both are under team control for next season as well. Scott will get a bit pricey but no more so that Quentin, who he would likely replace. KJ could also play 3rd.

Ty Wiggington, 3B

I dunno how legit he is but he would probably be better than Teahen.

Alex Gordon, 3B

Probably a pipe dream but i'd love to have him.

And the big fish

Prince Fielder, 1B/DH

This likely costs more than we have got but man that would be a nice bat to have after Rios and Paulie.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
Why on earth would we be a buyer? And even if a legit answer to that question can be found, what do we have in the minors to trade for help?

To make the team better this year, and also next year. I expect any of these moves to be accompanied by a bit of selling as well.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
Why on earth would we be a buyer? And even if a legit answer to that question can be found, what do we have in the minors to trade for help?

Because the object is to win, not lose.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
-Targets-

Kelly Johnson, OF

Luke Scott, OF

Both are under team control for next season as well. Scott will get a bit pricey but no more so that Quentin, who he would likely replace. KJ could also play 3rd.

Ty Wiggington, 3B

I dunno how legit he is but he would probably be better than Teahen.

Alex Gordon, 3B

Probably a pipe dream but i'd love to have him.

And the big fish

Prince Fielder, 1B/DH

This likely costs more than we have got but man that would be a nice bat to have after Rios and Paulie.

I like all of these ideas, and I'll add notorious 2nd half performer and impending FA Adam Laroche to this list as well. Prince, I agree, is a pipedream, but every other name on your list is very realistic IMO.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing Juan Uribe starting at 3B for the Sox for the rest of the season.

I don't think it would be worth it for the Giants to give him up. They are contenders and they love him as much as we all (generally) hated him in 2007.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
This thread would be good if we played in the NL.

/end drunk comment that adds nothing to this thread

See the sellers thread, hater.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
I think the Big East would target us first.

Go watch that other crap then. This thread is about making the 2010 Chicago White Sox into World Champions. Don't stop believing.

My prediction is that we go over .500 when we go 43-42. We're going 15-11 over our next 26, but that'll have us in contention for the #2 spot in the division on July 11th after beating KC at home. From there we'll make our run because KW will wake up from his hibernation and go out and acquire us a player or two. We'll hit a good stretch from there and we'll be no more than 5 back at the end of July. This is how it's all going to play out. We'll chase the Twinkies down in August as they fade like they have for the last two years, but our pitching staff is just going to get stronger, and we'll end the season as division champs who clinch late. Teams will fear us in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 01:28 AM)
Go watch that other crap then. This thread is about making the 2010 Chicago White Sox into World Champions. Don't stop believing.

This is what I meant by this winning streak happening at the worst possible time. Do you honestly believe that the team you’ve been watching for the last three months is an anomaly? That just because we can beat the s*** out of the Cubs, (a task that others teams like the Pirates have performed admirably), that we’re suddenly going to take off, make up 7.5 games on a team that’s not only better than us, but are fully capable of making the same moves to improve their team that people are suggesting in this thread? The optimist in me would love to think that is the start of that big turnaround, the realist thinks of losing to the Indians, the fact the guys like Beckham and Q show little promise at the plate, and the fact that our Manager and General Manager are locked in a power struggle as we speak, Going out and making lateral moves to make a suicide run at second place is not going to accomplish anything. Just like delaying the inevitable by keeping guys like AJ is only going to serve to set this organization up for failure now and into the future.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)

Holy broken sarcasm detector.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)
This is what I meant by this winning streak happening at the worst possible time. Do you honestly believe that the team you’ve been watching for the last three months is an anomaly?

In some ways, yes, and in others, no.

Andruw Jones: No. He was good when he was healthy. Now he's not, so now he's not good anymore. But he wasn't expected to remain healthy. No anomaly.

Alex Rios & PK: No. They are very talented players who have shown what they can do in the past. They won't continue to be as amazing as they have been, but they are perfectly capable of having very productive years. No anomaly.

Peavy, Mark, Gavin: Yes, anomalies. They're better than this.

Linebrink: No, because he can be serviceable if not outright dominating in the first half. It'll be an anomaly if he is somewhat respectable in the 2nd.

Teahen and Pierre: No because they suck.

Freddy: No because he's got balls and has shown he can pitch off a much depleted fastball before.

Sergio: Yes, very much so, and he'll have to come down at some point.

Jenks: Yes, because he's (if healthy) much better than he has been up to this point.

Thornton, Putz, Pena: No, all doing just about what was expected.

AJ, Beckham, Quentin: Yes, they're all better than the way they've played. I'm confident in AJ and Gordon reversing this, and I believe they currently are, but CQ may need another change of scenery.

Williams, Kotsay, Vizquel, Nix, Castro, etc.: No, because this is about what was expected from them.

In short, if we get a couple pieces, and if our good players who started the season by sucking can start playing better baseball, then we are a much, much better team.

