2010-2011 NHL thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
Has anyone come up with the numbers if Tallon didn't forget to send paperwork out on time and everyone got signed to a tender offer? How much better would the Hawks salary situation be right now?

Well, more likely Steeger and maybe Barker would be here as they were paid more than triple their tender offers. However, they'd also possibly be looking at raises this offseason, so I'm unsure what the lasting effect would have been.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Lost in this debate is the fact that the Stanley Cup is the most s***tily engraved trophy in all of sports.

That engraving looks like a left-handed monkey engraved it right-handed. Look at Kris Versteeg's name - damn!

And how about the fact that there are way more office people on the Cup then actual players. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy for my countryman Pawel Prylinski, that his name is now on the Stanley Cup. But he's a f***ing "massage therapist"?!?!?!

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Lost in this debate is the fact that the Stanley Cup is the most s***tily engraved trophy in all of sports.

That engraving looks like a left-handed monkey engraved it right-handed. Look at Kris Versteeg's name - damn!

I read they misspelled Steegers name. They had it as Vertseeg. Then they fixed it...prolly why it looks a little jacked up.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
I read they misspelled Steegers name. They had it as Vertseeg. Then they fixed it...prolly why it looks a little jacked up.

You are correct; his name was originally misspelled. From the SunTimes blog

The names of the Blackhawks are finally engraved on the Stanley Cup. But it had to be fixed -- Kris Versteeg's name was spelled incorrectly.

The "s" and the "t" in his last name were out of order. So, the Cup originally had "Kris Vertseeg" instead of "Kris Versteeg."

Above is a picture of the misspelling on the Cup. It has been fixed -- and Versteeg, now a Toronto Maple Leaf, is grateful.

"It's kind of funny. I may never be one of the biggest names in the game but now it'll go down in history as one of the misspells on the Stanley Cup so I'll take it," Versteeg told the Toronto Star.

"It's just a perfect example of my life. Just something crazy and quirky that's always happening to me."

If you look closely at more recent pictures you can tell that Versteeg's name was clearly fixed.

Hawks to hand out title rings.

Versteeg and Burish expected to attend.

From the Sun-Times.

A funny reunion

Hawks winger Patrick Kane chuckled when asked about the misspelling of Kris Versteeg's name on the Stanley Cup. Kane said at the outset of camp that Versteeg, now a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs, was a player he would miss this season. Versteeg's name later was corrected on the Cup.

''It serves him right for all the tripping he's done in the past couple years,'' a smiling Kane said. ''It's something we can laugh about for sure [today] when he comes in for the ceremony.''

The ceremony is a private function for the Hawks, where they will receive their Stanley Cup rings. All former players from last year's Cup-winning team were invited. Versteeg and Adam Burish are expected to attend. Versteeg was traded to the Maple Leafs, and Burish signed with the Dallas Stars as a free agent.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Morin sent down to Rockford today. I wonder if Campbell's injury and the need for blue line depth played a part in the decision.

I don't think so since he was a forward. I think 19 year old Nick Leddy has all but made the team in defense, while Soupy is gone. I think they want to see what they have in Stalberg/Skille and then go from there.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 12:20 AM)
A friend of mine from childhood/high school made the Sharks 24-man roster in Europe (they are allowed extra players because of the travel). I feel so old and unaccomplished right now. He is frickin playing with Niemi, Thornton and Heatley. Man, it's crazy.

Wingels eh?