If we do get back in this. . .

GreatScott82

JR hinted that the team has the resources to add to it. KW mentioned in spring training that there is something here that we don't see right now. The Sox are currently 5.5 games back and seem to be turning things around defensively and with our starting pitching. With that being said, if this team wants to make a serious run at the division, KW needs to add a bat. Teams out there who are clearly 'out of it' include the: Brewers, Astros, Pirates, Diamondbacks, Nationals, Mariners, Orioles, Cleveland and KC.

I have mentioned Prince Fielder before but since his agent is Boras its highly unlikely he comes here. Adam Dunn and Lance Berkman who are both on the final years of their contracts. Who do you like who is out there?

Edited by GreatScott82

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
JR hinted that the team has the resources to add to it. KW mentioned in spring training that there is something here that we don't see right now. The Sox are currently 5.5 games back and seem to be turning things around defensively and with our starting pitching. With that being said, if this team wants to make a serious run at the division, KW needs to add a bat. Teams out there who are clearly 'out of it' include the: Brewers, Astros, Pirates, Diamondbacks, Nationals, Mariners, Orioles, Cleveland and KC.

I have mentioned Prince Fielder before but since his agent is Boras its highly unlikely he comes here. Adam Dunn and Lance Berkman who are both on the final years of their contracts. Who do you like who is out there?

If we are making a move it has got to be for a LH power bat. I think the cheapest move can be getting Adam LaRoche from AZ. He is only due about 2.5 million more this season and will be a FA at the end of the year and AZ wants to shed salary.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
Id imagine its Berkman if we add a bat, LaRoche isnt enough of an upgrade to make a difference and most other guys would cost too much.

LaRoche would be a huge upgrade over Kotsay/Jones. Anyone would for that matter.

Lance Berkman wouldn't help that much either, and even if he did get hot and find his old self, he'd still be a 1/2 stop gap. We need someone who is young and an impact bat.

Whatever it would take to get and pay Fielder, we should do it.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Lance Berkman wouldn't help that much either, and even if he did get hot and find his old self, he'd still be a 1/2 stop gap. We need someone who is young and an impact bat.

Isn't a mid season deal meant to be a stopgap for the rest of the season? Fielder would mean emptying out the farm system and then hoping to have enough money to sign him long term. The Sox need a rental for this season if they are indeed back in the race.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)

Fielder would be just what the doctor ordered. But since Boras is his agent he would most likely be a 1.5 rent-a-player. He would most likely cost the most prospects as well. Adam Dunn wouldn't cost as many prospects since this is the final year of his contract. I do agree with your assesment of Berkman. His low average worries me. LaRoche is a very interesting name. . but Im thinking KW wants a guy with a little more power.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Fielder would be just what the doctor ordered. But since Boras is his agent he would most likely be a 1.5 rent-a-player. He would most likely cost the most prospects as well. Adam Dunn wouldn't cost as many prospects since this is the final year of his contract. I do agree with your assesment of Berkman. His low average worries me. LaRoche is a very interesting name. . but Im thinking KW wants a guy with a little more power.

What you have to remember with Dunn though is that the Nats shouldn't hesitate to offer him arbitration, and he's going to be a type A free agent almost certainly.

So, the Nats can probably expect to get a late first round pick and a sandwich pick for him this offseason.

Therefore...you need to offer something more valuable than those picks. I don't think Hudson for Dunn alone is enough when you count the draft picks.

Some interesting numbers with their pro-rated remaining 2010 salary as of July 31st:

Adam Dunn (4.08 mil)- .283 Avg, .376 OBP, 16 HR, 39 RBI.

Prince Fielder (3.57 mil, 11 mil next year)- .260 Avg, .397 OBP, 13 HR, 26 RBI.

Adam LaRoche (2.38 mil)- .260 Avg, .348 OBP, 9 HR, 42 RBI.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
What you have to remember with Dunn though is that the Nats shouldn't hesitate to offer him arbitration, and he's going to be a type A free agent almost certainly.

So, the Nats can probably expect to get a late first round pick and a sandwich pick for him this offseason.

Therefore...you need to offer something more valuable than those picks. I don't think Hudson for Dunn alone is enough when you count the draft picks.

Do you actually think it would take both Hudson and Flowers for 1/3 season of Dunn?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
Do you actually think it would take both Hudson and Flowers for 1/3 season of Dunn?

I think that if I'm the Nats and you're not willing to give up that much, I'm happier holding Dunn. So yeah.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
Some interesting numbers with their pro-rated remaining 2010 salary as of July 31st:

Fielder,Dunn and LaRoche are the order of them in terms of production and value. Now how much of your farm system do you want to give away? Fielder would completely empty it out. Dunn would require someone of Hudson or Flowers I would think and LaRoche would require a good single A ballplayer or 2. I think we should give up the single A guy(s) and get LaRoche. We need Hudson and Flowers in the future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)

I disagree. Hudson is major league ready and will cost pretty much nothing over the next three seasons. Those draft picks aren't necessarily cheap and will take several years to develop if at all. IMO, Hudson would be of greater value.

Regardless, the Sox better not move Hudson for a rental player like Dunn. We need him in the rotation next year to save some money. I also think we got to keep Viciedo and Flowers. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave a lot of attractive prospects to build a deal around for a potential bat. I think if a move is made, Morel will be the centerpiece of the deal. While I think he's a solid prospect, his value will never be higher. We're not going to get Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez, but I think we should be able to get a pretty solid bat if Morel is part of a package.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
I think that if I'm the Nats and you're not willing to give up that much, I'm happier holding Dunn. So yeah.

You'd rather have two draft picks than Dan Hudson? I mean, Hudon could very well be their #2 or #3 starter next season.

Let me put it this way, if you are the Nationals GM and suppose Hudson is already part of your organization, would you move him for two draft picks?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
You'd rather have two draft picks than Dan Hudson? I mean, Hudon could very well be their #2 or #3 starter next season.

Let me put it this way, if you are the Nationals GM and suppose Hudson is already part of your organization, would you move him for two draft picks?

Honestly, no I don't think I would, not if I thought one pick would be between 15-30 (and I don't really think that Dunn is going to wind up going to a sub -.500 team again this year).

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)

LaRoche's career #'s pre and post all-star break. He's consistently better later in the season. Not a bad cheap addition, plus he gives Paulie even more days at DH, keeping him fresh.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

528 1816 250 460 130 5 72 284 205 442 3 4 .253 .329 .449 .779

374 1290 188 387 92 3 73 227 131 316 1 4 .300 .363 .546 .909

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
LaRoche's career #'s pre and post all-star break. He's consistently better later in the season. Not a bad cheap addition, plus he gives Paulie even more days at DH, keeping him fresh.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

528 1816 250 460 130 5 72 284 205 442 3 4 .253 .329 .449 .779

374 1290 188 387 92 3 73 227 131 316 1 4 .300 .363 .546 .909

If we traded for LaRoche it would make Konerko the everyday DH, Im pretty sure he is supposed to be a plus fielder.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
If we traded for LaRoche it would make Konerko the everyday DH, Im pretty sure he is supposed to be a plus fielder.

He and Konerko aren't much different.

But you usually want the left handed 1B.

To me Berkman makes the most sense. We have very little to offer from the farm, and you don't want to trade any of our few prospects (Hudson, Flowers, Viciedo).

Taking on Berkman's big salary would seem to require us to give up less. He's had a down year so far, but is clearly better than LaRoche and will be over the course of, I don't know, the next 3 seasons.