2010-2011 NHL thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 12:11 AM)
They waited until 80-something games into the season to start playing like the defending champs.

85 to be exact. Well hopefully we can retain the core if the salary cap numbers posted were accurate. We have got to find a way to keep Crawford around, and then go from there. I don't think the Hawks have to worry as much about upgrades as they have to worry about getting guys healthy and having some of the prospects emerge. They have this great system full of kids from all of those great draft picks and guys they brought in the trades, now it is time for them to pay off. That is how the Hawks can get back on top next year. The window is still wide open for these guys, they just have to climb into it.

The morning after... not nearly as devastated. We got some AMAZING moments in a series that looked to be over a week ago. The Blackhawks fought and didn't go out like b****es and reminded the Canucks that we're still the Champs for another month or so.

I can't be disappointed after being treated to one of the best hockey games I've ever watched. Our table launched at BWW when Tazer tied it up. That is one of the greatest moments I've ever seen in a hockey game, and I've seen a lot... complete jubilation.

The game REALLY reminded me of the Gold Medal Game in the Olympics last year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
An impossibly ridiculous amount of years and money to be dealt. He's a Hawk for the duration of that contract.

That's kind of where I was going there... Unless we get something equally as bad back, I can't see us getting someone to take him.

Anyways, any rumblings on where the cap will be next year? It could kill the Hawks if it contracts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
How many years does Soupy have left? 4?

Thanks for making look that up and feel nauseous all over again.

Player 2010-11 2011-12 2012-13 2013-14 2014-15 2015-16 2016-17

Campbell, Brian $7,142,875 $7,142,875 $7,142,875 $7,142,875 $7,142,875 $7,142,875 UFA

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
The morning after... not nearly as devastated. We got some AMAZING moments in a series that looked to be over a week ago. The Blackhawks fought and didn't go out like b****es and reminded the Canucks that we're still the Champs for another month or so.

I can't be disappointed after being treated to one of the best hockey games I've ever watched. Our table launched at BWW when Tazer tied it up. That is one of the greatest moments I've ever seen in a hockey game, and I've seen a lot... complete jubilation.

Last night I was thinking the exact same thing.

They went out like champions. Short of an incredibly difficult repeat, that's really all you can ask.

-What a game. That's why you can't beat playoff hockey. Crawford was unbelievable, the only reason it went to OT. In the end, I think the Canucks were just the better team. That 3-0 hole was too much, its hard to beat a good team like that 4 straight times.

-It's funny how the perception of a season can change so quickly. A first round loss is always disappointing. But it went from backing in the playoffs and being down 3-0, to waking up and almost pulling off the comeback on the Nucks. The full season feels a bit different than it did last Sunday night.

-The cap situation isn't ideal, but with the MVP bonus gone and I believe a slightly higher cap, they at least will be able to keep Crawford. Hopefully they can keep some of their RFAs and add a little depth too. Either way, with all this talent and a full summer off, no reason why they can't make a deep run in the playoffs next year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
-What a game. That's why you can't beat playoff hockey. Crawford was unbelievable, the only reason it went to OT. In the end, I think the Canucks were just the better team. That 3-0 hole was too much, its hard to beat a good team like that 4 straight times.

-It's funny how the perception of a season can change so quickly. A first round loss is always disappointing. But it went from backing in the playoffs and being down 3-0, to waking up and almost pulling off the comeback on the Nucks. The full season feels a bit different than it did last Sunday night.

-The cap situation isn't ideal, but with the MVP bonus gone and I believe a slightly higher cap, they at least will be able to keep Crawford. Hopefully they can keep some of their RFAs and add a little depth too. Either way, with all this talent and a full summer off, no reason why they can't make a deep run in the playoffs next year.

I think anyway you look at it, a seven game series with the top points team in hockey is an acceptable way for this team to go out. Yeah, you want to win the Cup, but realisitically, did anyone think that this team was capable of that, especially after seeing their 82 game block of work? This version of the Hawks just wasn't nearly as good as the 2010 team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
I think anyway you look at it, a seven game series with the top points team in hockey is an acceptable way for this team to go out. Yeah, you want to win the Cup, but realisitically, did anyone think that this team was capable of that, especially after seeing their 82 game block of work? This version of the Hawks just wasn't nearly as good as the 2010 team.

No, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. Vancouver was the better team but the emotion of this series was just so crazy that losing a game 7 like that was a feeling that I have not had many times as a sports fan.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)

Great post. Losing sucks but it was a great game. Just think if the hawks could have scored on that OT power play.

There was a legitimate chance to win it right there. What electricity there would have been for the next series.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
I would not be surprised to see one of the top 4 guys dealt. that means pretty much either Seabs or Hjal because of contracts.

You have to rid your self of one of those contracts to add a little depth. We have some youngins waiting in the wings to fill in some spots, but we still need some established players for cheaper than Seabrook commands.

Also, Toews named a Selke Finalist. I'm sure this will go to Datsyuk, but good for Captain Serious!

Datsyuk, Kesler, Toews finalists for Selke Trophy

Wednesday, 04.27.2011 / 1:41 PM / News Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - Detroit center Pavel Datsyuk has a shot at winning a fourth straight Frank Selke Trophy, being nominated Wednesday along with Vancouver's Ryan Kesler and Chicago's Jonathan Toews for the award given to the NHL's best defensive forward.

The winner will be announced at the NHL awards banquet June 22 in Las Vegas.

Datsyuk, who has captured the award three straight years, ranked 11th in the league with 71 takeaways despite playing in just 56 games this season. He had a plus-11 rating and led the Red Wings with a 54.6 percent faceoff percentage. He would become the first player to win the Selke for four consecutive seasons since the Canadiens' Bob Gainey won it from 1978-'81.

Kesler helped the Canucks record the lowest team goals-against average in the NHL (2.20) for the first time in franchise history. He had 80 blocked shots and led the Canucks with a 57.4 faceoff percentage. He also had 124 hits, a team-high 65 takeaways and a plus-24 rating.

He finished second in the Selke voting last year and was third in 2009.

Toews led all Chicago forwards with a career-high plus-25 rating. He was second in the NHL with 95 takeaways and won 56.7 of his faceoffs. Toews also delivered 74 hits and blocked 28 shots. The Chicago captain is a first-time Selke finalist.

Members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association submitted ballots for the Selke Trophy at the end of the regular season.