2010-2011 NHL thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 03:48 AM)
Hawks have a lot of work to do in the offseason.

Amen.

Hopefully all the main players will be well rested, because of this early exit and they can add some players.

Canucks got some great goalkeeping tonight. Hawks had more than a chance to win this one.

Oh well. This is the Bulls' turn to reach the Finals.

p.s. Is this current goalie the guy you want for the future?

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
Doesn't help when Kane is missing open nets.

Yea he was really bad tonight. I don't see another Flyers-like comeback in this series. Hawks are done. I hope Bowman gets some grit (with skill) in the summer. I also would like to see Campoli (especially) and Frolik (possibly) back.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
Amen.

Hopefully all the main players will be well rested, because of this early exit and they can add some players.

Canucks got some great goalkeeping tonight. Hawks had more than a chance to win this one.

Oh well. This is the Bulls' turn to reach the Finals.

p.s. Is this current goalie the guy you want for the future?

I hear Cristobal Huet might be available.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)
And no cap room to do it.

According to CapGeek, the Hawks are at about $8 million under the cap for next year with 14 players accounted for. So not a ton of wiggle room to add. Gonna probably have to hope the young guys improve leaps and bounds, and the current guys rebound. So glad they won last year because the window is so so so small in the NHL with such a low salary cap. Amazing how the Red Wings have managed to be a top 4 seed so many damn years.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
According to CapGeek, the Hawks are at about $8 million under the cap for next year with 14 players accounted for. So not a ton of wiggle room to add. Gonna probably have to hope the young guys improve leaps and bounds, and the current guys rebound. So glad they won last year because the window is so so so small in the NHL with such a low salary cap. Amazing how the Red Wings have managed to be a top 4 seed so many damn years.

You've got to be somewhat pleased with the future of the Hawks though. They've got a ton of young talent down in Rockford, and plenty of them got valuable experience this year.

Morin, Kruger, Toews, Kane, Frolik, Stalberg, Bickell, Bolland, Smith, Brouwer, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook all 25 or younger right now. You've got to be pleased with the way Crawford played this year, especially with the swiss-cheese defense we had in front of him.

Then you've got Makarov, Beach, the Hayes brothers, Vishnevskiy and Connolly waiting in the wings. And it seems like the organization is high on Salak, the goalie we got in the Skille deal.

The Hawks should be a perennial playoff team for a long time with the core they have. Consistent production from the top players combined with development from the young guys should be enough for the offense to stay strong. The defense needs some help, no doubt, but I also don't think anyone could have, or should have, expected the regression from Keith and Seabrook this year. And the Campbell injury really got us off on the wrong foot to start the year.

They don't have much wiggle room, as you mentioned, but they should be able to solidify some things here and there. If they could somehow rid themselves of Soupy's contract, they'd be well on their way. But it's damn near impossible to do.

I would like to ask guys like Krush, Tony, Rock, Steve, Slavko, CC, maggsmaggs, Athomeboy, Jester, LittleHurt, DBAH0, chimpy, Murcie, 101, soxfan101 (sorry GoodAsGould, hate the name..), etc. who you would like to see the Hawks do/add in the off-season to help the team, which young guys should stick, etc.. (yes I know series isn't over yet, but I'm not optimistic on their chances comming back 0-3)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 10:57 PM)
I would like to ask guys like Krush, Tony, Rock, Steve, Slavko, CC, maggsmaggs, Athomeboy, Jester, LittleHurt, DBAH0, chimpy, Murcie, 101 (sorry GoodAsGould, hate the name..), etc. who you would like to see the Hawks do/add in the off-season to help the team, which young guys should stick, etc.. (yes I know series isn't over yet, but I'm not optimistic on their chances comming back 0-3)

Well there isn't a ton of wiggle room, even with the Stanley Cup bonuses off the books. Number one, you hope with an actual offseason that these guys can get rested AND not have the Stanley Cup/we're fat and happy hangover next season. Because I think both of those things were an issue all season. With a rested and hungry group next year, I think that should be enough right there to move the Hawks up to the 4 or 5 seed region like they were in two seasons ago with as tight as the west is. Beyond that, you have to hope some of the kids can contribute. It's really the only way to be good every year with the way things are setup right now in the NHL, but I have faith in some of the kids we've seen this year as well as some in Rockford. This team has some depth concerns right now, but still has some star power on it at the top. Therefore, you're going to have a lot of kids fighting for a relatively small number of spots in camp next fall. And that's not even taking into account potential veteran signings. There really isn't much room for new blood at defense if everybody stays healthy and is retained, but this team needs help on the 3rd and 4th lines up front right now, there is no denying that.

