Peavy has fluid in his shoulder

Steve9347

He's going to be pushed back for his next start according to Ozzie via 670 The Score. There is worry that surgery may be an option.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Wednesday that Jake Peavy "has some things with his arm."

In other words, he's hurting, which isn't surprising given the right-hander's uncharacteristically awful start. The White Sox are considering a few options, including moving Peavy's next scheduled outing to either Friday or Saturday. He is 5-5 with a 5.62 ERA through 13 starts this season.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Seriously? What exactly is bothering him?

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Wednesday that Jake Peavy "has some things with his arm."

In other words, he's hurting, which isn't surprising given the right-hander's uncharacteristically awful start. The White Sox are considering a few options, including moving Peavy's next scheduled outing to either Friday or Saturday. He is 5-5 with a 5.62 ERA through 13 starts this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
Hopefully if it's just a few days he's being pushed back for, it's not a big deal. If it is a big deal, it was nice knowing you Kenny Williams.

...and it'll be nice getting to know Dan Hudson.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
Although part of me would feel better to know that there was actually something wrong, and it's not just a case of the sucks.

Be nice if it's just a minor injury that heals quickly. If it's labrum or TJ....then oh crap.

This could be good or could be bad. Part of me would like to know there was a reason for his strugglse, but the other part of me thinks he's been much better than his numbers indicated, was rusty, and is getting better and it would suck that he'd be hurt.

I'm going to say I hope it is nothing. I got a lot of faith in Peavy turning his s*** around, assuming he's healthy.

few things I would listen for in the next few hours/days... "Peavy is coming back to Chicago to be checked out" and not really nailing down a specific day on which his start is being pushed. It's not quite like last year where they had Carassco who could start at a moments notice, I guess they could use Pena in a similar role, but he would probably only be able to go 4 at the most.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
He said that Buehrle might go tomorrow, with Peavy going Friday.

If this turns out to be true than that would quash some of my fears over a major arm injury, even if it's something nagging that might require a skipped start or two, I doubt they would run him out if they actually thought it was TJ or a labrum

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
If this turns out to be true than that would quash some of my fears over a major arm injury, even if it's something nagging that might require a skipped start or two, I doubt they would run him out if they actually thought it was TJ or a labrum

Then again that was coming from Cowley so who knows.

Well news like this was eventually bound to happen after his slow start.

Hopefully it's only something like a dead arm, something that I guess that Buehrle has had to deal with over the years when he's struggled.

Certainly doesn't boost Peavy's trade value (if he actually had any) though.

here's a question I have of those who might know how the day-to-day media works with Ozzie... I assume this came out in the pre-game meeting with Ozzie the press usually has, often these are showed during the game, in Chicago it usually happens in the dugout... so if Ozzie said this during that, was there follow up questions or are these types of things usually just statements from Ozzie? Because it seems odd that, even if 99% of them don't expect a "yes his arm is blown out" answer, don't you have to ask if it's a major injury and then you report NC was given for extent of injury?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Where is this 'possible surgery' coming from? Let's not overreact, he probably wants to play against Strasburg.

Ok in all seriousness if this is something bad he doesn't pitch day after his scheduled start.

with the info we have know, that's where I'm sitting... if my memory serves me correctly didn't they adjust his throwing/off day schedule a few starts ago? Could be a reaction to that.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Ok in all seriousness if this is something bad he doesn't pitch day after his scheduled start.

This is exactly right. We're not talking about him being shut down just yet or even scratching his next start, as of right now he's being pushed back a day or 2. Nothing that I've heard or read so far suggests that his arm is "f***ed".