2010-2011 NHL thread

I guess I am pretty lonely out here, because I am about 95% no way as well. All of those stats from recent years are great, but they ignore the fact that these aren't the same teams that play each other the last two years. The Hawks don't have the team to beat Vancouver, I really believe that.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
I guess I am pretty lonely out here, because I am about 95% no way as well. All of those stats from recent years are great, but they ignore the fact that these aren't the same teams that play each other the last two years. The Hawks don't have the team to beat Vancouver, I really believe that.

Are they the same teams that played this year? 1 game the Hawks won in a shoot out. 1 game Vancouver won by one goal. 4-3. 1 game Vancouver won 3-0 and 1 game the Hawks won 7-1 and chased Luongo.

95% no way?? Come on Mike...I thought you were a numbers guy...

I do love the optimism and convincing arguments towards the Hawks' chances in this series, but I have to admit I'll be really surprised if they get past Vancouver this year.

Very pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless.

I just don't see it happening this year.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
Are they the same teams that played this year? 1 game the Hawks won in a shoot out. 1 game Vancouver won by one goal. 4-3. 1 game Vancouver won 3-0 and 1 game the Hawks won 7-1 and chased Luongo.

95% no way?? Come on Mike...I thought you were a numbers guy...

I'm just not convinced the Hawks are that good. They sure haven't proven it down the stretch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
I'm just not convinced the Hawks Sox are that good. They sure haven't proven it down the stretch.

Man I really heard that alot around these parts at then end of the 05 Sox season. You've got to believe!!! :)

Seriously though, I'm not sold on the Hawks winning, but I am sold on them having a decent chance. I'd say 60-40 in favor of Vancouver, but that's enough for me to go all in!!! ;)

I will say... this year was quite rough in the Western Conference. In most seasons, 97 points is good for a top 4 finish, and this year just one more win would have netted us home ice advantage.

The Blackhawks aren't your normal 8-seed, and any series can go any way in the West this year.

Compared to last year it was a down year for the conference. Last year everyone in finished with 100+ except one team.

Steve while I certainly agree with you that anything can happen, 97 wouldn't have been a top 4 finish ever in the modern era. 97 points would have had them finish 8th, 6th, 5th, 8th, and 7th in those 5 seasons.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
Compared to last year it was a down year for the conference. Last year everyone in finished with 100+ except one team.

Steve while I certainly agree with you that anything can happen, 97 wouldn't have been a top 4 finish ever in the modern era. 97 points would have had them finish 8th, 6th, 5th, 8th, and 7th in those 5 seasons.

Good points. They would have been 5th in the East last year, but I think my brain is still thinking in terms of pre-lockout point totals where my NHL brain was developed to its fullest. The damn points for OTL's have made the totals add up a lot higher.

Either way, Hawks have a shot (I must tell myself this), and Marty Turco is absolutely awful and nowhere near a great backup. Let's hope we need not see that turd again.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Good points. They would have been 5th in the East last year, but I think my brain is still thinking in terms of pre-lockout point totals where my NHL brain was developed to its fullest. The damn points for OTL's have made the totals add up a lot higher.

Either way, Hawks have a shot (I must tell myself this), and Marty Turco is absolutely awful and nowhere near a great backup. Let's hope we need not see that turd again.

Marty has to be the biggest disappointment on the Hawks this season, outside of Duncan Keith. I really that Turco was a steal of a signing and a great fit for the style of hockey Chicago played, between the shotblocking, and the chances for Marty to handle the puck and start the breakout. What a bust.

Yeah, I hear you, everything is distorted now. All the milestones for points and everything don't mean crap, as there are now 3 point games. You can't compare point totals for the length of a franchise anymore. I don't mind the point for the SOL, because if you lose a skills competition after 65 minutes you should get a point) but they need to make regulation wins worth more than an OT (or at least a shootout) win.

Hawks do have a shot, it's just not the same Nucks/Hawks matchup as the past two seasons. In those matchups we were the favorite or even, in this one we are the clear dog, that's all. Let's just get this started and hopefully win one of the first two in Vancouver and go from there.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
Man I really heard that alot around these parts at then end of the 05 Sox season. You've got to believe!!! :)

The Sox had the best record in the AL, the Hawks have the 8th most points in the West, big difference.

