2010-2011 NHL thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
Of course you offer Niemi a fair deal. Just saying, what if you offer him a reasonable, 3 yr., 10.5 mil deal, and he says, no, I think I can make more on the open market. He does not have to accept the Hawks' offer. The Flyers say f*** it, we need to finally have a franchise goalie and Niemi is it and offer him like a 5 yr., 25 mil deal, you can take our 1st round pick. Then its not as simple of a decision.

I'm a big fan of Niemi, but it would be simpy bonkers for any team pay him franchise money and give him a long term deal. I guess stranger things have happened, but I think we see him back here 3 years 10-11 mil.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
One rumor making the rounds which does make a good deal of sense is doing a Versteeg, 30th pick, plus a guy like Skille for the 3rd overall pick from Florida, which I would be all for, and thats the type of deal Stan needs to be looking at.

In a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
One rumor making the rounds which does make a good deal of sense is doing a Versteeg, 30th pick, plus a guy like Skille for the 3rd overall pick from Florida, which I would be all for, and thats the type of deal Stan needs to be looking at.

If they can get that deal.. I am quite sure it would happen. I'd be all for it as well.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
I'm a big fan of Niemi, but it would be simpy bonkers for any team pay him franchise money and give him a long term deal. I guess stranger things have happened, but I think we see him back here 3 years 10-11 mil.

Like Cristobal Huet getting a 4-year, 22.4 million contract???

Can someone help me here? I am not bad at math, but my numbers don't match this Web site's: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0910

When I insert the salaries of the players into excel (with Toews bonus included) I get a cap hit of $64.27 (in millions). However, the site is at $57.566.

I used the sites exact salary numbers for next year on my sheet, but we don't match. Anyone wanna check the site for me and see what you come up with? I am just curious about the Hawks' cap situation is all.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
Can someone help me here? I am not bad at math, but my numbers don't match this Web site's: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0910

When I insert the salaries of the players into excel (with Toews bonus included) I get a cap hit of $64.27 (in millions). However, the site is at $57.566.

I used the sites exact salary numbers for next year on my sheet, but we don't match. Anyone wanna check the site for me and see what you come up with? I am just curious about the Hawks' cap situation is all.

You're computing it based on their actual salaries instead of their cap hits. I don't know all of the differences off hand, but one of the major ones is that Hossa's deal is very front-loaded, so his cap hit is $5.233 mil instead of $7.9 mil. Keith appears to be another one that fits that mold, with a $5.51 mil average salary/cap hit as opposed to his actual salary of $8 mil.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)

I don't know if you are counting Cam Barker or not, but we don't pay his salary anymore. Also, do Crawford/Dowell's contracts count in full as they spent very little time in the major leagues? I also think that the "Ext." column might be the actual cap hit Toews, Kane & Keith have. Considering the cap issues, I would believe that the Bowmans worked out Keith's extension to have less than an $8 million cap hit, even if thats his salary.

Anyway, cool wesbite, thanks for sharing.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
You're computing it based on their actual salaries instead of their cap hits. I don't know all of the differences off hand, but one of the major ones is that Hossa's deal is very front-loaded, so his cap hit is $5.233 mil instead of $7.9 mil. Keith appears to be another one that fits that mold, with a $5.51 mil average salary/cap hit as opposed to his actual salary of $8 mil.

Def. it. Thank you! Completely neglected the difference between those two.

This doesn't make me too happy... not that I think the Blues will be great or anything, but that's a solid 'tender entering the division.

Jaroslav Halak to Blues

The Montreal Canadiens dealt the goaltender who led them through their postseason run, as the club has traded Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues.

Details to follow.

Halak, 25, spent the last four seasons with the Canadiens and shared the goaltending duties with Carey Price after being called up from the American Hockey League's Hamilton Bulldogs in February of 2008. He made his NHL debut in place of injured goaltender Cristobal Huet during the 2006-07 season with a 10-6 record, 2.89 goals-against average and .906 save percentage.

This past season, Halak's incredible play between the pipes led the Canadiens on deep run into the playoffs before they were eliminated by the Flyers in the Eastern Conference final.

