2010-2011 NHL thread

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
I feel the same about the fans who do that with the 05' Sox.....

I think its plenty understandable, I get attached to the players on the teams I follow. That being said I completely understand dealing Buff and I think it was the right move but especially after the playoffs he had it is tough to see him go.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
I think its plenty understandable, I get attached to the players on the teams I follow. That being said I completely understand dealing Buff and I think it was the right move but especially after the playoffs he had it is tough to see him go.

Its understandable but when they go on and on about how they can't deal this guy or that guy because they were on a championship team... its ridiculous to me.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
Its understandable but when they go on and on about how they can't deal this guy or that guy because they were on a championship team... its ridiculous to me.

Eh it just happened today, give it a week or so.

I had to correct a bandwagon fan on my Facebook because he was so shocked we would trade Buff. His status was, "getting rid of one of the most influential players...seems like the blackhawks have gone back to the Chicago way. no more cups here."

After I informed him of our cap situation, Buff playing similarly last years playoffs and it not translating to the regular season this year and a number of other factors he says, "I guess, I just think other deals could have been made."

He should stick to watching the Cubs.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
I had to correct a bandwagon fan on my Facebook because he was so shocked we would trade Buff. His status was, "getting rid of one of the most influential players...seems like the blackhawks have gone back to the Chicago way. no more cups here."

After I informed him of our cap situation, Buff playing similarly last years playoffs and it not translating to the regular season this year and a number of other factors he says, "I guess, I just think other deals could have been made."

He should stick to watching the Cubs.

I had to do the same, he told me of all these other players we could trade, all of which are either already free agents, or unmovable players like Huet. You can really tell when someone didn't watch games during the regular season.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 11:36 PM)
I had to do the same, he told me of all these other players we could trade, all of which are either already free agents, or unmovable players like Huet. You can really tell when someone didn't watch games during the regular season.

None of them realize that he was even playing defense before the Vancouver series.

It's also being reported that we get Joey Crabb in the deal. Looks like a solid AHL player.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
f***!!! I LOVED the deal until I heard that. I wanted to see Aliu in a Hawks uni.

The Hawks completely lost all hope in him when they sent him down to the ECHL. Savard said a while back that Aliu has talent, but nothing up there.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
I think 5.

Morin was 4th in goals this year in the OHL and 1st in PP goals. He's supposed to be a sniper.

He was rated the #3 prospect in the Thrashers system and the best prospect not in the NHL. Morin, Leddy, Beach, Bickell could very nicely replace Versteeg, Barker, Byfuglien, and Eager.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
SunGarrioch

The belief is the Hawks are considering an offer a late first rounder and a prospect for Kris Versteeg.

That would be via Vancouver. 25th pick and a mystery prospect for Versteeg. Depending on the prospect, they could do better.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 06:16 PM)
Aliu was in the ECHL at the end of the year. He was done with the Hawks organization and may be done in general. He's a complete head case. I'm not worried.

Good to see nice value for Buff.

Exactly. Ya it sucks to see him go, but you got great value for him. When it was initially announced, I thought we got the 8th pick instead of the 24th and I was ecstatic.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)
f***ing dumbass fans, liking a player on the stanley cup team.

I don't really believe that versteeg trade. Sounds like a garbage rumor.

It's legit. Bowman's has it on the table, probably holding out for more. Or holding out to try and dump 1 more guy and keep Steeger.

So as of right now, the Hawks have the 24th, 30th, 43rd, 54th, and 60th picks in the first 2 rounds.

Reasoner will most likely replace Madden and its very possible that Crabb could replace Eager on the 4th line or possibly even Ladd if he was to be sent off.

Am I wrong to think this is an absolutely awesome trade? I didn't think there was any way in the world Buff, Sopel, and Eager along with what this year at least appeared to be a flamed out prospect could bring this much back. I hate to see Buff go, but I really like the move, and think it's the best they could have done (and more) considering the circumstances.

The next question is how many more guys have to be moved, and what happens with Huet? (I think it's pretty clear Campbell is going nowhere.) Any info on what Bowman said in the conference call?

Edited by whitesoxfan101

With the cap going up 2.6 million to 59.4 as well, it was a pretty fabulous day for Bowman and the Blackhawks. This immensely improves your chances of holding on to Hjalmarsson, Niemi, and Ladd.

I'm fairly certain their next order of business is to dump Huet as fast as possible. Then it comes down to Versteeg and Ladd. Sharp isn't goin anywhere, thats for sure. If they get a offer they really like for Versteeg, they'll jump on it. But don't be surprised if they cut down all this salary and then start spending when Free Agency starts. I don't think it'll be something significant, but I wouldn't rule it out. If they were smart, they use the extra space to re-sign Hammer, Niemi, and then get Seabrook an extension.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 12:47 AM)
With the cap going up 2.6 million to 59.4 as well, it was a pretty fabulous day for Bowman and the Blackhawks. This immensely improves your chances of holding on to Hjalmarsson, Niemi, and Ladd.

I'm fairly certain their next order of business is to dump Huet as fast as possible. Then it comes down to Versteeg and Ladd. Sharp isn't goin anywhere, thats for sure. If they get a offer they really like for Versteeg, they'll jump on it. But don't be surprised if they cut down all this salary and then start spending when Free Agency starts. I don't think it'll be something significant, but I wouldn't rule it out. If they were smart, they use the extra space to re-sign Hammer, Niemi, and then get Seabrook an extension.

