2010-2011 NHL thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
They're not moving Sharp, I absolutely do not buy that. I believe the Niemi era ended today though.

I agree. I keep seeing Rogers mention that for some reason, but knowing what I know about the Bowmans, no way they get rid of Sharp to keep a goalie at a higher price

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rogers being more realistic about next move and Kyle Beach already kicking ass and taking names, albeit one of his new teammates.

ESPNChiHawks sharp, campbell, niemi...exploring all possibilities....niemi most likely if one doesnt return..then Campbell then sharp. blog tonight

oh, and beach knocked this olimb guy out for 4 months.

They fought twice over weekend and beach kind of jumped him 2nd time. Shoulder I think. Foreign media actually reported it

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
Rogers being more realistic about next move and Kyle Beach already kicking ass and taking names, albeit one of his new teammates.

oh, and beach knocked this olimb guy out for 4 months.

They fought twice over weekend and beach kind of jumped him 2nd time. Shoulder I think. Foreign media actually reported it

Man what a head case. I know prospects are trying to prove something, but the guy not only was like 5'9 160, but he's a part of your organization and maybe a future teammate!

They better be offering their first rounders and other picks next year to include with Campbell and he still has to agree to a deal. Thing is, if they could have moved him prior, why didn't they? Might have been able to keep Byfuglien/Versteeg. And yes, I know Soupy is a good player. As far as Niemi, hopefully he loses his arb case, especially because of the defense he played in. It could work however in salary, but they have to trade Reasoner and/or Kopecky and Sharp pretty much has to play center. (though I'm sure Q will have him at LW at times on certian shifts)

Beach (1.171) - Toews (6.3) - Kane (6.3)

Stalberg (.850) - Sharp (3.9) - Hossa (5.275)

Brouwer (1.025) - Bolland (3.375) - Skille (.875-.900)

Bickell (.675) - Dowell (.525) - Kopecky (1.2)

UFA or Rookie (.500)

Keith (5.538) - Seabrook (3.5)

Campbell (7.143) - Hjalmarsson (3.5)

Connelly (.875) - Lalonde (.773) or Hendry (.600-.650)

Scott (.512)

UFA goalie or Niemi (1.5-2.0)

Toivonen (.550)

200-300k in cap room and thats assuming Beach makes it and Q offers to Skille, Hendry, Niemi, Lalonde making it, etc.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Man what a head case. I know prospects are trying to prove something, but the guy not only was like 5'9 160, but he's a part of your organization and maybe a future teammate!

They better be offering their first rounders and other picks next year to include with Campbell and he still has to agree to a deal. Thing is, if they could have moved him prior, why didn't they? Might have been able to keep Byfuglien/Versteeg. And yes, I know Soupy is a good player. As far as Niemi, hopefully he loses his arb case, especially because of the defense he played in. It could work however in salary, but they have to trade Reasoner and/or Kopecky and Sharp pretty much has to play center. (though I'm sure Q will have him at LW at times on certian shifts)

Beach (1.171) - Toews (6.3) - Kane (6.3)

Stalberg (.850) - Sharp (3.9) - Hossa (5.275)

Brouwer (1.025) - Bolland (3.375) - Skille (.875-.900)

Bickell (.675) - Dowell (.525) - Kopecky (1.2)

UFA or Rookie (.500)

Keith (5.538) - Seabrook (3.5)

Campbell (7.143) - Hjalmarsson (3.5)

Connelly (.875) - Lalonde (.773) or Hendry (.600-.650)

Scott (.512)

UFA goalie or Niemi (1.5-2.0)

Toivonen (.550)

200-300k in cap room and thats assuming Beach makes it and Q offers to Skille, Hendry, Niemi, Lalonde making it, etc.

I think Kopecky and Hossa will be on the same line, Kop isnt really a 4th liner with this lineup. Morin may make a push to make the team as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
Here's the video of Beach and Olimb fighting for the 2nd time, looks like Olimb falls wrong on his shoulder.

Beach clearly trying to make a name for himself as the next enforcer for the Hawks.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
Jack Skille signs a one year 600K deal with he Hawks.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2010/...o_one-year.html

Qualifying offer was 900K, 2-way deal. Instead he signed a cap-friendly $600k deal to force himself into the lineup. Smart move.

He'll be an UFA in 2011.

So, does this move clear a bit more cap space?

Interesting news...Maybe the Hawks can get him back.

We heard Billy Sweatt was lightning quick and now he’s gone in a flash. The Colorado College speedster’s career as a Maple Leafs is over before it ever started.

Frustrated by the Leafs inability to sign the former Blackhawks prospect, general manager Brian Burke told Sweatt and his Chicago-based on Friday — nicely we’re sure — to take a hike.

