2010-2011 NHL thread

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
don't the Wirtz own the company that distributes liquor to the UC?

Yeah, it's in that linked story. They basically pay rent to themselves and they stock their own bars at the UC through the distributorship.

Nice deal if you can get it, huh?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
Yeah, it's in that linked story. They basically pay rent to themselves and they stock their own bars at the UC through the distributorship.

Nice deal if you can get it, huh?

ah OK, thanks, didn't click the link... yeah, so "Blackhawks lose money" is really just a paper loss because the Wirtz are likely making it back crazily with the increased attendance and the complete playoff run

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
League revenue sharing is a good idea, but not at 50%, that's ridiculous.

It's a good idea if it's equitable, but not if you're excluded from receiving revenue because of your market even when you lose 31 million dollars in one year (or whatever insane number they stated).

Although Dollar Bill probably would have tried even less (if that's possible) if he knew he had revenue sharing cash coming in.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
Niemi's arbitration number came in at $2.75 million. Hawks may have to make a minor move, but I think thats very doable. Sounds like the Finnish Fortress may be around for one more season.

Yeah, yesterday the Score's Hawk guy said up to $2.8 was realistic and even up to 3m was possible.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
Well the Hawks should be able to handle that for Niemi... I like it but I don't think it would have killed the Hawks if they had to walk away from him either.

it's an unpopular opinion, but one I share with you.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
It appears the Hawks have decided to walk away from Niemi... they just "reportedly" signed Marty Turco for 1.75 million per WGN TV Dan Roan

wow i still cant believe how bad this salary cap situation turned out to be. would it be possible to sign niemi then at least trade him for something?

QUOTE (lord chas @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
wow i still cant believe how bad this salary cap situation turned out to be. would it be possible to sign niemi then at least trade him for something?

The bonuses alone are costing us almost 10% of our cap space this year. It is a tough price to pay, but it also means we won the Cup.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
It appears the Hawks have decided to walk away from Niemi... they just "reportedly" signed Marty Turco for 1.75 million per WGN TV Dan Roan

Now they are saying the report is false.. We'll see tomorrow I guess.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)

They can try to trade him before accepting the arb ruling, but not after.

That's what I've been reading, anyway - once they accept the decision they can't trade him for a year.

If they decline the ruling, Niemi walks away as a UFA.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 02:58 AM)
They can try to trade him before accepting the arb ruling, but not after.

That's what I've been reading, anyway - once they accept the decision they can't trade him for a year.

If they decline the ruling, Niemi walks away as a UFA.

Hawks have 3 options here.

Accept the arb ruling and keep him.

Accept the arb ruling and trade him.

Let him walk as a UFA.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 08:42 AM)
Hawks have 3 options here.

Accept the arb ruling and keep him.

Accept the arb ruling and trade him.

Let him walk as a UFA.

Does Nieme stand a chance at getting the $2+ million that the arb ruled elsewhere?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
Does Nieme stand a chance at getting the $2+ million that the arb ruled elsewhere?

He's a free agent at this point. Anything can happen now, but I have to imagine it wouldn't be easy because teams already have their #1 guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
He's a free agent at this point. Anything can happen now, but I have to imagine it wouldn't be easy because teams already have their #1 guys.

I take it that there is now zero circumstance under which he could return to the Hawks?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)

THat's kind of what I was thinking. he really screwed himself by pushing this so far

.913 SV% 2.72 GAA 30 shots per game. - Turco

.912 SV% 2.25 GAA 24 Shots per game. - Niemi

If Turco played with our defense last year, he probably would have better numbers than Niemi.

Its pretty much the same with either. They both aren't great or awful.

Edited by GoSox05