If we do get back in this. . .

GreatScott82

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
They are 4.5 games back, with a heck of a pitching staff. There is no way in hell they are going to give up in mid-June at 4.5 games back.

What the f*** is the point of even having a professional team if that is going to be the way they operate. This is pure and absolute nonsense.

I hope you were asking that same question in 1997 when Kenny gave up just 3.5 back. :P

EDIT: And chasing 1 team.

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
They are 4.5 games back, with a heck of a pitching staff. There is no way in hell they are going to give up in mid-June at 4.5 games back.

What the f*** is the point of even having a professional team if that is going to be the way they operate. This is pure and absolute nonsense.

If you're willing to overpay for one of their players (i.e. Hudson for Gonzalez) I'm sure they'd be happy to do that deal. But there's no good reason for them to sell right now, you're correct.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
If you're willing to overpay for one of their players (i.e. Hudson for Gonzalez) I'm sure they'd be happy to do that deal. But there's no good reason for them to sell right now, you're correct.

Are you willing to overpay for Alex Gonzalez?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)

The Sox didn't have anything close to "a heck of a pitching staff" in '97, when Schueler sold off 3.5 games behind Cleveland.

That said, I agree that Kenny won't sell if we're still this close a month from now.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
The Sox didn't have anything close to "a heck of a pitching staff" in '97, when Schueler sold off 3.5 games behind Cleveland.

That said, I agree that Kenny won't sell if we're still this close a month from now.

I'm not talking about the Sox. I'm talking about the Blue Jays.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)

God No.

IMO, if we're going to upgrade this team...by far the best way to do it is "fix Beckham and Quentin".

With the looming surge of players hitting FA or being cut (I count 10) from the major league roster after this season, it's simple numbers. Even if Flowers or Hudson struggle next year...we need them to be warm bodies as much as anything else.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)

It would depend on what overpaying was. Overpaying for a journeyman veteran stopgap SS who realistically is only a couple years from retirement may not be all too big of an overpayment. Basically, if I were Kenny, there would be players on the farm whom I would never under any circumstances trade for Alex Gonzalez - no matter what time of year - and then there would be other players who were drafted specifically to be the types of guys you give up for an Alex Gonzalez-type of player. I'd call the Jays and make an offer from the latter pool, and if they wanted a little bit better player from that group because it's not July yet, I'd give them one. Because I wouldn't care enough not to.

IMO Kenny is too smart anyway to pull a Bavasi and dump off a Choo or Asdrubal Cabrera for platoon players. And if the Jays wanted a deal like that, then move on. But I'd look for some help because I never want to see Mark Teahen play 3B again unless he's doing it for the opponent. Scratch that, I never want to see him put on a uniform again unless it's for the opponent. So Omar will need some help, and Viciedo probably isn't ready to play MLB defense (although his bat may very well come in handy if he's used correctly).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
Full time pinch hitter against National League opponents.

I think he could probably play a little bit here and there. Maybe you hide him somewhere for 7 innings to give someone else a rest and then bring in a replacement. If he's up here swinging the bat like he did in his debut then you always want to leave the door open just a little for the possible phenom factor, just in the off chance the kid gets hot and starts to go off. You want that energy on the team if that happens, so I'd try to let him play a little bit until he proved at the MLB level that he couldn't handle anything defensively.

But yeah, under no circumstances should he be a regular position player right now. If for any reason he did get hot and start to make the girls panties wet then you put him at DH and feed somebody to the dogs.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
It would depend on what overpaying was. Overpaying for a journeyman veteran stopgap SS who realistically is only a couple years from retirement may not be all too big of an overpayment. Basically, if I were Kenny, there would be players on the farm whom I would never under any circumstances trade for Alex Gonzalez - no matter what time of year - and then there would be other players who were drafted specifically to be the types of guys you give up for an Alex Gonzalez-type of player. I'd call the Jays and make an offer from the latter pool, and if they wanted a little bit better player from that group because it's not July yet, I'd give them one. Because I wouldn't care enough not to.

IMO Kenny is too smart anyway to pull a Bavasi and dump off a Choo or Asdrubal Cabrera for platoon players. And if the Jays wanted a deal like that, then move on. But I'd look for some help because I never want to see Mark Teahen play 3B again unless he's doing it for the opponent. Scratch that, I never want to see him put on a uniform again unless it's for the opponent. So Omar will need some help, and Viciedo probably isn't ready to play MLB defense (although his bat may very well come in handy if he's used correctly).

Teahen is going to play. We're going to have to live with that.

I don't mind trading some schmuck for Gonzalez, but I don't see why the Jays are going to trade him for some schmuck.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
Teahen is going to play. We're going to have to live with that.

I don't mind trading some schmuck for Gonzalez, but I don't see why the Jays are going to trade him for some schmuck.

I didn't mean trade them a schmuck, I meant trade them someone who has a chance but probably won't matter in the end. Like, give them a deal around Leesman or something.

But it doesn't matter anyway. I see Gonzalez has a $2.5M club option for 2011 so he'll probably cost more than I originally thought. I thought it was just a straight 1-year deal.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
I never want to see Mark Teahen play 3B again unless he's doing it for the opponent. Scratch that, I never want to see him put on a uniform again unless it's for the opponent.

He was our 4th best hitter on the season when he went down. Nobody has overtaken him since, and Jones has done everything in his power to make Teahen 3rd best. He would have done it already if he played more than twice a week. By your logic, you should not want to see anyone put on a Sox uniform other than Rios or Konerko.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
He was our 4th best hitter on the season when he went down. Nobody has overtaken him since, and Jones has done everything in his power to make Teahen 3rd best. He would have done it already if he played more than twice a week. By your logic, you should not want to see anyone put on a Sox uniform other than Rios or Konerko.

Teahen's problem right now is that last year, he was a somewhat below average 3b. This year, he's been substantially worse than last year and worse than his career performance at that base, and his bat hasn't made up for that. Going down from below average hurts you a lot. Vizquel has been a more valuable 3b than Teahen.

Plus, he has an OPS of like .400 against lefties.

If Teahen's really our third best position player, I'd still rather have Snopek/Norton/Herbert "Milkman" Perry down there. Quite a few complained when Joe Crede would be a mid 700's OPS guy (mostly due to his lack of walks), and he was one of the 2-3 best defenders in baseball most seasons. Teahen is one of the 2-3 worst, if not THE worst.

Vizquel and Viciedo? Yes. Just to have the alliteration with the two "V's" together.

Edited by caulfield12