“In light of the signing of Marcel Mueller, we are withdrawing all offers to Bill Sweatt,” Burke said in an e-mail to the Sun on Friday.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/20...6/14742746.html

Edited by maggsmaggs

forbes -

Ilya Kovalchuk will be 44-years-old when his new 17-year deal with the Devils ends following the 2026-2027 season. The Devils are set to announce that they have signed Kovalchuck to a 17-year $102 million deal at 1 p.m. today. The contract is the longest in NHL history.

Hockey's most talented unrestricted free agent remained unsigned for nineteen days before agreeing to a deal with his current team. Briefly last week it appeared Kovalchuk would sign with the Los Angeles Kings, but they later confirmed their offer was not enough to sign the talented left wing. General Manager Dean Lombardi has since reported their offer was for $80 million over 15 years.

Kovalchuk had previously turned down a 12-year $101 million offer from the Atlanta Thrashers earlier this year, after which they traded him to the Devils. Atlanta fans are sure to be frustrated when they find out he signed for only $1 million more (spread out over five more seasons) with New Jersey. However, Kovalchuk's motive is sure to be that he is positioning himself for a chance at the Stanley Cup.

Kovalchuk's new contract includes a no-movement clause (which precludes sending him down or trading him) for the first seven years, after which the Devils will only have a one-year window to move him before his no-trade clause kicks in.

The contract's structure is such that the Devils can still attempt to sign left wing Zach Parise to a contract extension, although they'll have to dump about $2.5 million in salary to get under the 2010-2011 cap.

Multi-year contracts are averaged out for cap purposes, so Kovalchuk's contract will only cost the Devils $6 million per year in cap space. Kovalchuk will receive the bulk of the contract - around $95 million - in the first ten seasons of the contract. The first two seasons will be at $6 million, with five seasons at $11.5 million to follow. From there, the contract decreases to $10.5 million, then $8.5 million, then $6.5 million, before reducing greatly for the final years.

17 years is ridiculous, the length of contracts needs to be addresssed in the next CBA IMO. Although, to be fair, Ilya is signed until he's 44 and Hossa until he's 42, so the Devils aren't the only team taking advantage of the loophole. But even with the Hawks being one of the teams that benefitted from the loophole, I'd still like to see it gone.

Anyways, I'm glad he stayed in the east and with New Jersey though. He takes up a lot of payroll resources, but the Kings are going to be enough of an issue as it is, let alone had they added a much needed offensive stud like Kovalchuk to their squad.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
17 years is ridiculous, the length of contracts needs to be addresssed in the next CBA IMO. Although, to be fair, Ilya is signed until he's 44 and Hossa until he's 42, so the Devils aren't the only team taking advantage of the loophole. But even with the Hawks being one of the teams that benefitted from the loophole, I'd still like to see it gone.

Anyways, I'm glad he stayed in the east and with New Jersey though. He takes up a lot of payroll resources, but the Kings are going to be enough of an issue as it is, let alone had they added a much needed offensive stud like Kovalchuk to their squad.

The funniest part of the loophole is that if you sign a guy at 35 years old, his contract counts vs the cap for the duration, no matter if he gets injured, retires or whatever. But if you sign a 34-year old for 10 years, the contract stops counting as soon as he is done (Pronger got a similar deal at that age).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
They got caught with their pants down with the Hossa deal, they weren't going to let it happen again.

Yeah, although Kovalchuk's contract is much worse. When he turns 38 in year 12 of his contract, he will "make" $750k for one season, then $550k for the next 5 seasons. When Hossa turns 38, he will "make" $1 mil for two seasons, then $750k for the next 2 seasons. I'm not saying Hossa's contract isn't BS at the end, but the Devils definitely stretched the boundaries with the Ilya deal.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
They got caught with their pants down with the Hossa deal, they weren't going to let it happen again.

I think the Hossa deal was right on the line of legal, which is why it was controversial, but ended up being allowed, although I could have understood why it wasn't had it not been. But the Kovalchuk deal crossed that line IMO. A few key differences to keep in mind:

1. The Kovalchuk deal is 5 years longer. Yes, I know Ilya is younger, but a 12 year deal is not unprecedented, even if a bit crazy. 17 years is on a whole new level.

2. Even in the "BS" years of the Hossa deal (the last 4), he makes a million dollars. The Kovalchuk deal has 6 BS years, 5 in which he only makes 550 k, and another in which he only makes 3/4 of a million.

3. In the Hossa deal, he makes 7.9 the first 7 years, drops to 4 the 8th year (which will probably be an overpay for him by then), then you have the 4 years of a millon each. Which that's tricky, his yearly salary never strays THAT far over the cap hit. Kovalchuk is all over the map, and at times his yearly salary is WAY over the cap hit. He has 6 million the first two years, then 11.5 for 5, then a 10.5, then 8.5, 6.5, 3.5, then the sub million half a dozen years I mentioned. To me, those two deals are a lot different. One is tricky (and not all that far off from the Zetterburg and Franzen deals in Detroit, which I'm ok with too even thought the Wings are a rival of course), the other is beyond that IMO.

Edited by whitesoxfan101