I would believe, however, that we'd be dead and buried if we played in the AL East however. But we don't, so good for us, because with a nice run we can catch those Twins.

That just because we can beat the s*** out of the Cubs, (a task that others teams like the Pirates have performed admirably), that we’re suddenly going to take off, make up 7.5 games on a team that’s not only better than us, but are fully capable of making the same moves to improve their team that people are suggesting in this thread? The optimist in me would love to think that is the start of that big turnaround, the realist thinks of losing to the Indians, the fact the guys like Beckham and Q show little promise at the plate, and the fact that our Manager and General Manager are locked in a power struggle as we speak,

Not just that. We have lots of talented players on our roster. We're not making runs off players like Carlos Silva having improbably good seasons. We've got some really good players who aren't performing and a couple bad ones who also aren't performing. We need a bat or two and some rebounds.

Going out and making lateral moves to make a suicide run at second place is not going to accomplish anything. Just like delaying the inevitable by keeping guys like AJ is only going to serve to set this organization up for failure now and into the future.

Lateral moves??? Who said anything about a lateral move? A lateral move, IMO, would be like trading a good setup man in Santos for a good RF in Cody Ross, for example. Yes, we address one area, but we deplete another. We don't need to make lateral moves when we can package a couple minor leaguers who are NOT contributing at all and deal them off for someone who is a veteran and currently producing.

Please tell me how trading AJ for some MiLB player who best case scenario probably has to fight for a bench/relief spot on the 2011 ballclub hurts our future. Please tell me how you think MLB pitchers are going to bow down to Tyroid and not eat him alive. Please tell me how holding on to a capable major league player hurts our future. Please tell me how contending in general hurts our future. Do you really think Tyler Flowers is a good enough baseball player to warrant a free reign at the MLB level? Do you really think Tyler Flowers is so good that we should abandon any thoughts of trying to salvage the season just so this wunderkind can play? I don't. Not at all.

I would believe, however, that we'd be dead and buried if we played in the AL East however. But we don't, so good for us, because with a nice run we can catch those Twins.

Good, long post, Kenny Hates Prospects. I read it.

If the sox were to add some pieces going forward, I would look to go with guys who are under-performing now but have upside. The price in terms of talent would be less, as the sox shouldn't be subtracting keys parts of the future for a short term fix. One such young guy would be Cameron Maybin. Not to say he's available. I'd also look at someone in the mold of Alex Rios last year. Someone who has a good track record, is playing poorly, but may be getting expensive to keep. Yet with Konerko coming off the books, the player's salary could be added for the rest of this year and the next.

While anything is possible, winning the division doesn't appear to be likely enough to give up any players who figure in the Sox' future in exchange for some aging veteran or half season rental. That said, there is nothing wrong with adding, as long as it works for the future as well as this season.

Even if everyone gets back on track, and starts playing up to reasonable expectations, the one missing piece is that left handed power hitter. The only pieces that this team could trade and still have enough remaining depth are one starter and, or one reliever. They have Hudson to replace one starter and they have enough pitchers who can effectively close to afford them the flexibility of moving one of them.

I'd personally favor holding on to Danks and Floyd because of their youth and contracts. But if someone got desperate for starting pitching, and had the money to spend, I wouldn't mind seeing either Peavy or Buerhle being moved.

If they could find a taker for Jenks, then Putz or Santos could close, or perhaps they could share the responsibility. Thornton is too valuable as the Southpaw set up man to consider him for the closer role.

Either Peavy, Buerhle or Jenks might be enough to get that left handed bat, especially if the trading partner has the money, or if the left handed hitter has a comparably expensive contract.

Edited by Lillian

Let's assume the Sox continue to climb back into respectability (and contention)......

Would Prince Fielder look good on the Sox? If so, what would it realistically take to acquire Prince? Although he could command a hefty salary on an open market, I feel like the 1B market is limited to only a few teams. IMO, he'd definitely cost 3 prospects (2 of which would be a higher tier).

Edited by Mattchoo

I never try my hand at this because I'm no expert on every player on every team but Quentin , Beckham and Teahan for Tejada and Markakis. Tejada only has a one yr. contract for $6 mil. so he can depart after this year. Markasis is signed for a while and doesn't get really expensive till next yr. Trade Buerhle to anyone who would take his salary and plug Hudson into his spot. Not that Baltimore would ever trade Markakis especially for 2 struggling players but its possible for Beckham and Q to become very good players again. Of course next year we'd be looking for a 3rd baseman and a 2nd baseman but Nix ,Vizquel and Lillibridge can play it this yr. Trade AJ for w/e you can get and we get even more salary relief. I know Flowers probably isn't ready but have to get salary relief somewhere. We improve RF and 3rd base D get OBP and consistency from Markakis. A platoon of Vizquel and Nix at 2nd puts up better numbers atm than Beckham does and equal or better D.

Baltimore is most likely building around Markakis so I know its silly to think they would trade him but one can dream.