The native of Slovakia, drafted 271st overall by Montreal in 2003, will become a restricted free agent in July and is eligible for salary arbitration.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
This doesn't make me too happy... not that I think the Blues will be great or anything, but that's a solid 'tender entering the division.

Jaroslav Halak to Blues

I can't believe they are keeping Carey Price over him. Man they just don't want to get rid of Price.

Edmonton is looking to trade their 1st overall pick BTW.

Steve (or anyone else) as a hockey guy if worst comes to absolute worst, would you think of trading the 31 year old Hossa (I think a 5.3 cap hit, though damn good for his caliber) or would you deal the other [younger] guys (Sharp, Byfuglien, Versteeg, Bolland, etc..) before him?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
I can't believe they are keeping Carey Price over him. Man they just don't want to get rid of Price.

Steve (or anyone else) as a hockey guy if worst comes to absolute worst, would you think of trading the 31 year old Hossa (I think a 5.3 cap hit, though damn good for his caliber) or would you deal the other [younger] guys (Sharp, Byfuglien, Versteeg, Bolland, etc..) before him?

I would deal Sharp and Versteeg for the first pick (Even enough?). Save cap room and pick up a stud like Hall or Seguin. I mean they are going to have to trade away some big talent, so why not bring back one as well.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
I would deal Sharp and Versteeg for the first pick (Even enough?). Save cap room and pick up a stud like Hall or Seguin. I mean they are going to have to trade away some big talent, so why not bring back one as well.

That would speed up their rebuilding process as well.

Hall-Toews-Kane..... might be the sickest young top line in the NHL if that ever happens. (not sold on Beach but someone here might know or like him more)

You are not dealing Hossa. He's a great player with a reasonable cap hit.

From Bob Mckenzie

"The amazing thing about the Halak trade is that no contract talks were conducted by MTL or STL with the goalie. Halak has KHL suitors."

"That said, St. Louis could take Halak to arbitration and get a one year award. He is two years away from becoming an UFA."

"Danish prospect Lars Eller, who played in Peoria this season, and Calgary Hitmen forward Ian Schultz go to MTL for Halak. "

I'd like to re-iterate that trading Hossa would be the worst idea this franchise could have behind murdering Toews for insurance money and sending Kane to Mardi Gras in New Orleans with the Stanley Cup and no security.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Hawks signed some Swedish center Niklas Perrson from the KHL. Based on what I read, probably Madden's replacement. Good defensive player. http://www.hockeyforum.com/hockey-trades-r...blackhawks.html

They also signed 24 year old Mathis Olimb (who was on the Swedish olympic team) to a one year deal who was compared to a Swedish Versteeg. (maybe alittle poorer version) Hjalmarsson has some Swedish countrymen on his team (well... more after Johnsson had his cup of tea here) if he re-signs next season.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
They also signed 24 year old Mathis Olimb (who was on the Swedish olympic team) to a one year deal who was compared to a Swedish Versteeg. (maybe alittle poorer version) Hjalmarsson has some Swedish countrymen on his team if he re-signs next season.

Any word on his rapping abilities?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
Another reason why Niemi shouldn't be priority #1 this off-season. With guys like Nabakov, Turco, Marty Biron, Dan Ellis, Theodore, Mason, and Nittymaki, Hawks should be in no rush to give Niemi exactly what he is looking for.

That's hardly a great list of goalies. Marty Turco?

I'd take Nabokov as a starter, but other than that...um.

Also trade Buff, not Sharp. His value's never going to be higher than this, and Sharp's easily the better player.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)

Also trade Buff, not Sharp. His value's never going to be higher than this, and Sharp's easily the better player.

And Nabakov scuffles under the playoff stress. I don't think anyone thinks Buff is better than Sharp, but Sharp has the most value and could definitely net the biggest return. That being said, I would hate to see Sharp go. Great two-way player, great teammate, great goal scorer, clutch and seems like a great person.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)

I agree with that... if they can get a good deal for Buff do it.