2010-2011 NHL thread

Right now it would have to be called a hunch but on Stuy's site he was saying something to the effect the Hawks are checking into it.... not sure how it would fit in with the RFA's still needing to be signed. I would be a big fan if they do get Asham.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Burish too. AS much as these guys can be replaced, I really like alot of these energy guys. One thing not to be overlooked: Buff, Ladd, Steeger, Burish are all very speedy guys. We need to make sure we look for team speed as a priority.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
With the demand Ladd apparently had, and a few D spots open in Chicago, I have a real hard time believing Stan and Co. didn't do their homework and made sure he isn't going anywhere.

His play last season indicates he's not quite NHL ready.

I was ok with moving Buff. I was ok with moving Steeger. But Ladd....that one will sting. I was really hoping he'd stick around. Vishnevskiy's got some potential though. They Ice Hogs will be a fun team to watch.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)
I think the roster is just about set, in terms of new blood coming in.

If the season started next week, I think this is how it would shape up.

Kopecky-Toews-Kane

Brouwer-Sharp-Hossa

Beach-Bolland-Stalberg

Dowell-Reasoner-Skille

Keith-Seabrook

Hjalmarsson-Campbell

Lalonde-Connelly/Scott

Niemi

Crawford

Obviously not ideal, but the top two lines are strong, as well as the top two D pairings. 2010-2011 will be sort of a transition year, with a lot of the kids getting time. The Toews/Kane bonuses are taking up over 4 million dollars of the cap this year, so that number will open up to make a Seabrook extension a little easier.

I see the Hawks falling somewhere in between the 3rd and 5th seed.

David Pagnotta thinks we could still go after a gritty forward and a 3rd pairing d-man. Scott may meet the latter criteria and Asham would fit the former.

In your preview, I'd probably flip Kopy and Brouwer. He played well on the top line in the regular season and Kopecky/Hossa have good chemistry. And I can't see Skille making it over Bickell. And I wouldn't count out Hendry being brought back yet. Danis-Pepin is an option as well.

That 3rd line will be a VERY fun one to watch though.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:49 PM)
Ya, swap out Bickell for Skille. I knew I would forget one of the rookies.

I just don't know if there is enough cash to sign someone for 1.5-1.8 like a guy like Asham is going to command. I have heard Hendry may be back, but I just don't think it's worth going down that route. At 27, I think we have figured out he is a career 6th D-man, so I would rather give some time to some young guys, see what they bring to the table.

Reasoner still may be traded for a pick or prospect, to save some of the 1.1 he will make this season. It's going to be tight.

I don't think they move Reasoner unless they really like Dowell. And I agree with you on Hendry. I'd rather see DP or Connelly or Lalonde paired there. Or just go with the vets in Boynton and Scott.

I'm excited about Stalberg and Vishnevskiy. And Morin, Paradis, Olsen, the Hayes brothers and Leddy give us some nice talent to develop.

Kopecky-Toews-Kane

Brouwer-Sharp-Hossa

Beach-Bolland-Stalberg

Dowell-Reasoner-Skille

Keith-Seabrook

Hjalmarsson-Campbell

Lalonde-Connelly/Scott

Niemi

Crawford

Obviously not ideal, but the top two lines are strong, as well as the top two D pairings. 2010-2011 will be sort of a transition year, with a lot of the kids getting time. The Toews/Kane bonuses are taking up over 4 million dollars of the cap this year, so that number will open up to make a Seabrook extension a little easier.

Well said, I'm with you on just about everything in the above post.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
I was ok with moving Buff. I was ok with moving Steeger. But Ladd....that one will sting. I was really hoping he'd stick around. Vishnevskiy's got some potential though. They Ice Hogs will be a fun team to watch.

Hopefully they will have a goalie with a ton of NHL experience too.

Even when Bowman said the Hawks didn't have to make more trades, I didn't believe him. He only said that to keep his leverage in deals. I was fairly confident Buff, Ladd and Steeger were goners. Oh well, we still are really good, just gonna need young guys to step up and the cheap FAs to produce.

Kopecky-Toews-Kane

Brouwer-Sharp-Hossa

Beach-Bolland-Stalberg

Dowell-Reasoner-Skille

Keith-Seabrook

Hjalmarsson-Campbell

Lalonde-Connelly/Scott

Niemi

Crawford

Thats a very shallow lineup.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
Thats a very shallow lineup.

If Beach can be a solid player as a rookie, you're good 3 lines deep. But yeah, the 4th line is definitely a question mark, as is defense after the big 4. Going to need some kids to play well and develop, and it'd be particularly ideal if the team can stay as healthy as possible, since it's just more kids having to play (some of whom may not be ready) if anybody gets hurt. We should keep in mind though that the same can be said for almost every other team in the league.

There are a few teams in the league (like the Hawks last year in particular) that are just endlessly deep, but I don't think it's realistic to expect a repeat. That is a team that is certainly good enough to be a top 4 or 5 team in the West though IMO, and you could do a lot worse coming off a title, especially considering there seems to be quite a bit of young talent in the organization and the team was obviously in salary cap jail. And who knows, maybe Stan and the crew have a positive surprise or two yet in store before the season starts, although obviously that'd be very tough with the cap.

Edited by whitesoxfan101