Beckham needs to be sent down

WhiteSoxfan1986

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, in summary, everything is pretty much staying as is until we approach the deadline.

How does Teahen rank among 3rd basemen? His salary isn't terrible so maybe another team would like him for 2 years.

Anyone think Morel could be a good candidate to come up in 2011 or even in Sep of this year? He is very good defensively but has been struggling with the bat in AAA. He is starting to make contact now. BUt he is not a power hitter or OBP machine. My thinking has him as a dependable 3rd baseman with minor pop and maybe a .250-.260 AVG.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 03:06 AM)
Anyone think Morel could be a good candidate to come up in 2011 or even in Sep of this year? He is very good defensively but has been struggling with the bat in AAA. He is starting to make contact now. BUt he is not a power hitter or OBP machine. My thinking has him as a dependable 3rd baseman with minor pop and maybe a .250-.260 AVG.

There is no reason to rush him..

Why is everyone so down on Teahen? He was heating up before he got hurt, I think he will be fine for us right now..

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
See I thought he was just locking up Teahen in hopes that he'd out-perform his contract by a substantial margin, thereby making him one of our better trading chips. But....he sucks. Do you think Kenny really wanted him here for 3 years?

I bet Ozzie doesn't.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
Simple.

Beckham down for at least 2-3 weeks to try to catch fire at the plate and then come back up.

Vizquel at 2B, Viciedo at 3B.

Right now, we're probably pushing our luck in how hard we're riding Vizquel.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get to Teahen's return and then if GB is terrible, I'd have Teahen take his roster spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
Right now, we're probably pushing our luck in how hard we're riding Vizquel.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get to Teahen's return and then if GB is terrible, I'd have Teahen take his roster spot.

I just don't think there's much else you can do but rotate Viciedo/Vizquel/Teahen for the rest of the season at 2b/3b and hope for the best defensively

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
I just don't think there's much else you can do but rotate Viciedo/Vizquel/Teahen for the rest of the season at 2b/3b and hope for the best defensively

There's more than can be done than that, but it depends on who picks up their game. If Becks and Q could ever find a groove, then things get a lot easier, but until that happens, we're struggling with too many lineup wounds and not enough gauze.

Beckham almost had a little bloop single last night and he drove a ball hard into the gap that got ran down. He very easily could have had 2 hits last night. The way he's playing at 2B, we need to keep him up. If the rest of the lineup keeps getting hot then it's going to just naturally take pressure off him and he'll start to perform. It's just a matter of time with him because he's too talented to keep hitting the way he has been.

As for Viciedo, he needs to be used sparingly just for his bat right now. If he happens to hit his way into a DH role then that's great, then maybe you put him there when you can and work him in on D here and there. But you don't take a guy who isn't going to play premuim defense and insert him in the lineup in a contending season unless his bat has proven it belongs there, and thus far that has not been the case. He's swinging well, but no way do you bench Beckham for him.

Omar looks to be in great shape. We should look to acquire some insurance for him, but even at his age I'm not sure we can beat him down with regular play. The guy is in great shape.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)
Beckham almost had a little bloop single last night and he drove a ball hard into the gap that got ran down. He very easily could have had 2 hits last night. The way he's playing at 2B, we need to keep him up. If the rest of the lineup keeps getting hot then it's going to just naturally take pressure off him and he'll start to perform. It's just a matter of time with him because he's too talented to keep hitting the way he has been.

As for Viciedo, he needs to be used sparingly just for his bat right now. If he happens to hit his way into a DH role then that's great, then maybe you put him there when you can and work him in on D here and there. But you don't take a guy who isn't going to play premuim defense and insert him in the lineup in a contending season unless his bat has proven it belongs there, and thus far that has not been the case. He's swinging well, but no way do you bench Beckham for him.

Omar looks to be in great shape. We should look to acquire some insurance for him, but even at his age I'm not sure we can beat him down with regular play. The guy is in great shape.

I know you've been using that avatar for a while, but i guess i never noticed, um, how ballsy Garcia is.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
There's more than can be done than that, but it depends on who picks up their game. If Becks and Q could ever find a groove, then things get a lot easier, but until that happens, we're struggling with too many lineup wounds and not enough gauze.

