2010-2011 NHL thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
He'll probably put some pretty big (albeit empty, since the team is a pile of crap) numbers for the Leafs next year.

Definitely one of the coolest uni's in sports though, so he didnt lost that much in terms of jerseys.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
Every guy we traded as a sole player alone was replaceable but as a group I think it is going to be hard to replace that much and expect to be right back where you were.

The key players are all returning.

Every guy we traded as a sole player alone was replaceable but as a group I think it is going to be hard to replace that much and expect to be right back where you were.

I think the team is still built to be good for a long time, and potentially win another Stanley Cup or two. I don't think next year will be a year where they win it all though. There are still a ton of talented guys so they'll be very good again, but I think some of the younger contributors might need a year or so of experience before the team is ready to win it all again.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Reading all of the LeBron stuff reminds me of last July 1, when the Hawks signed Hossa, the biggest FA out there, along with Madden/Kopecky and suddenly became Stanley Cup favorites, and then champions of course. That was fun.

Having Kane, Toews, Sharp, & Hossa up front, with Keith & Seabrook on the blue line makes it much, much easier

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
The key players are all returning.

Was Buf not a key player in the Finals? Did Steeger not give us some huge points last year?

Can they be replaced? ...Yes...but will they all be replaced for next season? I doubt it.

I hope so. Its gonna be another fun year I am sure none the less.

A big part of what made the Hawks so awesome last year was their depth, because it meant they got contributions from all over the place. A lot of the depth is going to be a lot younger and less experienced next year. The big boys are still studs, and the young guys are not short on talent, but I just think it might be another year before the kids are ready to balance out the team to the point where they can win 16 playoff games.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
A big part of what made the Hawks so awesome last year was their depth, because it meant they got contributions from all over the place. A lot of the depth is going to be a lot younger and less experienced next year. The big boys are still studs, and the young guys are not short on talent, but I just think it might be another year before the kids are ready to balance out the team to the point where they can win 16 playoff games.

Exactly, they will compete, but they may not have the horses to go the whole way and beat that many good teams in the playoffs. But they should be a contender for several years while some of the players in the pipe develop into those serious contributors.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
Exactly, they will compete, but they may not have the horses to go the whole way and beat that many good teams in the playoffs. But they should be a contender for several years while some of the players in the pipe develop into those serious contributors.

Yeah, they're not going to have to worry about missing the playoffs or something anytime soon. But the goals are a lot bigger than that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)

If you compare having Niemi in goal to start the year after his playoff performance with having Huet in the goal to start the year last year, does that change the calculation?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)

Rock, you seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Versteeg and Byfuglien are role players, and Eager and Sopel didn't even play the majority of their teams games and weren't necessarily very good when they did. Sopel carries more value only because he's a body who can clear the zone on the penalty kill.

Everyone they have traded is entirely replaceable, and that's pretty much with players we've already named who are within the organization. The biggest issue we're looking at is goaltending, and hopefully Niemi is reasonable and signs for 3.5 million or less.

The Blackhawks, as stands today (+ Niemi) are still EASILY the best team in the NHL next year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
Yuck. Steeger is seriously not that good and he really doesn't have a nose for the net... a fear of the net seems more accurate.

Man.. I dunno dude had alot of potential. Sure he turned the puck over at times, but his hands are incredible. He is actually younger than Stalberg too and not sure I like the reports about Stalberg's hockey I.Q. (and even from Leaf fans but his speed is amazing). Stan is banking on a late blossom for Stalberg, whereas Versteeg is already further along in development. Wasn't worth 3 mil though, so I know he had to go.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
Rock, you seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Versteeg and Byfuglien are role players, and Eager and Sopel didn't even play the majority of their teams games and weren't necessarily very good when they did. Sopel carries more value only because he's a body who can clear the zone on the penalty kill.

Everyone they have traded is entirely replaceable, and that's pretty much with players we've already named who are within the organization. The biggest issue we're looking at is goaltending, and hopefully Niemi is reasonable and signs for 3.5 million or less.

The Blackhawks, as stands today (+ Niemi) are still EASILY the best team in the NHL next year.

First of all I was talking in generalities as a team that has to unload salary and with that contributing role players.

Second, go f*** yourself on talking down to me. The Hawks biggest strength this year was out working other teams because of their serious depth, that was what killed the Sharks and the Flyers. Losing players that contributed to this years team and replacing them with young prospects is going to hurt the depth a bit, and thats a fact. Nobody is whining about losing players at the height of their value so far, but nobody is going to replace them at the moment that we have received in trades. And you only touched on 5 players out of 10 that we will most likely lose. Thats called depth.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
First of all I was talking in generalities as a team that has to unload salary and with that contributing role players.

Second, go f*** yourself on talking down to me. The Hawks biggest strength this year was out working other teams because of their serious depth, that was what killed the Sharks and the Flyers. Losing players that contributed to this years team and replacing them with young prospects is going to hurt the depth a bit, and thats a fact. Nobody is whining about losing players at the height of their value so far, but nobody is going to replace them at the moment that we have received in trades. And you only touched on 5 players out of 10 that we will most likely lose. Thats called depth.

No Rock, go f*** YOURSELF. (seriously, wtf, are you 12 years old?)

When we hear the names Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, etc, that's when you start to worry.

The Hawks more than likely will be bringing Hammer back, and it sounds like Ladd should return as well.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
No Rock, go f*** YOURSELF. (seriously, wtf, are you 12 years old?)

When we hear the names Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, etc, that's when you start to worry.

The Hawks more than likely will be bringing Hammer back, and it sounds like Ladd should return as well.

Clearly 12 years old, and since I am new to this board so maybe I have to be around more to actually gain some respect for my opinion.

And if you were OLDER than 12, you would've read my posts that didnt depict once ounce of worry about the team this upcoming season. Still losing depth is going to hurt this team a bit when it comes playoff time. As of right now, they dont have all holes filled by current players or prospects, and that is something they are going to have to get creative about. I seem to remember you freaking out about possibly losing Barker and Steeger last offseason, most likely because of the depth they gave the team as quality role players.

Also, more props to the Bowmans for dealing the guys out of conference. That way, we MAY only see them once or twice a year. And neither the Leafs nor the Thrashers are anywhere near the Stanley Cup Finals. Soooo...only Fraser can hurt us at this point, which I'm not all that scared of.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
Also, more props to the Bowmans for dealing the guys out of conference. That way, we MAY only see them once or twice a year. And neither the Leafs nor the Thrashers are anywhere near the Stanley Cup Finals. Soooo...only Fraser can hurt us at this point, which I'm not all that scared of.

It's nice to see nobody go to the Wings or something like that. Ladd to the Canucks would have been tough.