Obviously Vancouver should win this series, I just don't see it being a quick one, this series will go 6 or 7 imo, hopefully the Hawks can pull it out.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
The Sox had the best record in the AL, the Hawks have the 8th most points in the West, big difference.

Obviously Vancouver should win this series, I just don't see it being a quick one, this series will go 6 or 7 imo, hopefully the Hawks can pull it out.

And while they didn't play great baseball for a decent portion of August and September they did win 8 of their last 10 games and had righted the ship going into the playoffs with a dominant pitching staff.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
Yeah, I hear you, everything is distorted now. All the milestones for points and everything don't mean crap, as there are now 3 point games. You can't compare point totals for the length of a franchise anymore. I don't mind the point for the SOL, because if you lose a skills competition after 65 minutes you should get a point) but they need to make regulation wins worth more than an OT (or at least a shootout) win.

Hawks do have a shot, it's just not the same Nucks/Hawks matchup as the past two seasons. In those matchups we were the favorite or even, in this one we are the clear dog, that's all. Let's just get this started and hopefully win one of the first two in Vancouver and go from there.

We split the head to head this season, and its was very close, even in losses the Hawks outplayed and outshot the Nucks. The Hawks offense is just about the same as Vancouver's, its defense that will determine this one. I dont think the Hawks are as bad as their record indicates, and even still, they basically won what, 8 less games? Not too bad considering the injuries and how s***ty their luck was for long stretches.

I generally believe curses are for Cub fans, but the Hawks have the so-called "President's Trophy Curse" on their side in the series. Its been "in effect" the last two years, and aren't things like that supposed to happen in threes?

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
I generally believe curses are for Cub fans, but the Hawks have the so-called "President's Trophy Curse" on their side in the series. Its been "in effect" the last two years, and aren't things like that supposed to happen in threes?

I'd rather call in the Curse of the Daggar, Chelsea, since the Canuckleheads already fear it with the weight of a thousand dragons.

Canucks fans are literally the worst. Last playoffs they referred to the Hawks as thugs who just bullied their way to the Cup, and now they are already b****ing about refereeing that hasnt happened yet. Enjoy your first presidents trophy you expansion team f*** heads.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
Canucks fans are literally the worst. Last playoffs they referred to the Hawks as thugs who just bullied their way to the Cup, and now they are already b****ing about refereeing that hasnt happened yet. Enjoy your first presidents trophy you expansion team f*** heads.

There's already a NHL conspiracy against them because it's in the best interest of the league for a US team to win.

"The business plan of the NHL has always been about gaining revenue from a national USA TV contract. Take that out of the fiscal equation and many USA franchises just don't add up. The NHL cannot exist as it is presently formatted if it becomes a gate driven enterprise! If you accept this premise then consider the 2011 playoffs. The #1 team in the NHL is the Vancouver Canucks. A deep run into the playoffs and heaven bid a CUP win by the Canucks is definitely not a good thing for the league. Let alone the time difference which takes the East coast out of viewership.... IMO the Canucks will have to outplay their competiton by a sizeable margin to gain Stanley. THe hockey establishment will be working against them on and off the ice. Review the '82 and '94 runs to refresh your awareness levels Canuck fans. Roger put the towel on that stick for a reason! Replay the Game 7 at New York in '94 and watch the reffing in that game."

Also, the Hossa goal allowed in the St Louis game is proof the league is behind Chicago. :)

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
There's already a NHL conspiracy against them because it's in the best interest of the league for a US team to win.

"The business plan of the NHL has always been about gaining revenue from a national USA TV contract. Take that out of the fiscal equation and many USA franchises just don't add up. The NHL cannot exist as it is presently formatted if it becomes a gate driven enterprise! If you accept this premise then consider the 2011 playoffs. The #1 team in the NHL is the Vancouver Canucks. A deep run into the playoffs and heaven bid a CUP win by the Canucks is definitely not a good thing for the league. Let alone the time difference which takes the East coast out of viewership.... IMO the Canucks will have to outplay their competiton by a sizeable margin to gain Stanley. THe hockey establishment will be working against them on and off the ice. Review the '82 and '94 runs to refresh your awareness levels Canuck fans. Roger put the towel on that stick for a reason! Replay the Game 7 at New York in '94 and watch the reffing in that game."

Also, the Hossa goal allowed in the St Louis game is proof the league is behind Chicago. :)

I love crazy conspiracies.