2010-2011 NHL thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
He absolutely deserved it, I'd have booed too. I don't blame him for doing what he could to get out of Chicago as the dark ages set in, but to say what he did about Detroit while he was here and then not only agree to a trade there, but play there for such a long time, work in their front office, and say what he did about Chicago after the fact....he's a hypocrite. The fact he had a heritage night is an EPIC joke, and anybody who didn't boo him probably just doesn't know how the situation played out. And while I don't have a problem with those people, Chelios deserved the booing he got.

Or they are capable of understanding that opinions can change over time.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
Chris Chelios was the face of the franchise for a decade, played through every injury, and won two Norris Trophies. He spent his prime on a team that traded off all of his teammates and phenomenal players such as Jeremy Roenick and Ed Belfour to name just a couple. The Blackhawks completely stopped trying in the late 90s and THEY gave up on him predicting he was nearing the end of his rope. Chelios requested a trade to a contender, and the Blackhawks presented him with the option of the Detroit trade, which I'm sure was a difficult choice.

He won Cups in Montreal and Detroit, and the only stop he couldn't was his hometown Chicago because ownership sucked big time and basically gave up for the 2nd half of his tenure with the Hawks.

Yeah, let's boo the guy for being the best defenseman in the NHL for the better part of a decade on our roster and watching management completely destroy the roster around him.

Anyone who booed Chelly last night is an idiot.

Well you couldn't be more wrong. Booing him is completely justified by anyone who chooses to do so, and that includes Friday. He said he'd never play there, he demanded a trade. Over the years, maybe you could get over that. But you can never change this, and that's what ended it for many people:

Chelios.jpg

Who was the genius in the Hawks marketing dept. that scheduled the Heritage night vs. the Red Wings? I'm sure that just enticed fans even more. I personally didn't boo, but the fact is that he played more seasons in Detroit than in Chicago, works for Detroit now, and theres that whole 75th anniversary thing too. I know he's from Chicago, but I can see why fans would boo.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 08:45 AM)
Who was the genius in the Hawks marketing dept. that scheduled the Heritage night vs. the Red Wings? I'm sure that just enticed fans even more. I personally didn't boo, but the fact is that he played more seasons in Detroit than in Chicago, works for Detroit now, and theres that whole 75th anniversary thing too. I know he's from Chicago, but I can see why fans would boo.

The fans rightfully booed management at the time, no sense in taking it out on a soldier like Chelios.

Whatever, it's just mis-placed anger.

Meanwhile, the Blackhawks had another solid victory last night. My mind is completely blown that Corey Crawford is an average NHL goaltender. I never thought I'd see the day.

Hopefully Hossa and Stalberg can get back on Wednesday and maybe Kaner on Sunday.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
The fans rightfully booed management at the time, no sense in taking it out on a soldier like Chelios.

Meanwhile, the Blackhawks had another solid victory last night. My mind is completely blown that Corey Crawford is an average NHL goaltender. I never thought I'd see the day.

Hopefully Hossa and Stalberg can get back on Wednesday and maybe Kaner on Sunday.

Crawford has made some incredible saves, and he lets fewer soft goals in than Turco. I think Crawford could become above average, but he'll never be a Vezina candidate. I know they were paying Khabibulin big money, but they should have let him sink or swim in 07-08 while the rest of the young team was coming up. If Crawford can perform well next year, I'll feel good with him as the goalie going forward, but after Niemi has done poorly for San Jose this season, I'll need to see if Crawford can perform well again before I will be convinced. If the Hawks were playing anywhere near as well as last year on defense, Crawford would be a Calder Trophy candidate.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)

No matter how many times you dismiss fans for being in their right to boo Chelios, you're still wrong.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
No matter how many times you dismiss fans for being in their right to boo Chelios, you're still wrong.

I never said the fans didn't have the right to boo him, they are just classless hacks for doing so.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
Thoughts: Is Chris Osgood a Hall of Famer? Of course, every f***ing person I know in Michigan says he is.

It's funny, my immediate response was "no", but then I went and looked at his numbers and I'd say he's probably in.

400+ wins, 2.49 GAA, 50 shutouts, then you add in the three Stanley Cups and I think he makes it.

But from the "eye test", he always seemed like a really good goalie, but not a Hall of Famer to me.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 06:11 AM)
It's funny, my immediate response was "no", but then I went and looked at his numbers and I'd say he's probably in.

400+ wins, 2.49 GAA, 50 shutouts, then you add in the three Stanley Cups and I think he makes it.

But from the "eye test", he always seemed like a really good goalie, but not a Hall of Famer to me.

I read a good article the other day using Bill James' 15 questions in regard to someone getting into the Hall of Fame.

Osgood never won a Vezina, was a 4-time All Star over an 18 year career, and was never one of the top players on his team, let alone the top players at his position. He's had a hell of a career, but I don't see him making the HoF. He benefited a ton from great teams and great defenses.

Only 3 goalies have made it since 1992, Billy Smith, Grant Fuhr and Patrick Roy. Brodeur and Hasek will undoubtedly be in soon. But guys like CuJo and Osgood....I dunno. I really hate the Stanley Cup argument too. I kinda compare it to the NBA and the NFL. Adam Morrison has 2 rings in the NBA, Karl Malone has none.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
I read a good article the other day using Bill James' 15 questions in regard to someone getting into the Hall of Fame.

Osgood never won a Vezina, was a 4-time All Star over an 18 year career, and was never one of the top players on his team, let alone the top players at his position. He's had a hell of a career, but I don't see him making the HoF. He benefited a ton from great teams and great defenses.

Only 3 goalies have made it since 1992, Billy Smith, Grant Fuhr and Patrick Roy. Brodeur and Hasek will undoubtedly be in soon. But guys like CuJo and Osgood....I dunno. I really hate the Stanley Cup argument too. I kinda compare it to the NBA and the NFL. Adam Morrison has 2 rings in the NBA, Karl Malone has none.

I understand the Morrison/Malone comparison, and I agree for any position other than goaltender.

Goaltenders often are the deciding factor on whether a team wins the Cup or not.

Osgood was the main goalie for two of the three Cup winners he was involved in, so that carries weight in my mind.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
I understand the Morrison/Malone comparison, and I agree for any position other than goaltender.

Goaltenders often are the deciding factor on whether a team wins the Cup or not.

Osgood was the main goalie for two of the three Cup winners he was involved in, so that carries weight in my mind.

Yes, but was he one of the main reasons they won the Cup? Now, I know Osgood has been known as a playoff goalie in recent seasons (mainly because he's sucked int he regular season) but how much has he benefited from great defenses in front of him? I mean, just look at last season: Niemi vs Leighton. I just don't like the Stanley Cups as the main reason why he's a HoF.