2010-2011 NHL thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Yeah go ahead and take away our Stanley Cup victory you morons.

Since Pronger's contract is BS, take away Philly's conference championship too. Heck, just pretend like your highest rated Stanley Cup Finals in over 30 years never happened!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
Since Pronger's contract is BS, take away Philly's conference championship too. Heck, just pretend like your highest rated Stanley Cup Finals in over 30 years never happened!

Looks like the Sharks take the cup!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody here go to last year's "Training Camp Festival" that the Hawks are repeating on 9/18? The Hawks website has the time of the event as 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., but no specific schedule up as yet. Anyone know how they work it, and when they let you in the UC to see practice?

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)
Did anybody here go to last year's "Training Camp Festival" that the Hawks are repeating on 9/18? The Hawks website has the time of the event as 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., but no specific schedule up as yet. Anyone know how they work it, and when they let you in the UC to see practice?

Yes and yes. It was very cool last year, but there isn't supposed to be anywhere near the crowd that there is this year.

The New York Post is reporting that the NHL could void the contract of Roberto Luongo as early as Friday.

The NHL would also not allow the potential contract of Ilya Kovalchuk the report says if the NHLPA is not willing to change some parts of the existing CBA to avoid front-loading long-term contracts. It is reported that the NHL wants to count only the years of a contract before the age of 40 towards the salary cap and negotiations are on-going. Luongo signed a 12-year/$64 million contract extension a year ago and the contract kicks in this season as he still had a year remaining on his old deal. The article also states that the Marian Hossa contract is still being investigated. Should both sides finally come to an agreement, the Kovalchuk, Luongo and all other deals will be grandfathered in. Stay tuned as this story is far from over.

I dare you, NHL. I dare you to shun your largest and most-growing fan base that lead to the highest-rated Stanley Cup Final in decades.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 08:42 AM)
I dare you, NHL. I dare you to shun your largest and most-growing fan base that lead to the highest-rated Stanley Cup Final in decades.

The whole front-loading, retirement problem needs to be solved, regardless of if it has to do with a precious Blackhawks player or not. It's getting ridiculous.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
The whole front-loading, retirement problem needs to be solved, regardless of if it has to do with a precious Blackhawks player or not. It's getting ridiculous.

I agree it needs to be solved going forward. I don't agree with the idea (and I don't think you said you did either) that they should be retroactively canceling deals that were previously approved.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 08:18 AM)
I agree it needs to be solved going forward. I don't agree with the idea (and I don't think you said you did either) that they should be retroactively canceling deals that were previously approved.

No, I don't, and I think they are using it as leverage to get some change accepted. Though I guess at an extreme, they legally could use some verbage in the CBA to retroactively void them. So it's a mess.

Since the CBA isn't up, they are proposing to the NHLPA to have the cap hit for future contracts not count seasons that have the player ending up 40 or older. The hit would be the average of the years prior to that. They are also proposing that the cap hit on 5+ year contracts be the average of the 5 highest paid years.

They'd "grandfather" the current contracts in. The above 2 stipulations seem pretty reasonable.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
No, I don't, and I think they are using it as leverage to get some change accepted. Though I guess at an extreme, they legally could use some verbage in the CBA to retroactively void them. So it's a mess.

Since the CBA isn't up, they are proposing to the NHLPA to have the cap hit for future contracts not count seasons that have the player ending up 40 or older. The hit would be the average of the years prior to that. They are also proposing that the cap hit on 5+ year contracts be the average of the 5 highest paid years.

They'd "grandfather" the current contracts in. The above 2 stipulations seem pretty reasonable.

Not to mention, if the NHL did retroactively void those contracts, they would screw the players because most of the teams are set under the cap at this point. That wouldn't sit well going into CBA negotiations.

Players who did nothing but sign a contract....

Edited by CanOfCorn

From ESPN.com

Source: Ilya Kovalchuk deal to gain OK

ESPN.com news services

The New Jersey Devils' revised 15-year, $100 million offer to star forward Ilya Kovalchuk will be approved by the league as part of a larger agreement between the NHL and the NHL Players' Association, a league source told ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek.

According to the same league source, the league and union have reached a settlement on an amendment to the collective bargaining agreement that will address the issues raised by excessively long-term contracts.

The two sides are trying to "put it to paper" by 5 p.m. ET, the source said.

The league has a 5 p.m. ET Friday deadline to accept or reject the Devils' offer. The original deadline had been set for 5 p.m. ET Wednesday before the league and NHLPA "mutually agreed to extend" the deadline.

The Devils' initial 17-year, $102 million deal, signed July 19, was rejected by the NHL, and after a hearing, an arbitrator sided with the league in an Aug. 9 decision.

The contract was rejected because years of low salary at the end of the contract were added for the sole purpose of lowering the cap hit.

Also, from TSN.com

The agreement means that Kovalchuk's contract with the New Jersey Devils will also get approved as part of a new global settlement. His 15 year, $100 million will be approved once all of the agreements between the league and PA are signed. Deals like those signed by Kovalchuk, Roberto Luongo, Marian Hossa, and Marc Savard will be the last of their kind.

Does that mean Hossa is in the clear? I hope so

Link

The cost of signing Ilya Kovalchuk got even more expensive for the New Jersey Devils.

The NHL fined the Devils $3 million on Monday and took away two high draft picks over the next four years for signing Kovalchuk to a 17-year, $102 million contract in July that circumvented the league's salary cap.

In handing down what might be his harshest penalty for a team salary-cap violation, commissioner Gary Bettman forced New Jersey to forfeit a first-round pick sometime over the next four years and a third-round pick next year.

Devils president and chief executive Lou Lamoriello insisted the team didn't break the rules.

"We were today advised of the ruling by the commissioner with respect to the Kovalchuk matter," Lamoriello said in a statement. "We disagree with the decision. We acted in good faith and did nothing wrong. We will have no further comment."

It was not immediately clear if the Devils can appeal the ruling.

The NHL had the right to discipline the Devils after arbitrator Richard Bloch ruled on Aug. 9 that Kovalchuk's free-agent contract constituted a circumvention of the NHL/NHLPA collective bargaining agreement. The league's biggest problem with the deal was that the 27-year-old Russian star was to be paid only $550,000 in each of the final six years.

The $3 million fine will not count against the Devils' salary cap, a decision the league and the NHL Players' Association reached earlier this month in working out an amendment on long-term contracts.

That amendment paved the way for the league to approve a 15-year, $100 million contract that the Devils and Kovalchuk reworked after Bloch's arbitration ruling.

The NHL said it now considered the matter closed and will have no further comment, including anything on its disciplinary action.

I'm itching for hockey. I might go to the Hurricanes first pre-season game on Tuesday. Tickets on stubhub are only $5. If I get back from work travel on-time on Oct 1st I'm going to try to make the game vs Hawks South (Thrashers), but the games at 1:30pm on a Friday.