Tribune Rios Article

Soxbadger

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1976020.story

Mainly a fluff piece, the most interesting part was.

"His pregame work has been as good as anyone I've ever coached," Sox hitting coach Greg Walker said. "He never misses. The only thing we encouraged him to do was to use the whole field, and he's got the ability to hit all over the park. If he ever gets pull-happy, we say something. But we're just letting him play. This is a very talented player who is happy and has been smiling since the end of spring training."

I think we can now kill the internet myth that Greg Walker teaches "lift and pull".

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)

I think we can now kill the internet myth that Greg Walker teaches "lift and pull".

I do like Rios this year. Hope he can keep it going as somethimes he is the only one

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)

The only thing that killed was any thought that Walker fixed Rios's swing. I'd like to know who moved his hands down, because thats pretty much been the magic bullet.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)

Right, and George Bush told us we were fighting in Iraq to "kill terrorists."

Can't believe everything they tell you.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
You can dislike the guy, but it gets tiring to hear the same unproven stuff over and over again.

I don't care about his philosophy, i care about the results. The facts are that we haven't hit worth a damn since 2006, someone should take the fall for that.

Which is fine. Its just for the last X years, people having been blaming Walker for the White Sox hitting approach, claiming (without proof) that he teaches players to lift and pull.

I dont care about whether hes fired or not, a good case can be made either way. I just think people should know the truth.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
Greg Walker should still be out of a job.

Agreed. Regardless of what he preaches (and I think he's a good hitting coach), the results haven't been there and no matter how good you are, eventually you need results. Since it is easier to switch coaches than players, the coach should have gone a long-time ago.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
Agreed. Regardless of what he preaches (and I think he's a good hitting coach), the results haven't been there and no matter how good you are, eventually you need results. Since it is easier to switch coaches than players, the coach should have gone a long-time ago.

So you're saying they should be more like the Cubs. In the past year, they fired Gerald Perry, then Von Joshua, now have a guru Rudy Jaramillo as the hitting coach and what has changed?

If the White Sox don't change players a new hitting coach is going to hated on this board pretty quickly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 12:51 AM)
So you're saying they should be more like the Cubs. In the past year, they fired Gerald Perry, then Von Joshua, now have a guru Rudy Jaramillo as the hitting coach and what has changed?

If the White Sox don't change players a new hitting coach is going to hated on this board pretty quickly.

I want a new hitting coach to see if we can salvage the career of Quentin, and also prevent Beckham from becoming another Sox bust.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)
I want a new hitting coach to see if we can salvage the career of Quentin, and also prevent Beckham from becoming another Sox bust.

I think you're being a little dramatic. Who was the hitting coach when Quentin had the success everyone now expects him to have yearly? Who was the hitting coach when Beckham had success last year and led many, me included, to believe he would be a White Sox all time great? Unless you can guarantee the offense will be better without Walker, its at best a lateral move. In their last 31 games they are hitting .271 as a team and that is without these 2 doing anything. The Beckham problems surfaced supposedly because he decided on his own to focus on hitting breaking balls better and it has screwed him up with fastballs, and he still is having problems with offspeed stuff.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 01:08 AM)
I think you're being a little dramatic. Who was the hitting coach when Quentin had the success everyone now expects him to have yearly? Who was the hitting coach when Beckham had success last year and led many, me included, to believe he would be a White Sox all time great? Unless you can guarantee the offense will be better without Walker, its at best a lateral move. In their last 31 games they are hitting .271 as a team and that is without these 2 doing anything. The Beckham problems surfaced supposedly because he decided on his own to focus on hitting breaking balls better and it has screwed him up with fastballs, and he still is having problems with offspeed stuff.

Wow, where did you hear that Beckham stuff?

I used to be on the fence with Walker but I don't even see the point anymore. Walker is fine, it's the players. The players just don't listen. If the Sox feel Walker is the best option then fine, keep him. If the Sox feel there is a better option, then fine, fire Walker and bring in someone else. I completely understand why fans would want Walker fired so as to hold someone accountable for the Sox s***ty offense, but I'm not going to root for the guy to get canned when it's pretty obvious the players are the ones at fault. Besides, it looks like Beckham may be coming around, Rios has been amazing, and the only person who can fix Carlos Quentin is Carlos Quentin.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects