Crazy Like Fox

Marty34

I don't know. I'm as excited as the next guy about the run as of late, but we are playing some bad NL teams. I hope that the winning ways will be contagious and carry on into the following weeks. However, I do not see an acqusition of a big bat anytime soon, and when Teahen comes back, he'll be patrolling the left side of the infield.

Hawk basically admitted it last night, the injury to Teahen was a blessing. I wasn't big on Omar Vizquel, but if his playing 3B has this effect on the pitching, you had to figure it would have some effect but not this large, then play him as much as a 43 year old can play.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 08:45 AM)
Someone posted last night, the SP has like a 2.00 ERA over the last 10 starts or something. That's the reason they're winning, and it has nothing to do with anything else.

There has been some timely hitting, and Jenks has been sharp...but yes, the main reason the Sox are winning is the SP.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 08:45 AM)
Someone posted last night, the SP has like a 2.00 ERA over the last 10 starts or something. That's the reason they're winning, and it has nothing to do with anything else.

And our hitting and bullpen is still mediocre. So there's no reason to think that once we start playing good teams again that we'll keep playing over .500 ball.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
And our hitting and bullpen is still mediocre. So there's no reason to think that once we start playing good teams again that we'll keep playing over .500 ball.

I think the bullpen is better than mediocre.

here is a genius idea for Bud Selig and other baseball people.

Since we have the designated hitter, why don't we add the designated fielder as well, where a guy only plays defense and does not take swings.

If we can combine Teahen's bat with Vizquel's defense, third base should not be much to concern with.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)

The hitting has been much better than it was earlier in the year, and combined with the pitching the results have also been much better. The Sox played the Tigers pretty tough, and that is encouraging because the Tigers have been pretty good this year so far

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)
It's amazing how Ozzie becomes a genius the minute we start beating teams, we should be beating.

who declared Ozzie a genius?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 07:28 AM)
Sox should've swept the Tigers last week, are they a bad team?

No they are not but I don't see how you say the Sox should have swept them. They lost a game by 5 runs. Just because they were winning for 6 innings doesn't mean they should have won.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
here is a genius idea for Bud Selig and other baseball people.

Since we have the designated hitter, why don't we add the designated fielder as well, where a guy only plays defense and does not take swings.

If we can combine Teahen's bat with Vizquel's defense, third base should not be much to concern with.

The DH can sub out for any fielder, not necessarily the pitcher IIRC.

Edited to note that I am dead wrong. That's the case in Amateur Leagues, but not pro ball. Sorry!

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
No they are not but I don't see how you say the Sox should have swept them. They lost a game by 5 runs. Just because they were winning for 6 innings doesn't mean they should have won.

I think they should have. When the Sox have any type of lead and Thorton and Jenks available I think they should win.

Trade for a bat and keep Teahen as far away from third as possible and we have a shot.

Seriously, the return of Teahen is going to be such buzzkill.

If we are still playing decent, I'd wish somehow we could say, "who cares what we are paying him? He has to sit!"

Playing guys just because they make money (Liney) is so dumb.

What good is that if the highly paid player costs you games? He can sit and still earn the cash by not hurting the team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Seriously, the return of Teahen is going to be such buzzkill.

If we are still playing decent, I'd wish somehow we could say, "who cares what we are paying him? He has to sit!"

Playing guys just because they make money (Liney) is so dumb.

What good is that if the highly paid player costs you games? He can sit and still earn the cash by not hurting the team.

If thats a buzzkill, what do you consider 2 more years of him?

Two more years of him is so depressing I don't know what to say.

I'd send him to Florida and have him take ground balls of all kinds the rest of the year and pay some kid to stand at first base and catch his throws.

Anything but reappearing in the dugout.

My stance changes if Oz turns him into Nix. Play him once a week. That'd be OK.