2010-2011 NHL thread

Just got back from the Canes game. Awesome arena, crappy hockey. Going from parking lot to home in less than 5 minutes is awesome though. Thinking about getting a 12 game plan so I can get All Star tickets.

Erik Gudbranson looked really good out there for Florida (1 G, 1 A). Zac Dalpe impressed me from the Canes.

Edited by chimpy2121

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
Devils and Flyers pre-season game on NHL Network right now.

I caught the Leafs-Senators game prior to that one. Even though the Leafs got shutout, Kris Versteeg was literally one of the best players on the ice for both sides. (clearly the best on the Leafs team)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
I've only watched about 5 to 10 minutes of the first two preseason games, but this Byfuglien trade might be one of the best trades in Hawks history. Morin can f***ing play and hes only 19...wow.

Yep, so far so good, but it's VERY early. Trying not to get too excited yet, but he's shown good hands and a solid physical game.

Byfuglien's main contribution, waking up for the postseason, won't help Atlanta if they don't make the playoffs.

Meanwhile, I've seen a couple Leafs preseason games and Versteeg's the same guy he was here - he'll make a real nice play in the offensive zone and then he'll make you crazy with a real dumb play seconds later. If he can somehow eliminate the brain farts he can be an asset for Toronto. Looks like they're toying with the idea of playing him on the top line with Kessel.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
Just got back from the Canes game. Awesome arena, crappy hockey. Going from parking lot to home in less than 5 minutes is awesome though. Thinking about getting a 12 game plan so I can get All Star tickets.

Erik Gudbranson looked really good out there for Florida (1 G, 1 A). Zac Dalpe impressed me from the Canes.

I went to that arena for a game last March when I visited my brother at NC State and was really impressed. I was surprised that I had to walk through a metal detector though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
It is going to be fun to watch this Hawks team with a goalie who can handle the puck. Man what a change back there...

This.

On Saturday night, Turco was responsible for catching the Wings in a line change and started a fastbreak that lead to a Hawks goal. I can't believe some fools whined about losing a one-and-done like Niemi and winding up with an All-Star in Turco.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
This.

On Saturday night, Turco was responsible for catching the Wings in a line change and started a fastbreak that lead to a Hawks goal. I can't believe some fools whined about losing a one-and-done like Niemi and winding up with an All-Star in Turco.

Throw out the GAA and their save% were identical last year. Adjust those numbers for the Hawks defense, and you pretty much are going to have the same sort of numbers in goal. Add to that Marty's ability outside of the net, and it is going to be a fun year.

It's official, Huet to Switzerland.

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Blackhawks have assigned goaltender Cristobal Huet to HC Fribourg-Gotteron SA of the Swiss National League A.

Huet is entering the third year of the $22.5 million, four-year contract he signed in July 2008, and he will make $5.625 million this season. The Hawks, who have had several salary cap casualties since winning the Stanley Cup, still will pay Huet's salary, but it won't count against their cap number.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
I think all of us will say this about Huet. He has been nothing but class through-out all this and to the organization.

Well put. I never thought about that but he definitely was all class when he was benched and kinda treated like a scape goat. Although his $22.5 million contract probably makes it much easier. Good luck to Frenchy.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
The cat they traded Cam Barker for did not make it...that's BS.

It is more bulls*** that Barker wasn't on it (he was traded much earlier) more-so than Johnsson who barely played. Nick Leddy is the only one who is not making that trade look awful thankfully. Feel bad for Cam.

I'm also glad to see the guy who built the team (and should get more recognition) get what he deserves in Dale Tallon.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
It is more bulls*** that Barker wasn't on it (he was traded much earlier) more-so than Johnsson who barely played. Nick Leddy is the only one who is not making that trade look awful thankfully. Feel bad for Cam.

I'm also glad to see the guy who built the team (and should get more recognition) get what he deserves in Dale Tallon.

Cam Barker was traded due to his contract, not his ability to play hockey. He was the first casualty of the great salary cap f***up for which Mr. "Needs more recognition" Tallon is responsible.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
Cam Barker was traded due to his contract, not his ability to play hockey. He was the first casualty of the great salary cap f***up for which Mr. "Needs more recognition" Tallon is responsible.

Yeah, if you want to give credit to someone, give it to Tallon for this offseason of trading off half of the Cup team.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)

I thought the fact hat I couldn't remember his name was indication enough that I was not serious..

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)

That is highly debatable from whom you really ask. And no s*** I already knew that. Hell half the team was traded this summer for the same reason. Thank god we got Nick Boynton when we did (and Byfuglien's versatility to play defense) cause Johnsson didn't do anything for us regardless. It does suck getting dealt when the team that traded you won the cup. What held up to just trade Cam in the summer with the others? Noone saw Campbell going down of course, but I highly doubt the Wild would had turned down the offer if it was made in the summer with Johnsson leaving in FA (who also made more than Cam in salary too at the time of the deal) and it pretty much is Leddy for Barker now.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
but I highly doubt the Wild would had turned down the offer if it was made in the summer with Johnsson leaving in FA (who also made more than Cam in salary too at the time of the deal) and it pretty much is Leddy for Barker now.

The offer was on the table, Barker was making more than his value to the Hawks. Sometimes you take a good offer. No one really knows what happened with Johnsson, but at the time of the trade, he was a better defenseman in my opinion as well.

No bother, Hawks win! And that was one less trade they had to make this offseason!

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Lost in this debate is the fact that the Stanley Cup is the most s***tily engraved trophy in all of sports.

That engraving looks like a left-handed monkey engraved it right-handed. Look at Kris Versteeg's name - damn!

Seriously, its all crooked and s***, and the band is scratched to s***. Couldnt they use a typing-engraver instead of a guy with a heated up hanger?