Heyman's All-Not-Star Team

LittleHurt05

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...tars/index.html

2B: Beckham, White Sox. Last year's Rookie of the Year candidate would be this year's winner of the less-heralded Sophomore Jinx award. Apparently, pitchers have adjusted to him because he has a .210 batting average, .263 slugging percentage and an absurdly low .552 OPS. It's amazing that Figgins, who signed a $36 million contract with the Mariners in the offseason but has just a .617 OPS, can't crack the starting lineup on this team. Or even Hill (.197 BA). Or how about Lugo, who has a .210 batting average, and a .210 slugging percentage -- yes, that's zero extra-base hits in 105 at-bats.

OF: Juan Pierre, White Sox. Lovely man has hit hard times. And little else. The fact that he has just eight RBIs at this point is hard to believe.

OF: Carlos Quentin, White Sox. The former MVP candidate is hitting .201 with a .681 OPS. At least his temper appears to have improved.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
Quentin's literally been one of the most not-valuable players in baseball this year with a -1.3 WAR.

Q has been so hard to understand and figure out. He would have been the AL MVP if not for that injury in 2008. How many former MVP's or near MVP's have fallen so far and so fast just 2 years after the fact? I can't come up with anyone off the top of my head.

His injury could be to blame for a good deal of it, but how many guys with wrist injuries can still hit the ball out of the park like he does? It is his inability to hit linedrives and he is hitting too many flyballs. 50% flyballs in fact, that number is outrageuously high. It tells you all he is trying to do is hit the ball out of the park and not try to hit screaming linedrives back up the middle. His BABIP is a horrific .197, so it suggests some bad luck, but if you hit the ball in the air 50% of the time, it better find the seats or the wall. Time for Q to take a new approach and go right back up the middle and go from there.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
Q has been so hard to understand and figure out. He would have been the AL MVP if not for that injury in 2008. How many former MVP's or near MVP's have fallen so far and so fast just 2 years after the fact? I can't come up with anyone off the top of my head.

His injury could be to blame for a good deal of it, but how many guys with wrist injuries can still hit the ball out of the park like he does? It is his inability to hit linedrives and he is hitting too many flyballs. 50% flyballs in fact, that number is outrageuously high. It tells you all he is trying to do is hit the ball out of the park and not try to hit screaming linedrives back up the middle. His BABIP is a horrific .197, so it suggests some bad luck, but if you hit the ball in the air 50% of the time, it better find the seats or the wall. Time for Q to take a new approach and go right back up the middle and go from there.

I was going to write the same thing. You did it first and better.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)

He's making contact this year, he's just not hitting the ball far enough.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
I remember Crede being a really good opposite field hitter early on in his career. Then he started pulling just about everything...

He had an astonishing lack of opposite field home runs his last few years with the Sox.