2010-2011 NHL thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
If Beach can be a solid player as a rookie, you're good 3 lines deep. But yeah, the 4th line is definitely a question mark, as is defense after the big 4. Going to need some kids to play well and develop, and it'd be particularly ideal if the team can stay as healthy as possible, since it's just more kids having to play (some of whom may not be ready) if anybody gets hurt. We should keep in mind though that the same can be said for almost every other team in the league.

There are a few teams in the league (like the Hawks last year in particular) that are just endlessly deep, but I don't think it's realistic to expect a repeat. That is a team that is certainly good enough to be a top 4 or 5 team in the West though IMO, and you could do a lot worse coming off a title, especially considering there seems to be quite a bit of young talent in the organization and the team was obviously in salary cap jail. And who knows, maybe Stan and the crew have a positive surprise or two yet in store before the season starts, although obviously that'd be very tough with the cap.

I fully expect a repeat!! Well not really, but I don't think it's unrealastic to think they can contend. Plenty have teams have won with less.

Kane, Towes, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabs, Bolland, Hjammer, Campbell, Kopecky, Brouwer. I expect improvement from Kane and Towes...they're still growing. Hossa should score more goals this year as he was off his career norms. Sharp is like the Buehrle of hockey, he'll consistently get you 25-30 goals.

Even Kopecky, who has only played his 3rd full season, can evolve to a 15-20 goal guy. Bolland is good for 15-20. Don't forget how much time he missed this year and how long it took him to get back in the swing when he did get back. He's also young and has played only in enough games to add up to 2 seasons...so he could see a bump in goals. I don't think they lost that much on the D end and they were one of the best last year. 5th in goals against and #1 in shots against. So yeah, I'm optimistic. I know there are definitely more talented teams out there, but I give the Hawks as much of a chance as anyone.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
I fully expect a repeat!! Well not really, but I don't think it's unrealastic to think they can contend. Plenty have teams have won with less.

Kane, Towes, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabs, Bolland, Hjammer, Campbell, Kopecky, Brouwer. I expect improvement from Kane and Towes...they're still growing. Hossa should score more goals this year as he was off his career norms. Sharp is like the Buehrle of hockey, he'll consistently get you 25-30 goals.

Even Kopecky, who has only played his 3rd full season, can evolve to a 15-20 goal guy. Bolland is good for 15-20. Don't forget how much time he missed this year and how long it took him to get back in the swing when he did get back. He's also young and has played only in enough games to add up to 2 seasons...so he could see a bump in goals. I don't think they lost that much on the D end and they were one of the best last year. 5th in goals against and #1 in shots against. So yeah, I'm optimistic. I know there are definitely more talented teams out there, but I give the Hawks as much of a chance as anyone.

I think it'd be a big surprise if the Hawks don't end up somewhere very close to the #4 seed. The key to them having a shot to win it all like that is finding their stride at the right time. For instance, the 2009 Penguins were the #4 in the east and won it all because they found their stride at the right time. With a team like the Hawks that will be playing a lot of kids, the hope is that the kids get better as the year goes on, and are peaking heading into the playoffs. That is certainly possible, but the downside is that when you get into the playoffs, those kids haven't experienced it yet. That didn't really come back to bite the Hawks until the Detroit series in 2009 though (although I think at that point, Detroit was just the better team more than anything).

One last thing is that you bring up an interesting point about even the "veteran" players. Some of those guys are still really young, and with that in mind, it's certainly not out of the realm of realism to think guys like Kane, Toews, Hammer, Bolland, and Brouwer can get even a little better. None of the aformentioned guys are even 25 yet.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Separate point btw, Antti Niemi filed for arbitration.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,253786

Two things that baseball and hockey have in common for me: I like and follow them a lot, and I don't understand fully how their arbitration systems work. Can a wiser man help out and tell me what this means exactly?