Overall, I thought the forwards were actually pretty good most of the year, but had injury/running out of gas issues down the stretch. I was REALLY let down by the play of the defensemen all season to be perfectly honest. However, I feel a Stanley Cup run really affects that group more than anybody with all of the dirty work they must do, and am hoping a full offseason helps that group as well. Beyond that, the Hawks REALLY need to add some grit and toughness. The team never really found replacements for guys like Brent Sopel, who could block shots and penalty kill, and John Madden, who was a great veteran to have at 4th line center. Some of that can be filled with that little cap room the Hawks have, but some must be filled from within as well. I think the Hawks were a bit too heavy on trying to find league minimum vets to fill in those glue guy roles, and not enough attention was paid to young guys up front. It's also important that Corey Crawford continue to develop and move in the right direction. I think overall, he had a wonderful year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
You guys are ridiculous for trying to excuse the actions of Kane and chalking it up to "being young." Kane is the exception, not the rule. The rest of the young NHL isn't drunk and in trouble all the time.

Bet people said the same s*** about Theo Fleury.

Lol, how do you sit down, what with that stick up your ass and all.

Kane had 1 incident in Buffalo, but this kid just can't stay out of trouble! Kaner makes Josh Hamilton and Pacman Jones look likes p*****s. Am I right?

-Hawks lost that game in the 1st period. With 4 power plays and a 5 on 3 for over 70 seconds, they needed to get at least 2 goals to put VAN away early. Ending the 1st only down one kept the Canucks in the game.

-This team is soft and the Canucks know it. On the post-game show, I heard they are averaging 20 more hits per game than in the regular season. Yesterday the Hawks just kept getting knocked off the puck.

-The core guys are definitely worn out and it shows. From the conf. final run, then the Olympics, the Cup run, and all the "playoff" games at the end of this regular season, they are tired and just don't have that extra gear they need. They are trying their ass off but it's not there.

-With all the talent on this roster, the future is still looking very bright. The salary cap should go a bit higher and there won't be a Conn Smythe bonus to pay, so they might be able to add some depth to the roster. And the guys will have a summer to rest.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)

Wow, I thought I had read that the Hawks were going to have the same sort of money problems this year as they did last year. That leaves us room to reup Crawford, and still maybe find some depth.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
You've got to be somewhat pleased with the future of the Hawks though. They've got a ton of young talent down in Rockford, and plenty of them got valuable experience this year.

Morin, Kruger, Toews, Kane, Frolik, Stalberg, Bickell, Bolland, Smith, Brouwer, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook all 25 or younger right now. You've got to be pleased with the way Crawford played this year, especially with the swiss-cheese defense we had in front of him.

Then you've got Makarov, Beach, the Hayes brothers, Vishnevskiy and Connolly waiting in the wings. And it seems like the organization is high on Salak, the goalie we got in the Skille deal.

The Hawks should be a perennial playoff team for a long time with the core they have. Consistent production from the top players combined with development from the young guys should be enough for the offense to stay strong. The defense needs some help, no doubt, but I also don't think anyone could have, or should have, expected the regression from Keith and Seabrook this year. And the Campbell injury really got us off on the wrong foot to start the year.

They don't have much wiggle room, as you mentioned, but they should be able to solidify some things here and there. If they could somehow rid themselves of Soupy's contract, they'd be well on their way. But it's damn near impossible to do.