Nope.

En el mas de Junio:

AJ: .362/.383/.569/.952

Paulie: .413/.493/.603

Alex: .333/.400/.472

Carlos: .246/.300/.477 - this is the best he's been all year

Omar: .308/.362/.423

Juan: .257/.350/.286 - low average, but the highest OBP all year, and actually a respectable OBP for a lead-off hitter

Alexi: .280/.308/.413

Gordon and Kotsay are the only ones who are having bad months. Everyone else is either good, very good, awesome, or at least the best they've been all year.

*Edit: That said, we still need some help. But we're not as bad as people think. We've gotten better as the weather warmed, just as is always the case.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

That's a list of 7 players, 3 of whom have OPS values above .800.

It's decent, but not great. Then you throw in 2 sub-.600 OPS values into that lineup in Beckham and Jones/Kotsay, and at best it's "average" but it's no where near capable of carrying the pitching staff if they have a bad stretch again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
That's a list of 7 players, 3 of whom have OPS values above .800.

It's decent, but not great. Then you throw in 2 sub-.600 OPS values into that lineup in Beckham and Jones/Kotsay, and at best it's "average" but it's no where near capable of carrying the pitching staff if they have a bad stretch again.

Like I said, we need help. Replace Pierre with someone who is better and add a big bat - whala! Now we're killing people. The SoxTalk Hate Club was making it out like there was no realistic way to fix the offense this year, but that's not the case.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
Like I said, we need help. Replace Pierre with someone who is better and add a big bat - whala! Now we're killing people. The SoxTalk Hate Club was making it out like there was no realistic way to fix the offense this year, but that's not the case.

Juan Pierre isn't getting replaced and we all know it, so let's stop pretending otherwise. I can't even remember the last time he had a day off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
Juan Pierre isn't getting replaced and we all know it, so let's stop pretending otherwise. I can't even remember the last time he had a day off.

Maybe Kenny grows a pair? If Kenny thinks we've got a shot he's going to go for it. Kenny isn't going to let Ozzie cockblock him out of a division title if he feels he's got a chance.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
Maybe Kenny grows a pair? If Kenny thinks we've got a shot he's going to go for it. Kenny isn't going to let Ozzie cockblock him out of a division title if he feels he's got a chance.

Yeah, but the question in terms of going for it is...what does KW have that he's willing to give up?

I still think trading any of Flowers, Viciedo, Morel, or Hudson is basically suicide for next year since by my count we have 10 open roster spots for next year and only about $10 million or so available for free agency. Out of those, I think Morel is the most tradeable...but that means you're comfortable with Teahen at 3b for the remainder of his contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
Turns out he sat against the Cubs last week. Wasn't counting "offdays", was counting the kind of extra off days that Konerko and Rios get.

He wound up playing and breaking up the no hitter.

And I'd figure an actual off day is more relaxing then sitting when the team plays. There's no chance of pinch hitting/running.

I saw Beckham strike out in his last ab last night. He looks like a defeated man. Is he having confidence issues? Sending him down might destroy the little confidence he has left. What happens if he sucks in AAA too? I know I was jokingly calling him Mike Caruso, but wow... this has a chance to be an epic failure if he doesn't start righting the ship. I mean the guy was talked about being traded straight up for Adrian Gonzalez last year... and a lot of Sox fans said no way to that. Now he can't hit over .210?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
I saw Beckham strike out in his last ab last night. He looks like a defeated man. Is he having confidence issues? Sending him down might destroy the little confidence he has left. What happens if he sucks in AAA too? I know I was jokingly calling him Mike Caruso, but wow... this has a chance to be an epic failure if he doesn't start righting the ship. I mean the guy was talked about being traded straight up for Adrian Gonzalez last year... and a lot of Sox fans said no way to that. Now he can't hit over .210?

I don't know if the Sox broadcast showed it, but the Braves broadcast followed him into the dugout, and man he looked despondent. Threw his gum across the dugout, sat down looking pissed, etc.