What about Akinori Iwamura for 3b/ 2b?

beck72

Akinori Iwamura has been designated for assignment by the Pirates. As bad as he's been this year, Iwamura had been solid for the Rays his last 3 yrs, playing both 3b and 2b. http://espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?play...p;type=batting3 . With Teahen out, Iwamura would look a lot better than Nix out there. And if he gets back to his pre-2010 hitting, could give the sox an alternative at leadoff to Pierre. He could play 2b and give Gordon a day off or two as well.

Olney reports that the Pirates will be willing to eat a lot of his salary--[which at $4 + mill. a yr, he's still owed a bit]. http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/statuses/16339749330

Trade them Nix or release him and be done. He's a UTL IFer who can only play 2b and has shown he can't hit major league pitching.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 07:03 AM)
Akinori Iwamura has been designated for assignment by the Pirates. As bad as he's been this year, Iwamura had been solid for the Rays his last 3 yrs, playing both 3b and 2b. http://espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?play...p;type=batting3 . With Teahen out, Iwamura would look a lot better than Nix out there. And if he gets back to his pre-2010 hitting, could give the sox an alternative at leadoff to Pierre. He could play 2b and give Gordon a day off or two as well.

Olney reports that the Pirates will be willing to eat a lot of his salary--[which at $4 + mill. a yr, he's still owed a bit]. http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/statuses/16339749330

Trade them Nix or release him and be done. He's a UTL IFer who can only play 2b and has shown he can't hit major league pitching.

Agreed. Good call! At least you know that you will be getting someone that can not only field the ball, but also not airmail it to the stands after making a play. Not sure if he can figure out the hitting part, but can't get any worse than Nix. I wonder if going from The Rays (Contenders) to Pittsburgh (consistent nobody's the last umpteen years) has screwed up his head? Either way, I'd much rather take chances with him, than Nix. He was definately a tough out, and gave great at bats when he was with Tampa, and as you mentioned, Nix has never proved that he can hit major league pitching consistently. Iwamura has! Kenny, you're in Pittsburgh! Go For It!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 07:29 AM)
I would just worry that the knee surgery has affected his swing somehow and thats why hes been so worthless this season.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe he came back too early from knee surgery.

He was a pest when he was with the Devil Rays.

He's another lefty bat too. Eh.. maybe he can be a reclamation project that will have a rebirth of sorts. He can be like AJ was when he got here.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

I think any replacement for Nix should come from within our own farm system. If we see continued development of someone like Morel than maybe Teahan becomes expendable next season? I wish we had kept Juan Uribe. Anyway that didn't happen and rather than sign someone elses castoffs let us look internally for replacements

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
I think any replacement for Nix should come from within our own farm system. If we see continued development of someone like Morel than maybe Teahan becomes expendable next season? I wish we had kept Juan Uribe. Anyway that didn't happen and rather than sign someone elses castoffs let us look internally for replacements

It was generally thought that CJ Retherford would be that guy after a strong 2009 campaign, but this year he struggled mightily in AAA and has been demoted to AA, so he's not an answer any time this season at least.

Morel should not be rushed, he's still struggling a bit after his promotion, let him develop.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
I would just worry that the knee surgery has affected his swing somehow and thats why hes been so worthless this season.

That would be my concern as well. Yet the sox doctors should be able to determine if he's healthy enough.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)

I was just thinking someone to play everyday until Teahen was ready. The sox don't have someone from within for that UTL spot and to fill in for Teahen. Why bat with a NL lineup everyday Nix is out there? The sox can't afford to be batting 8 guys and putting a liability out there at 3b with Nix. Omar is good for 2 days a week, yet the other 5 are wasted.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
His .192 average makes me cringe. However, I wouldn't mind getting him for cheap, send him down to triple-a for consistent playing time to see if he can fix his swing.

About the only additions the sox could make are with guys who are struggling yet have had a proven track record. Iwamura has a decent track record with a .281 avg and .350+ obp the last 3 years prior to 2010.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
31 years old, slower/weaker due to knee injury, -1.1 WAR, bad fielder at 2b, hasnt played 3b in 2+ years, cant hit NL pitching

where do I sign up?

Nix is the better overall player and thats not saying much...

I'd rather he be able to hit AL pitching.[which Iwamura has shown he's been able to do for 3 yrs]

If healthy, and if he was as cheap as Nix would be if Pitt. kicked in salary, Iwamura would be a better player and a better fit for the sox than Nix.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
Somewhere, Thunderbolt is praying in a corner that this doesnt happen.

I think he's more pissed off this thread was started. I would much rather have the younger Nix and like another poster said.. that ain't saying much at all.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
I think he's more pissed off this thread was started. I would much rather have the younger Nix and like another poster said.. that ain't saying much at all.

Forget the younger Nix, do you want the present day Nix, that's been just as bad in 09 and 08, being trotted out there everyday? Not that Iwamura would be a savior, not at all. But he couldn't be worse than Nix. Even an injured Iwamura seems better than a healthy Nix.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 06:09 AM)
He's another lefty bat too. Eh.. maybe he can be a reclamation project that will have a rebirth of sorts. He can be like AJ was when he got here.

If he can be had for cheap, I wouldn't mind giving this guy a year or two to see if he can get back to his Rays level of play. Iwamura at 3B, Teahen in RF, and Quentin at DH would be a defensive improvement next year.