Sox at Washington 6-19 game thread 3:10 pm first pitch

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 07:49 AM)
The Nats pitcher is RH so Vizquel should be playing 3rd but since he's ancient maybe he needs a rest. Dayan at DH ? Probably not, Kotsay will be Dh ing so looks like if the Tank plays it'll be at 3rd.

We're in the NL :lolhitting

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
Maybe we see Dayan today .

Viciedo gets 1st start Saturday at 3rd

Sox want to see what he can do right away

WASHINGTON — Dayan Viciedo will make his first major league start Saturday at third base, a position the White Sox moved him from this winter.

"It's no problem," Viciedo said of moving from first base. "I've been practicing on both sides, so it shouldn't be a problem."

Viciedo, 21, played in 51 games at first and 10 at third for Triple-A Charlotte. He arrived Friday in the best shape he has been in since the Sox signed him to a four-year, $10 million contract in December 2008.

"I feel everything is coming together," said Viciedo, who was batting .290 with 14 home runs and 34 RBIs in 62 games at Charlotte. "I'm really feeling as good as ever."

Manager Ozzie Guillen wants to "mix it up" at third with Viciedo and Omar Vizquel, whom Guillen admits is playing well in place of injured Mark Teahen. But the Sox don't want to stunt Viciedo's development.

"I trust (general manager Ken Williams)," Guillen said. "I trust (farm director) Buddy Bell. I've trusted those guys for seven years. I don't think Kenny is going to bring up somebody who can't help us. If he brings him up here, I play him."

Flowers blossoming: Charlotte catcher Tyler Flowers is capable of being an every-day major league catcher, according to minor league catching instructor John Orton.

"He has good hands, he blocks," Orton said. "He throws good enough. He's smart. He has a great personality. He's able to handle different pitchers. That's one thing I really like about him. He makes visits (to the mound) at the right time. He has a good feel."

Defense was once considered Flowers' deficiency.

Watching Jake Peavy pretty close I think. Also hope Viciedo can shine today. Interesting game and I am not sure we will get it on FOX out here. I see they have the Phillies-Twins game listed for broadcast

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
I wish Dayan's glove was a sure thing. This team is winning with pitching and defense...I'd rather he DH but I understand Vizquel can not play every day.

They have to see what he can do and of course the DH is not an option at Nationals park

I think it's probably a good idea not to set high expectations for Viciedo too early.

He's a 21 year old about to see major league pitching for the first time. And he's vulnerable to good offspeed stuff.

At this point, I would gladly settle for not sucking while he gets valuable experience.

And if he makes a contribution I'll consider it a plus.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
MDGonzales

Sox lineup (no Viciedo): Pierre lf, Vizquel 3b, Kotsay 1b, Jones cf, Quentin rf, AJ c, Ramirez ss, Beckham 2b, Peavy p

WTF? Why the hell is Viciedo up? He is gonna sit on the bench, get inconsistent at-bats and then perform poorly. He'll then lose his confidence, get sent down to AAA and continue to suck there. And we will have killed yet another Sox prospect by egregiously mishandling him. I am serious, this is downright ridiculous the lack of communication between KW and Ozzie.