What about Akinori Iwamura for 3b/ 2b?

beck72

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
If he can be had for cheap, I wouldn't mind giving this guy a year or two to see if he can get back to his Rays level of play. Iwamura at 3B, Teahen in RF, and Quentin at DH would be a defensive improvement next year.

The guy is already 31. You give him another year or two, odds are his skills will be on the decline, if they aren't already.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
The guy is already 31. You give him another year or two, odds are his skills will be on the decline, if they aren't already.

31 is not old for a guy who you may have on your roster for 2-3 years.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
I think he's more pissed off this thread was started. I would much rather have the younger Nix and like another poster said.. that ain't saying much at all.

Nah, I’m kinda blasé about Nix at this point. Snipe away. If we’re can agree to decent financial terms I actually like what Aki could bring to the team.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
I think he's more pissed off this thread was started. I would much rather have the younger Nix and like another poster said.. that ain't saying much at all.

Iwamura is 31 and Nix is 28, its not like Iwamura is in his late 30s and is in the twilight of his career. We have seen what Iwamura is capable of, and while he is having a bad year in Pittsburgh, he is also coming off of a season ending knee injury and he may not be quite right as of yet.

Replacing the 25th guy on the bench shouldnt be such a big deal, but if I were to pick Nix or Iwamura it would be Iwamura in a second. Nix has yet to show me anything when he has been given a shot.

I think Iwamura and Nix both suck. People get mad at KW for getting ex Royals, now some guy the Pirates will pay off to play somewhere else becomes wanted. If either gets extended playing time, it means the team is terrible. Who cares about them?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
I think Iwamura and Nix both suck. People get mad at KW for getting ex Royals, now some guy the Pirates will pay off to play somewhere else becomes wanted. If either gets extended playing time, it means the team is terrible. Who cares about them?

This team is already terrible. The starting lineup will have three holes to fill next year, and the funds will not exist to fill all of them with above-average talent. Couple that with Teahen's bad defense at 3B and there's an opportunity to make an improvement. If Iwamura can be had for next to nothing, I don't see the harm in giving him a shot. If he doesn't work out, you can always DFA him or use him as a utility infielder (and DFA Nix). At the very least, he's capable of playing competent defense on the left side of the infield, which Nix apparently cannot do.