Bingo.

The Hawks really do have the talent to be making moves like this. The depth in the organization, while not exactly top heavy, is pretty damn good.

Morin

Leddy

Beach

Bickell

Dowell

Olsen

Skille

Lalonde

Danis-Papin

With 2 1st rounders and 3 2nd rounders upcoming.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
I'll be mildly surprised if the Hawks don't package a few of those picks in the next 24 hours to either move up, or acquire another body.

That'd certainly be nice to see. Maybe try to put together a big package of picks and prospects for a more proven young guy who is on an affordable deal with a high potential.

Colin Fraser dealt to Edmonton for a 6th round pick.

Via Dan Tencer from Edmonton, a reporter. Nothing official yet.

So according to NHL Numbers, the Hawks have 53.382 committed in cap hits for next year, which is 6.018 under the cap.

UFA:

Boynton

Johnsson

Burish

Madden

RFA:

Ladd

Hjalmarsson

Hendry

Niemi

It looks like Versteeg needs to go. That'd clear out another 3.083.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:15 AM)
Good for Fraser. Played hard when he was in the lineup, kept his mouth shut when guys would return from injury, and should get some decent ice time on a terrible Oilers squad. The Hawks may be getting thin up top, but have enough depth to make a move like this.

I still think his best game ever as a Hawk was when he came on to replace Havlat last year in the conference finals. Didn't get on the score sheet (I don't think) but he was all over the ice. He was a well-liked guy in the locker room, but I hope he gets an opportunity to play a lot somewhere.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:19 AM)
It's sort of pointless to get into specifics with numbers, because no one knows EXACTLY what bonuses Kane and Toews both hit this season. They each a few escalators in their contracts, and it's believed they both hit all of them, but no one seems to know the actual amounts, aside from the front office.

We can ballpark figures like NHL numbers is, but just so you know, it's not 100% accurate at this point.

Well we know that Toews' gets a $1.3 million bonus for the Conn Smythe and that it will count against the cap. Not sure about anything else.

What I am sure about is that we need to get rid of Huet's cap hit any way possible.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
Byfuglien & Aliu gone in the same trade? I never realized that the Bowmans were just huge racists.

I LOL'd, but to me it looks like the Thrashers are trying to appeal to their local fan base. Looking at their roster, I don't think many will ever see a high % of African players/prospects on one team like this.

Evander Kane

Dustin Byfuglien

Anthony Stewart

Johnny Odyua

Akim Aliu

Also I find it funny (and also expected) that it was Atlanta whose GM has Chicago ties here. (Dudley) Wouldn't be surprised if Tallon jumped in a trade with us next.

Also to be fair, the players the Hawks picked up (not sure about Crabb) are all "American" LH. :P

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:08 AM)
Colin Fraser dealt to Edmonton for a 6th round pick.

Via Dan Tencer from Edmonton, a reporter. Nothing official yet.

So according to NHL Numbers, the Hawks have 53.382 committed in cap hits for next year, which is 6.018 under the cap.

UFA:

Boynton

Johnsson

Burish

Madden

RFA:

Ladd

Hjalmarsson

Hendry

Niemi

It looks like Versteeg needs to go. That'd clear out another 3.083.

Yeah I think one more guy for sure (probably Steeger) has to go. After that, it's kind of a guessing game in my opinion.

Jeremy Morin profile.

NHL Team: New York Rangers

NHL Player: Patrick Kane

Shootout move: “Backhand Five-hole”

Goal celebration: Patrick Kane’s

Video game: Madden

Movie: Shawshank Redemption

TV Show: Prison Break

Actress: Eva Longoria

Music Artist: Lil’ Wayne

Book: Last Lecture

Home cooked meal: Chicken

Sport (other than hockey): Basketball

Activity away from the rink: Golf

Place to shop: Express

Place to visit: Aruba

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)
Stan also made it clear he would explore the trade and free agent market to acquire some more size in the lineup, which was already needed with Buff in the lineup, let alone without him.

I have a hunch it might come in the form of the 6th D-man, but I could be wrong.

Pronger

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:52 AM)
Yeah I think one more guy for sure (probably Steeger) has to go. After that, it's kind of a guessing game in my opinion.

I'm not a capologist by any means, but here's what I come up with. They are at $53,414,670 with Huets contract. His $5.625 will not be on the books which puts them at $47,789,670 for the players below.

Kane, Patrick

Toews, Jonathan

Hossa, Marian

Sharp, Patrick

Bolland, Dave

Versteeg, Kris

Kopecky, Tomas

Reasoner, Marty

Brouwer, Troy

Campbell, Brian

Keith, Duncan

Seabrook, Brent

$11,610,330 under the cap. They need to sign Niemi and Hammer both with pay increases. Let's say their at 3 and 1.5 respectively. Ladd was at 1.6 lets say they bring him up to 2. If Crawford is the backup, he should stay at 800. That would leave them at $4,310,330 under the cap and they'll need 3 more forwards and 3 more defenseman. Pretty tight. Maybe they can get Ladd at 1.8.

Good resource for cap info. http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=11#

Edited by Controlled Chaos