YET ANOTHER WHITE SOX WINNER

kapkomet

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
I want to move Beckham to Charlotte, not to SS.

Today's suggested move: Viciedo to starting at 3b, Vizquel to 2b, beckham to Charlotte. Viciedo's going to be lucky to get a game a week ahead of Vizquel if Omar only has 3b to play at, and hell, Vizquel's outhitting Beckham by a lot lately. Plus, calling up Viciedo and benching him is as stupid of a move as you could possibly come up with.

One of the main reasons for calling up Viciedo was to give Vizquel significant rest. He's playing WAY too much right now, the guy is 43 and not physically capable of playing everyday. He was brought in here to be a part time player and that's the role he'll find himself in very soon.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lets hope Peavy feels alright after going the distance

but you gotta respect the guy, sore shoulder and all, but he goes out and gives everything he's got. You can see while throwing the last few pitches and walking off the mound, his face is grimacing a bit. but i am glad that he's able to finish up what he started.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 06:56 PM)
One of the main reasons for calling up Viciedo was to give Vizquel significant rest. He's playing WAY too much right now, the guy is 43 and not physically capable of playing everyday. He was brought in here to be a part time player and that's the role he'll find himself in very soon.

Repeat that to me later this week when our manager has benched Vicideo 6 games out of 7 to keep Vizquel in the 2 hole.

Really Kal, you know the reality as much as I do. The only way Ozzie is resting Vizquel right now is if Herm Schneider tells him to.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
Dude, just shut up (and I say that respectfully) and enjoy the run.

True. But his defense is to a degree offsetting his mediocre offense. Anybody who wants to move Beckham to SS needs a serious reality check.

I am. There's no reason our starting pitching should have ever been worst in the AL. But it was. Our offense, yes I could've guessed that. BUt the point stands - in 2001 we had a 22-7 run to roar us back to .500 and over. This is the wonderful part about being in the AL, june can serve as a downhill slope in a marathon. Hopefully it can slingshot us forward. I think an offensive addition at this point (ala 2003 - except get actual good offensive players) could really pick the team up. I'd rather not just say "see, we're fixed, this is how we were supposed to play."

I think I'm getting hang of this. You'll know what to do with your AL team after June. If they couldn't do anything during interleague to pick themselves up (if previously struggling), you are f***ed. Unload, play for draft, bring up your young'ens.

If you succeed against the weak NL, then diagnose what is still plaguing them during those times and try to fix it.

So yes, our pitching (strength) is back. Now what?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
lets hope Peavy feels alright after going the distance

but you gotta respect the guy, sore shoulder and all, but he goes out and gives everything he's got. You can see while throwing the last few pitches and walking off the mound, his face is grimacing a bit. but i am glad that he's able to finish up what he started.

I think he was just pissed about walking a guy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)

Fix Quentin and Beckham and you've got a shot. Or replace Beckham with Viciedo somehow.

Adding a DH would be nice, but it's not going to help if Quentin hits like Kotsay the rest of the year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
Fix Quentin and Beckham and you've got a shot. Or replace Beckham with Viciedo somehow.

Adding a DH would be nice, but it's not going to help if Quentin hits like Kotsay the rest of the year.

no, that's the exact opposite of what will help. These guys might pull it together, might not, it's 2.5 months in, this team is probably going to be pretty similar to what you'll get. Fix it now, or hold a press conference and say "we are comfortable putting together .500 teams."

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
no, that's the exact opposite of what will help. These guys might pull it together, might not, it's 2.5 months in, this team is probably going to be pretty similar to what you'll get. Fix it now, or hold a press conference and say "we are comfortable putting together .500 teams."

Huh?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
I am. There's no reason our starting pitching should have ever been worst in the AL. But it was. Our offense, yes I could've guessed that. BUt the point stands - in 2001 we had a 22-7 run to roar us back to .500 and over. This is the wonderful part about being in the AL, june can serve as a downhill slope in a marathon. Hopefully it can slingshot us forward. I think an offensive addition at this point (ala 2003 - except get actual good offensive players) could really pick the team up. I'd rather not just say "see, we're fixed, this is how we were supposed to play."

I think I'm getting hang of this. You'll know what to do with your AL team after June. If they couldn't do anything during interleague to pick themselves up (if previously struggling), you are f***ed. Unload, play for draft, bring up your young'ens.

If you succeed against the weak NL, then diagnose what is still plaguing them during those times and try to fix it.

I understand the skepticism. I'm certainly not elevating this team as one of the top teams in the AL. Not yet. But just a couple weeks ago it looked like 2007 all over again. We're playing meaningful baseball again. That feels pretty f***ing good. The pitching is finally dominating like expected. Offense is still a major question mark. Will see what happens. All I know is we have the most aggressive, and most importantly, ballsy GM in baseball. If this team continues to play well, he'll bring in some offense. No doubt in my mind.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
Huh?

You want to just continue to wait for players to perform. I've seen this song and dance for the past decade. I'd like to see them try and get passed win 82 and go for 90 more proactively than "we'll, these players will turn it around"

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
I understand the skepticism. I'm certainly not elevating this team as one of the top teams in the AL. Not yet. But just a couple weeks ago it looked like 2007 all over again. We're playing meaningful baseball again. That feels pretty f***ing good. The pitching is finally dominating like expected. Offense is still a major question mark. Will see what happens. All I know is we have the most aggressive, and most importantly, ballsy GM in baseball. If this team continues to play well, he'll bring in some offense. No doubt in my mind.

Well, as I said in the other winner thread, the difference in 2007 and our other winning-but-not playoff years, was interleague. We played awful in interleague that year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
You want to just continue to wait for players to perform. I've seen this song and dance for the past decade. I'd like to see them try and get passed win 82 and go for 90 more proactively than "we'll, these players will turn it around"

So, you're ready to replace Quentin and trade Beckham to bring in his replacement? Unless you're ready to do that, then you're protecting the same song and dance.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
Well then. So much for pulling within 4.5 of the Twins.

Bah, I'm going to worry about the Sox winning games for now. It needs to get a lot closer before I can genuinely start caring about the Twins.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)

put Dayan at 3rd and omar at 2b...I'm loving Omar in the 2 hole

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
put Dayan at 3rd and omar at 2b...I'm loving Omar in the 2 hole

Defense is important. Put Dayan at DH, leave Vizquel at 3B and put Lillibridge at 2B while Beckham gets his s*** together in Charlotte. Should've kept Nix at 2B and sent Beckham down for a couple of weeks but that ship has sailed.