Beckham needs to be sent down

WhiteSoxfan1986

Never thought I'd say it, but I'd agree.

I've been against this idea all the way, but I'm getting close to the point I don't want to think about Gordon Beckham for a while.

If we had ANYBODY halfway decent I might agree, but I dunno if I want to see Omar out there every day or Nix/Omar at 2B when Teahen comes back.

But I understand where you all are coming from finally. It's simply depressing to watch him bat and make out after out.

And that bunt try was horrid. He had to be on his own there, I'd think. I don't know about the unwritten rules of baseball, but him getting a bunt single might have been a horses*** move there.

I'm not mad at Beckham for that, just sad at his overall horse-s***tiness.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
I've been against this idea all the way, but I'm getting close to the point I don't want to think about Gordon Beckham for a while.

If we had ANYBODY halfway decent I might agree, but I dunno if I want to see Omar out there every day or Nix/Omar at 2B when Teahen comes back.

But I understand where you all are coming from finally. It's simply depressing to watch him bat and make out after out.

And that bunt try was horrid. He had to be on his own there, I'd think. I don't know about the unwritten rules of baseball, but him getting a bunt single might have been a horses*** move there.

Bob Brenley would disagree but I have zero problem with going for the bunt single down by 1 even with the no-hitter on the line, you play to win and when you suck at hitting sometimes you have to switch it up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
Bob Brenley would disagree but I have zero problem with going for the bunt single down by 1 even with the no-hitter on the line, you play to win and when you suck at hitting sometimes you have to switch it up.

Plus, theoretically we're still chasing down the Twins.

I know that every one that could have an influence on this has said that it won't happen, but I STILL think it'd be an improvement defensively and stir the pot offensively if Alexei and Gordon swapped positions. I know it's been discussed here ad nauseum, but I couldn't stand to go through this thread without at least mentioning it.

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 04:00 AM)
I know that every one that could have an influence on this has said that it won't happen, but I STILL think it'd be an improvement defensively and stir the pot offensively if Alexei and Gordon swapped positions. I know it's been discussed here ad nauseum, but I couldn't stand to go through this thread without at least mentioning it.

Beckham has 7 errors at 2b. He'd probably have 12-13 if he played SS.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
Beckham has 7 errors at 2b. He'd probably have 12-13 if he played SS.

Maybe. First, I believe that Beckham has played his entire life, until coming to Chicago, at SS. The comfort level, I think, would be greater at his more natural position. Second, Ramirez has his errors at SS too, though I have not looked them up (lazy) and he was brilliant at 2B. Third, I do think that, particularly in younger players, the level of comfort in the field does show up at the plate. Finally, I do think that it could be useful just to shake things up a bit. It is not going well now, certainly.

Of course, we'll never know.

know that every one that could have an influence on this has said that it won't happen, but I STILL think it'd be an improvement defensively and stir the pot offensively if Alexei and Gordon swapped positions. I know it's been discussed here ad nauseum, but I couldn't stand to go through this thread without at least mentioning it.

I personally always was in favor of his staying at third where he almost earned rookie of the year honors. He was by no means a butcher. He was way better than the sieve Teahen and poor Nix can't play the position either. Like you said, we'll never know if he'd have been more comfortable staying at third and that translated to better play overall, etc. We'll never know.

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 11:00 PM)

How the hell would Gordon playing SS help his offense? And why would you move Alexei from SS, a position that's he's been above average at for the last year+, to 2B? Makes no sense at all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)

I can't believe it, but I agree with this as well. (not to mention agreeing with you Greg :P)

At this point its obvious Beckham is hurting this team more than he is helping. I think the only thing keeping him at the ML level is the fact that his backup, Jason Nix, is basically playing 3B right now as Tehean's has gone to the DL. If Tehean was still at 3B then maybe Beckham is already down and Nix is starting at 2B.

I'd be all for sending Beckham and Quentin down but they can't. Quentin is completely lost and seems to be up there swinging hard at every pitch and hoping he hits it. Beckham at least seems to have some kind of approach at the plate even though he can't hit the ball with any authority. The sad thing is Jayson Nix is worse than both of them and his playing would have to increase if either were sent down. Not really having any other options sucks because like Ozzie says, the big leagues isn't a training ground, you're expected to produce. Heck, if those 2 were even just hvaing bad years, instead of downright dreadful, the Sox could be right in the mix with Minny. Along with many others, I keep thinking they are going to turn it around but after every glimpse of hope they go back into the toilet.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 07:54 PM)
he doesnt have a clue at the plate now. at the very least if we send him down it gets him away from walker

I've been against sending Beckham down, but it's clear that Walker isn't helping him at all. He needs to get his swing back under somebody else.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 03:12 AM)
At this point its obvious Beckham is hurting this team more than he is helping. I think the only thing keeping him at the ML level is the fact that his backup, Jason Nix, is basically playing 3B right now as Tehean's has gone to the DL. If Tehean was still at 3B then maybe Beckham is already down and Nix is starting at 2B.

I think they should try and get Jake Fox who was recently DFA'd

He could cover 3B/LF/C, allowing Nix to move back to second while Gordon is fixing his swing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
I can't believe I'm saying this, but yes, at this point the organization needs to get Gordon back to making solid contact.

Rally Crede -- do you have Joe's phone number? Think he'd sign a small contract?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
I think they should try and get Jake Fox who was recently DFA'd

He could cover 3B/LF/C, allowing Nix to move back to second while Gordon is fixing his swing.

How is a 27 year old utility guy who literally can't field any position, with a career .293 OPB going to be an improvement for this team? You think Teahen is awful in the field? Enjoying watching Jake Fox try to field a ball.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 07:07 AM)
I'd be all for sending Beckham and Quentin down but they can't. Quentin is completely lost and seems to be up there swinging hard at every pitch and hoping he hits it. Beckham at least seems to have some kind of approach at the plate even though he can't hit the ball with any authority. The sad thing is Jayson Nix is worse than both of them and his playing would have to increase if either were sent down. Not really having any other options sucks because like Ozzie says, the big leagues isn't a training ground, you're expected to produce. Heck, if those 2 were even just hvaing bad years, instead of downright dreadful, the Sox could be right in the mix with Minny. Along with many others, I keep thinking they are going to turn it around but after every glimpse of hope they go back into the toilet.

Q is a pop up machine. His new stance and swing suck terribly.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
How is a 27 year old utility guy who literally can't field any position, with a career .293 OPB going to be an improvement for this team? You think Teahen is awful in the field? Enjoying watching Jake Fox try to field a ball.

Well, B'ham or Charlotte could use another power hitter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
He used to be a line drive machine too

IMO, his hands are way too high in his stance. He seems to be dipping his back shoulder to compensate so he can pull his hands through faster and because of that is uppercutting everything. Not sure why he decided to hold them up right above his head, but it's not working.