2010-2011 NHL thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
Rock, you seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Versteeg and Byfuglien are role players, and Eager and Sopel didn't even play the majority of their teams games and weren't necessarily very good when they did. Sopel carries more value only because he's a body who can clear the zone on the penalty kill.

Everyone they have traded is entirely replaceable, and that's pretty much with players we've already named who are within the organization. The biggest issue we're looking at is goaltending, and hopefully Niemi is reasonable and signs for 3.5 million or less.

The Blackhawks, as stands today (+ Niemi) are still EASILY the best team in the NHL next year.

The Blackhawks weren't "easily" the best team in the NHL this year. In fact, they were 3rd best in the regular season, and three of their four playoff series went 6 games and could have gone the other way had a bounce or two went against them. So I have no idea how they have improved from a Stanley Cup winner right now after cutting ties with several key role players.

In the long run, they may be better off because the kids have the ability to be really good, but you simply can't say they are already. Hockey is like football in that it's the ultimate team game, and depth and the strength of the entire roster is important. The Hawks core is still together so they'll be very good again, but how the role players will fit in and perform is a big question mark right now. And that's the difference between being a playoff team and being a Stanley Cup team.

I might get flamed here but what would people think about bringing in Nabokov and taking the draft pick(s) for someone else signing Niemi.

I believe it was McKenzie on Twitter who said a team who everyone expects to have their goaltender set may be a darkhourse for Nabokov.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
I might get flamed here but what would people think about bringing in Nabokov and taking the draft pick(s) for someone else signing Niemi.

I believe it was McKenzie on Twitter who said a team who everyone expects to have their goaltender set may be a darkhourse for Nabokov.

If someone offers Niemi $5.5 mil & you can sign Nabokov for $3 mil, then yeah it makes sense, especially with the several draft picks. But Nabokov is probably gonna command the same amount of money, is 6-7 years older and has had less succes in the playoffs than Niemi.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
TSN reporting that Andrew Ladd is being traded to Atlanta....not official yet, but getting close.

God Dammit.

Well, he has value and isnt what you'd call irreplaceable, though I thought we were done.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
TSN reporting that Andrew Ladd is being traded to Atlanta....not official yet, but getting close.

Ha.. that one unnamed GM was right about Atlanta being the team.

Canucks signed Jeff Tambellini as well and the Kings (who many say are the Hawks of 07-08) are going hard after Kovalchuk.

Ivan Vishnevskiy

Defenseman - ATL

HEIGHT: 6' 0"

WEIGHT: 193

Shoots: Left

BIRTHDATE: Feb 18, 1988 (AGE 22)

BIRTHPLACE: Barnaul, Russia

DRAFTED: DAL / 2006 NHL Entry Draft

ROUND: 1st (27th overall)

Talent Analysis

A fluid skater, Vishnevskiy has all the offensive tools to become a powerplay quarterback in the NHL. He’s undersized and only average in his own end, two things that will work against him at the professional level. However, he has the vision and skill set that enable him to be a great puck-mover. Reads plays well and has the skating ability to stay in the play defensively, but isn’t consistent enough in that regard. Needs to figure out a way to handle power forwards effectively.

Future

Potential: Second pairing offensive defenseman and power play quarterback, similar to Lubomir Visnovsky.

Edited by EvilJester99

Vishnevskiy has been playing on the Wolves the past few months. He has played in 5 total NHL games, but already has this gem to his credit (from Wikipedia). Oops.

On December 21, 2009 against the San Jose Sharks, Ivan scored into his own net with the goaltender pulled.