Also, Mike Modano sounds like he'd be interested in playing for the Hawks: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-07...rs-organization

"I'd like to see what kind of wiggle room they have left under the salary cap, if they can fill that third- or fourth-line void and see how I would fit in with those guys," said Modano, the all-time leader in goals (557) and assists (802) among U.S. players. "They have a great nucleus of kids. So there is a lot of interest there. Obviously, coming off the type of year they've had there's a lot of excitement for anybody who has Chicago on their list of options."
Edited by whitesoxfan101

Halak signs a new deal with the Blues. 4 years, $15 mil. $3.75M average cap hit. $2.75 M next season, $3.50 M in 11-12, $4.25 M in 12-13 and $4.50 M in 13-14.

Halak did carry a team on his back for two rounds, but Niemi still won the Cup, so I can't see how he doesnt ask for at least $4 million a year. We will see.

The Red Wings are also said to be interested in Modano, and would need him much more than the Hawks do.

Plus, he'd be "going home", so there's that.

Modano would be an interesting idea for a third or fourth-line guy with some PP ability.

He's at the end of the road, but it might be fun to see how much more road he's got.

Of course, you don't pay him much at this point. If anything even slightly resembling a "bidding war" happens, you quickly wave goodbye.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
The Red Wings are also said to be interested in Modano, and would need him much more than the Hawks do.

Plus, he'd be "going home", so there's that.

Modano would be an interesting idea for a third or fourth-line guy with some PP ability.

He's at the end of the road, but it might be fun to see how much more road he's got.

Of course, you don't pay him much at this point. If anything even slightly resembling a "bidding war" happens, you quickly wave goodbye.

Yahoo had an update on this actually, it sounds like it's Red Wings or retirement now for Modano. They were guessing somewhere around 1.3 million for him if he signs. I'd find the link but i'm too lazy.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
Yahoo had an update on this actually, it sounds like it's Red Wings or retirement now for Modano. They were guessing somewhere around 1.3 million for him if he signs. I'd find the link but i'm too lazy.

1.3 mil is a decent gamble for Modano.

I'd be surprised if the Red Wings said no to him if he wants to play.

He seems like just the kind of aging star the Wings seem to milk a year or two out of.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
1.3 mil is a decent gamble for Modano.

I'd rather pay that much for Modano than Marty Reasoner even at age 40. He's way better than Reasoner. Not sure why the Hawks aren't looking into this (trade Reasoner) especially when Modano was attracted to the Hawks young core and high praised us a couple weeks ago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
I don't know what that means.

When attending a hockey game....you never get up during the action. You wait for a stoppage in play, i.e., a whistle. Same goes for when you're returning to your seat. Wait at the top of the stairs for a whistle, then scurry to your seat. It's hockey etiquette 101.

Congratulations, you now know more than about 50% of the Hawk fans that attended the playoffs this year.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
When attending a hockey game....you never get up during the action. You wait for a stoppage in play, i.e., a whistle. Same goes for when you're returning to your seat. Wait at the top of the stairs for a whistle, then scurry to your seat. It's hockey etiquette 101.

Congratulations, you now know more than about 50% of the Hawk fans that attended the playoffs this year.

This.

Its also true in baseball, never get up and move in the middle of an at bat. Of course 85 percent of fans forgot this rule.

There are generally ushers to keep you from returning to your seat during play, but it's on you to stay seated until a whistle.

From TSN's Bob McKenzie

I am not working, but I can tell you TSN's Gord Miller reports San Jose has signed Niklas Hjalmarsson to a four-year, $14M offer sheet. CHI has seven days to match. Back to vacation.

I'd be happy to sign him to that contract, I think he's worth $3.5 mil, especially with how well him & Campbell play together. Suck it San Jose.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
From TSN's Bob McKenzie

I'd be happy to sign him to that contract, I think he's worth $3.5 mil, especially with how well him & Campbell play together. Suck it San Jose.

Jesus.

You have to match that.

If the Hawks declined to match it for some reason, they would get a 1st & a 3rd round pick. They already have 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds in 2011 anyway. Yeah, I see no way they don't sign him, he is only 23 too.

Edited by LittleHurt05