Heyman: KW wants to fire Ozzie

WhiteSoxfan1986

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...walt.lee/1.html

One person who's familiar with the skirmishes between White Sox general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen said even before their latest blowup, "Kenny would like to fire him if he could.'' Of course, club owner Jerry Reinsdorf is such a loyal leader it would be just about impossible to fire Guillen. According to people in the know, Guillen simply doesn't take direction well -- no surprise there. The latest blowup, as first reported in the Chicago Sun-Times, was over Guillen's dissatisfaction with the $50,000 offer the White Sox made to his son Ozney, whom they drafted in the 22nd round. Like a lot of parents, Ozzie figured his son was a top-10 round talent. Of course, logically, the other 29 teams passed through 21 rounds, so it made no sense to take it out on Williams. Ozzie's other son Ozzie Jr. quit his do-nothing job already (officially, he was a video coordinator, but people around the team say he didn't do very much of anything) under pressure after he tweeted inappropriate opinions about White Sox players. This is getting ugly.

If this is true, it's not surprising at all. And it's sad as well.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ozzie's other son Ozzie Jr. quit his do-nothing job already (officially, he was a video coordinator, but people around the team say he didn't do very much of anything) under pressure after he tweeted inappropriate opinions about White Sox players.

I thought it was Oney Guillen that caused the ruckus with the tweets, not Ozzie Jr.

I have a bad bad bad feeling about this. Kenny Williams is going to walk...

If this is true our GM is virtually powerless and the inmate is running the asylum. That’s a cheerful thought. If anything KW stepping down (or up) and Hahn taking over will just be an extension of this puppet show. I refuse to believe that Jerry is loyal to the point of destruction.

This information has been leaking out for over a month now. Sadly, the organization is totally setting it up for Ozzie to stay and KW to take an executive position within the company. Hahn will likely be the GM, but don't forget that Ozzie and Hahn didn't get along earlier in the year. I believe it was Cowley who said that Ozzie complained to JR about KW after KW mentioned at Soxfest that it was up to Ozzie if Thome would be offered a deal to return.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
I still don't believe there's much substance to any of this.

We'll see.

Seriously? Even with guys like Steve Stone saying their relationship is horrible right now? Just look at the tweets from Ozzie's family, and you can tell there is some bad blood between the families.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
does he want to fire Ozzie for trading for Teahen? For trading for Peavy? For trading for Pierre? Or for choosing not to bring back Thome?

Nah, but I’ve heard rumors about insubordination, poor lineup construction, frequent media tirades, and an embarrassing sense of entitlement that his entire family feels this organization owes them

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
The article doesn't even get Ozzie's sons right, so I am still skeptical.

That said, more and more of this noise has been hitting the wires. Its certainly possible there is fire there.

Ozzie needs to go.

Heyman's just about the best baseball reporter there is.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
?

You havent been around for a while right?

Or maybe its just been me.

Ha, I've been around enough. This organization has been a s***show all season, but it was never worth mentioning it from me until right now. The minor league system is shot (Dan Hudson and maybe Tyler Flowers are the only saving grace at this moment for me personally), the MLB roster has a bit of talent but it's quickly going to the wayside, the manager is not a real good in-game manager, the GM hates the manager, the CEO loves the manager, the manager can't control his kids and his emotions, and all the while they still have to play baseball. I'm not sure that you are going to USCF to watch baseball right now, I'm pretty sure you're going to watch a soap opera.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Seriously? Even with guys like Steve Stone saying their relationship is horrible right now? Just look at the tweets from Ozzie's family, and you can tell there is some bad blood between the families.

Yes, seriously.

Stone hasn't said squat.

The vibe being thrown out there is coming from Cowley... and echoed by sportswriters who know nothing about what's going on and are simply reacting to his stories.

Somewhere Joe Cowley is sitting back and laughing that he can yell 'fire' and watch all the little people run around in panic.

Yawn.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
Yes, seriously.

Stone hasn't said squat.

The vibe being thrown out there is coming from Cowley... and echoed by sportswriters who know nothing about what's going on and are simply reacting to his stories.

Somewhere Joe Cowley is sitting back and laughing that he can yell 'fire' and watch all the little people run around in panic.

Yawn.

Stone was talking about Hahn on Friday and said that he wouldn't be surprised if he took over as GM sooner rather than later. He said that there was definite tension, and that he hoped the current winning ways would help that. You really need to give guys like Heyman and B. Olney more credit.

If Kenny really really wants to get rid of Ozzie but isn't 'allowed' to then Kenny strikes me as the type of personality that would then quit. I'm sure there are other teams out there willing to give him a job. Personally i think Ozzie should shut the hell up over the drafting of his son crap. He's got enough to worry about at the major league level.