They needed some of the guys in that group to take steps forward this year, and it didn't really happen, outside of Leddy and Crawford. The good thing is that there really wasn't anyone on the team this year who had a big year and you feel like is due for a regression. They have just got to get guys who jump out and take the reigns. The Hawks have to get the pressure off of the top two lines.

On the blue line, they are deep enough, just the guys getting paid like stars, have to start playing like stars again.

I really hope Kyle Beach finally makes the roster. He has a lot of Andrew Ladd in him. Very skilled, power forward who can play well on any line and bring toughness.

I would love Sopel back, and I think he might come back based on his comments last year when he left.

I also love this Ben Smith guy. Really played well in the playoffs.

Just had a little too much to overcome this year. I'm disappointed, but content with the result. The roster overhaul that was needed, really shook up a team that had gelled so well, yet they still had a solid season. I was pretty optimistic Bolland was going to be back for the start of this series or at least game 2. Then they lose Kopecky. I think this would have been a better series if those guys were in the lineup. Vancouver's defense is playing awesome though and Luongo has stood up to the challenge.

I think the future is definitely bright. This is a young team and the Hawks have been playing playoff like hockey for the last few weeks now. That combined with this first round has given guys like Kruger, Frolik, Stalberg, Smith, Leddy and Crawford some valuable experience. No doubt this was a new level of intensity for them. Even Campoli only had 11 playoff games under his belt. I think the Hawks will resign him as he should stay right around the same price.

Man, every time I look at capgeek, I get agita seeing Campbells contract!! I get the Hawks needed to make a big splash to get some asses in the seats and capitalize on Toews and Kane. The old man just died and they dished out for Huet and Campbell to create a buzz, but uggh every time I see his name with $7,142,875 next to it for the next 5 years I get ill.

In the system I think we'll see solid contributions from Makarov, Morin, Pirri and if he ever stops acting like a 12 yr old punk, Beach.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2357470:date=Apr 18, 2011 -> 12:12 PM:name=EvilJester99)-->
QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
<!--quotec-->The Hawks have a huge need for a big mobile defenseman.... hopefully with a big shot and not afraid to be physical

I have the perfect candidate.

We already have a guy who can't skate in John Scott :lolhitting

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Sounds like no suspension for Torres. Some kind of technicality because it was behind the net, not certain exactly why. Sounds like BS to me.

I know I'm probably in the minority because the hit happened to a Hawk, but looking at this unbiasedly I don't think it warranted a suspension. Interference? It certainly was, as Seabrook never touched the puck. But it was not an elbow at all, he didn't leave his feet, it wasn't from behind/side, and I don't believe he was targeting his head. He never went for the puck, which is troublesome, but if Seabrook did touch the puck it would have been a hard, but legal, hit. There is also more latitude given behind the net on hits than in other areas (NHL words, not mine). Just because a play "looks bad" live doesn't make it a suspension.

Let me add that Seabrook put himself in an awful position on the play and needs to take some responsibility to have his head up/have more awareness, especially behind the net. That contributed to the intensity of the hit.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
I know I'm probably in the minority because the hit happened to a Hawk, but looking at this unbiasedly I don't think it warranted a suspension. Interference? It certainly was, as Seabrook never touched the puck. But it was not an elbow at all, he didn't leave his feet, it wasn't from behind/side, and I don't believe he was targeting his head. He never went for the puck, which is troublesome, but if Seabrook did touch the puck it would have been a hard, but legal, hit. There is also more latitude given behind the net on hits than in other areas (NHL words, not mine). Just because a play "looks bad" live doesn't make it a suspension.

Let me add that Seabrook put himself in an awful position on the play and needs to take some responsibility to have his head up/have more awareness, especially behind the net. That contributed to the intensity of the hit.

I agree with most of this, however, if you don't think Torres came in trying to knock Seabrook's head clean off and into the 8th row, you're kidding yourself. That's where I'd be drawing the line, personally. Malicious intent.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)

I agree with every word. My first Facebook post after the play was "that wasn't an elbow".

I'll add that if someone in a Hawks jersey made that exact same hit on a Sedin, people would have been gushing about it and not one person would have called it a dirty hit. Not one.