2010-2011 NHL thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at the Hawks last 9 games, it's a pretty tough schedule to say the least.

3 games against Detroit, away games at Boston and Montreal.

Without Sharp, I'd expect them to finish either 7th or 8th (depending on how Dallas does, Calgary are probably done now), which would mean a 1st round series against the Canucks or Red Wings.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:41 AM)
A first-round series against Detroit would be preferable to one against Vancouver.

A first-round series against ANYONE would be okay by me right now. :D

I don't know about that. I'd rather play Vancouver, and make Luongo cry AGAIN! We've eliminated the Canucks the past 2 playoffs, right? Detroit is a bigger rival, but I like how the Hawks seem to have Luongo's number in the playoffs.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:45 AM)
I don't know about that. I'd rather play Vancouver, and make Luongo cry AGAIN! We've eliminated the Canucks the past 2 playoffs, right? Detroit is a bigger rival, but I like how the Hawks seem to have Luongo's number in the playoffs.

Agreed. I just can't see the Hawks beating Detroit. Not that they could beat the Canucks, but it seems they just have their number even from this year with a depleted team. I know we don't have Buff anymore, but Kane has also been a nightmare for 7uongo. I still think we will finish in the 5th-6th range however.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 07:19 AM)
Agreed. I just can't see the Hawks beating Detroit. Not that they could beat the Canucks, but it seems they just have their number even from this year with a depleted team. I know we don't have Buff anymore, but Kane has also been a nightmare for 7uongo. I still think we will finish in the 5th-6th range however.

Anyone can beat anyone in the NHL, and especially in this year's West playoffs. The Blackhawks have to get in (which looks likely given the games in hand advantage they have... 4 seed is still a definite possibility).

However, to think the Blackhawks wouldn't have a huge mental edge over Vancouver would be crazy. I think they'd take that series, but like I said, every series will literally be a toss up.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 04:17 AM)
still in 8th place, Flames have played 3 more, no need to get worried yet

Stars are right there, too, with the same # of games played.

I still think the Hawks get in, but there is reason for concern.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
Stars are right there, too, with the same # of games played.

I still think the Hawks get in, but there is reason for concern.

My drunken self chose to ignore the Stars completely.

It's nice to have less games played than everyone else, as opposed to the 1st half of the season, just gotta win now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 06:29 AM)
I still remember him ambushing a player from behind back in 2004

Donald Brashear, and yeah, when you're the guy who hits someone in the head with your stick for absolutely no reason, the NHL needs to come down hard on you. Bye bye, prick.

Great win for the Hawks. I loved seeing Hossa net the OT winner in front of the Detroit faithful.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 06:29 AM)
I still remember him ambushing a player from behind back in 2004

Donald Brashear, and yeah, when you're the guy who hits someone in the head with your stick for absolutely no reason, the NHL needs to come down hard on you. Bye bye, prick.

Great win for the Hawks. I loved seeing Hossa net the OT winner in front of the Detroit faithful.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)

I thought it was another guy who did that (EDIT: Marty McSorley I just looked up) Bertuzzi was the guy who almost killed Steve Moore. And not to say he should or shouldn't, but that was 7 years ago. He isn't Matt Cooke bad (especially as a repeat offender), though you could say that one incident was worse than all the stuff Cooke has ever done.

FYI, Johnson said in an interview Bertuzzi went to the Hawks locker room, after he was getting worked on and was very apologetic about it.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
Todd Bertuzzi gonna be suspended for the rest of the regular season. That was dirty and he has a track record of being a dirty player.

LeBrun on ESPN is reporting that no league hearing is planned, Bertuzzi won't see any other punishment.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
I thought it was another guy who did that (EDIT: Marty McSorley I just looked up) Bertuzzi was the guy who almost killed Steve Moore. And not to say he should or shouldn't, but that was 7 years ago. He isn't Matt Cooke bad (especially as a repeat offender), though you could say that one incident was worse than all the stuff Cooke has ever done.

FYI, Johnson said in an interview Bertuzzi went to the Hawks locker room, after he was getting worked on and was very apologetic about it.

Ha, damn, I totally mixed those two up. That ended Moore's career.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
LeBrun on ESPN is reporting that no league hearing is planned, Bertuzzi won't see any other punishment.

That's ridiculous. Even if he was apologetic, that was was bad as Matt Cooke's penalty. Bertuzzi went to straight to Ryan Johnson's helmet with his elbow. Very surprised. Would have also been nice to have him off the Wings for the two other Hawks game.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
That's ridiculous. Even if he was apologetic, that was was bad as Matt Cooke's penalty. Bertuzzi went to straight to Ryan Johnson's helmet with his elbow. Very surprised. Would have also been nice to have him off the Wings for the two other Hawks game.

Yeah I was surprised to hear Roenick and the other guy in the post say they didn't think anything else would come of it because his elbow missed him. Who gives a s*** if it was a fluke that he missed. It was deliberate, he left his feet and the intent was there. Why does it take knocking a guy unconscious for there to be discipline? Think they dropped the ball on this. He deserved at the very least a couple games.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
Yeah I was surprised to hear Roenick and the other guy in the post say they didn't think anything else would come of it because his elbow missed him. Who gives a s*** if it was a fluke that he missed. It was deliberate, he left his feet and the intent was there. Why does it take knocking a guy unconscious for there to be discipline? Think they dropped the ball on this. He deserved at the very least a couple games.

Ryan Johnson said he didn't think it was on purpose, and he isn't mad about it. But I don't believe for one second that the fact that Johnson didn't get injured didn't have everything to do w/ the ruling. Had Johnson been injured in miss the rest of the season, then Bertuzzi would be right there along w/ Cooke.