If we do get back in this. . .

GreatScott82

Adam Dunn's projected numbers for the rest of the year (By ZiPS): .265/.387/.532 with a .400 wOBA.

Having him in the middle of the order would be a dream.

Adam LaRoche's Rest of season projection: .282/.361/.503 with a .376 wOBA.

The difference here is a good hitter and an elite hitter.

As a full-time 1B for the rest of the year with those numbers, paired with an estimated UZR of 2.6, Adam LaRoche is worth 1.8 wins above replacement, making him a 2.8 WAR player on the year.

When you take into consideration of how bad Mark Kotsay and Andruw Jones are, that's a huge improvement.

With a platoon of Kotsay and Jones for the rest of the year at DH, we should expect basically no WAR, if not negative WAR (sad, isn't it?).

So LaRoche is at least a 2 win upgrade over what we currently have.

Dunn, as a DH, would yield 2.3 WAR, so he's technically a 2.5 WAR upgrade.

Dunn would cost a lot more than LaRoche.

I'd say go for LaRoche. Plus he's got an option for next year.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for those wondering about Berkman, he's projected to hit with a .385 wOBA for the rest of the year.

He's not worth much more than LaRoche in terms of value.

You're overpaying if you go for him.

QUOTE (goblue5699 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
Kevin Kouzmanoff

Nearly a 1.000 OPS in June and it wouldn't take much to acquire him. I still don't really believe we've turned the corner, but going after a guy like him would be fine with me.

Great defender, not much of a hitter.

If we can acquire him and LaRoche, that'd be awesome.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
Loney wouldn't require Gavin.

We shouldn't have to get rid of any big pieces for this bat we're trying to get.

Speaking of Dodgers players, I'd kill to try and get Andre Ethier, but that would be the ultimate kings ransom.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
Speaking of Dodgers players, I'd kill to try and get Andre Ethier, but that would be the ultimate kings ransom.

And the Dodgers have no incentive to trade him...

Lance Berkman is probably the most realistic best-case option for the team. He's obviously available, in the final year of his deal, and, even if he is a Type A (I'm sure he is), it would cost too much for either the Sox or Astros to offer him arbitration, which brings his value down. I wouldn't give up Hudson, Flowers, or Viciedo for him, which really limits the number of players who you can trade for him while still being able to attain him, so I'm not sure what you do.

One thing I really like about Berkman is his ability to hit opposite field home runs. It really had no bearing on Thome, who was a beast of a man and could hit the ball 450 to any direction, but having a guy who can get it into the jet stream into the LF seats would be a great asset to have. All 4 of Berkman's homers this season at Minute Maid have gone to LF, and 12 of his 14 went there last year.

If the team actually does look for a piece to help this club out, getting someone who can be an absolute difference maker would be preferable to getting an additional piece. If the lineup was already good, I'd say that LaRoche would be fine, but at his absolute best, Lance Berkman is one of the better hitters in the game (whether he can still perform at his absolute best is a different issue all together).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
I would love Dunn.

But I think LaRoche is the realistic one here.

Fielder's out of our league.

I agree with this. Dunn is ideal, but if we gave up a B prospect or two for LaRoche, I'd be happy. He's a huge upgrade over Kotsay and will likely benefit from the Cell.

Also, Ozzie would rotate LaRoche and Konerko at 1B and DH no matter who is better defensively.

Does anyone think KW might try his hand at gambling again when the tribe put Hafner on waivers? hoping to party like its 2006 again ala Rios?

If so the sox would be on the hook for the pro ration of 2010's $11.5M, $13M for 2011, $13M for 2012 and at the very least 2.75 for 2013.

Also i would be pro Austin Kearns and Russell Branyan for CQ+

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
Does anyone think KW might try his hand at gambling again when the tribe put Hafner on waivers? hoping to party like its 2006 again ala Rios?

If so the sox would be on the hook for the pro ration of 2010's $11.5M, $13M for 2011, $13M for 2012 and at the very least 2.75 for 2013.

Ugh. I really hope NONE of that happens.

Can we please stop talking about Lance Berkman until he starts hitting at all? He has been back for almost two months and he hais still been awful. His power numbers are worse than Andruw Jones. Until he figures out what he did in the past, he is not very useful.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)

Hafner is too expensive.

He'd be a decent guy to have, since he'll post a decent OPS/wOBA for a DH, but at that price? Hell no.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
Can we please stop talking about Lance Berkman until he starts hitting at all? He has been back for almost two months and he hais still been awful. His power numbers are worse than Andruw Jones. Until he figures out what he did in the past, he is not very useful.

I agree with this.

The only benefit to this is that he'll be less expensive. But we really don't know if he'll ever rebound given his age and his regression since last year.

I think the Nats believe they can re-sign Dunn, and they won't want to kill the middle of their order just when they expect their pitching to improve dramatically. So, as much as he would look very good in the #5 hole, I doubt it's happening without the Sox overpaying for him. Plus, I seem to recall him saying he doesn't want to DH.

realistically i'd love to see Laroche or Luke Scott. What I would love to see is them giving Hudson a start or 2 to kinda judge whether or not the can send say a Gavin Floyd for Dunn or Fielder. Or another name thats mentioned on here a lot is Kila Ka'aihue and i might even give up flowers to get him.

We can't give up Tyler Flowers for an unproven AAA/AAA+/AAAA hitter.

Need to get more back than that, Flowers/Viciedo/Beckham all have to hit well going forward for our payroll to stand a chance. I just think they have to make a decision this year...AJ is what he is, and he's reached the limits of his ability with age/wear and tear starting to creep into his game.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)
realistically i'd love to see Laroche or Luke Scott. What I would love to see is them giving Hudson a start or 2 to kinda judge whether or not the can send say a Gavin Floyd for Dunn or Fielder. Or another name thats mentioned on here a lot is Kila Ka'aihue and i might even give up flowers to get him.

I'll throw Brad Hawpe's name out there, .281/.367/.467/.834. Won't really cost much, talent-wise.

I think I'd rather have LaRoche than Scott. Both are nice players, but I'd be reluctant with Scott by how he fell off last year after the ASB. His Pre-ASB OPS was .976 and post was .667. While on the other hand, it's almost a sure thing LaRoche will have two amazing months in the second half of the season.

Watching the Sox play in National Park(how the ball just seemed to hang up in the outfield) it's incredible to think Dunn hit 38 homers last year. And beyond comprehension on what he'd hit at US Cellular. If the White Sox are buyers: Dunn, LaRoche, Hawpe; seem like the three names that would come up, maybe an improbable chance of a Fielder trade. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Let's see if we can continue this after interleague play.

Well I was one of the first on the Berkman bandwagon since the off-season (still like him a bit.. I mean who would want to be up to play for a terrible Stros team?) but since I'll "jump the gun" here or "play along" in this thread with the sox playing well, one name I like (maybe it's because I think he is underrated) and who can fit more financially for the sox (with the same versatility Ozzie likes) is Garrett Jones.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)
Well I was one of the first on the Berkman bandwagon since the off-season (still like him a bit.. I mean who would want to be up to play for a terrible Stros team?) but since I'll "jump the gun" here or "play along" in this thread with the sox playing well, one name I like (maybe it's because I think he is underrated) and who can fit more financially for the sox (with the same versatility Ozzie likes) is Garrett Jones.

Man, what is with you and Garrett Jones? Your obsession is very similar to that of Glenn Close's with Michael Douglas.

Edited by Jordan4life