The Sellers Thread

knightni

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
July 31 is 7 weeks from today. Plenty of time. No rush to make moves.

Well you might get a better offer now since the other team would have the player for longer. I agree with the premise though, don't make a move yet unless you get a really good offer.

There is no way I'm getting fooled with this team beating up on the Cubs (and pretty much the NL) prior to the last series. After inter-league is over and when the sox are still doing this against AL opponents, then I will take them seriously again. I'm with T-Bolt on the trade A.J. bandwagon, though I wanted to trade Andruw Jones weeks ago when his average was still in the .260s cause I knew he would slip there like he did last year. His OPS is still very good, though it was solid last year too actually despite the low average.

Flowers has 4 HR in the last what, 6 games? He is starting to square up again, and is striking out less to boot. Let him do his thing for a month or so and if we are truly out of it, i'm guessing AJ will waive his right so he can play for a contender. He has said as much, contradicting his earlier comments.

The market for Konerko is pretty dry right now, but it should heat up nearer the deadline, as borderline teams look to add some firepower. He looks really keyed in this season so he will probably still be pretty valuable in July.

There will be demand for our relief corp if things get uglier.

the best thing for the Sox right now (they're obviously not a championship team), is to keep playing well so that teams won't see Kenny's hand, as far as what he believes regarding whether or not his team can contend or not

the better the Sox do coming up towards the deadline, the more we'll be able to get for players. if we're 8-9 games out or more by the 31st of July, teams will KNOW that Kenny's hands will be tied

I'm not getting fooled by this first 4-game winning streak either. But, it's also too early to wave the flag. They have to wait to see what happens for the next few weeks, at least.

Sox: at Pit, at Was, vs Atl, vs Cubs, at KC, at Tex, vs LAA, vs KC

Twins: vs Col, at Phi, at Mil, at NYM, vs Det, vs TB, at Tor, at Det

And then they play head to head four games after the break. It's a schedule that could possibly lean toward the Sox favor. So you just have to let it play out for at least 2-3 more weeks.

This hot streak is going to fool a lot of people. My worst fear for this year is that we keep the 2005 core so we can make a futile push for second place in this division. We need to change the culture of this organization, we need to install Flowers as our starting catcher, and be prepared to make changes that will put us in the position to be competitive for years to come.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)
This hot streak is going to fool a lot of people. My worst fear for this year is that we keep the 2005 core so we can make a futile push for second place in this division. We need to change the culture of this organization, we need to install Flowers as our starting catcher, and be prepared to make changes that will put us in the position to be competitive for years to come.

If our victories over bad teams now are more or less irrelevant then so is our terrible record against the Indians.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 01:17 AM)
If our victories over bad teams now are more or less irrelevant then so is our terrible record against the Indians.

It shouldn't come as a suprise that we can beat bad NL teams. There's a pretty profound gap between the AL and the NL: look no further then the Red Sox beating the living hell from the Phillies, or on the opposite end of the spectrum: the Indians destroying the Nationals. The Al is a flat-out better league then the NL, if we couldn't beat a team like the Cubs we might as well go home. The big problem with the getting hot theory is that when we're not facing the NL we're 12-13 against the AL Central and being flat-out dominated by teams like the Indians.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
It shouldn't come as a suprise that we can beat bad NL teams. There's a pretty profound gap between the AL and the NL: look no further then the Red Sox beating the living hell from the Phillies, or on the opposite end of the spectrum: the Indians destroying the Nationals. The Al is a flat-out better league then the NL, if we couldn't beat a team like the Cubs we might as well go home. The big problem with the getting hot theory is that when we're not facing the NL we're 12-13 against the AL Central and being flat-out dominated by teams like the Indians.

I agree mostly about the AL being better, but the Indians are terrible. They are really, really bad and they wouldn't contend in at least two NL divisions. They really suck and we've padded their record.

Look, if the SP comes around, if Beckham comes around, if the Sox grab another bat, and if (praying) Mark Teahen stays hurt all year, we've got a real shot at this thing. And if that's the case, then what we've done early on in the season without a strong starting staff, and without a good Gordon Beckham, and without another bat, and with Mark Teahen, really offers no indication at all that we'll play terrible baseball going forward.

Flowers has 4 HR in the last what, 6 games? He is starting to square up again, and is striking out less to boot. Let him do his thing for a month or so and if we are truly out of it, i'm guessing AJ will waive his right so he can play for a contender. He has said as much, contradicting his earlier comments.

The market for Konerko is pretty dry right now, but it should heat up nearer the deadline, as borderline teams look to add some firepower. He looks really keyed in this season so he will probably still be pretty valuable in July.

There will be demand for our relief corp if things get uglier.

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

+

The voice of reason. I like it. How can anybody argue with this post? This makes the most sense to me.